PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had surgery?

Toby's my baby
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I was thinking about this as I as replying to PJ's Mom's thread "Have you ever had a broken bone?" I didn't get a chance to post it before I left so I desided to post it now.

Have you ever had surgery?
This also includes being put to sleep to have a bone set or something, like that.

Toby's my baby
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I have had a surgery to set my broken arm back in place, Carpal tunnel surgery on that same hand, and a surgery to fix my ankle, after I had broken it over a year later. I also had my tonsils out when I was seven. I am also have a surgery later this summer.

:)

:o

Samantha Puppy
05-26-2005, 10:56 AM
I had back surgery to correct spina bifida when I was a baby.

LeahMM
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I had surgery on my shoulder when I was 18. I had a recurring dislocation so they decided to put a 3 inch stainless steel screw into my shoulder. Oh I also had my tonsils taken out when I was nine.

LorraineO
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I have had MANY surgeries,,,,

1 kidney transplant
3 c sections
4 procedures due to kidney problems leading up to transplant....

I am a seasoned vet here!!! :D

kuhio98
05-26-2005, 11:18 AM
No, I've been lucky to have never had surgery in my 45 years.
Knock on wood!

petslover
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I have had ear surgery twice in two years.

Queen of Poop
05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Oral surgery for wisdom teeth (knocked out), carpal tunnel surgery (local).

slleipnir
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Just wisdom teeth..thankfully. I'm really afraid of surgery :o

lute
05-26-2005, 12:58 PM
when i was 6 months old i had gan green in my neck and had it removed. i also had a tumor on my leg a couple years ago.

nothing too big, but i'm still young.

PJ's Mom
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I had an emergency C-Section with one of my twins and I had reconstructive surgery to repair a tendon in my hand when I was smart enough to put it through a window. :rolleyes:

I got to watch the hand surgery and it was cool. :D

ramanth
05-26-2005, 01:24 PM
12 year molars removed.

Cyst removed on right foot and had a bunyon corrected/removed.

Laproscopic procedure/appendix removed.

Glacier
05-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I had to be knocked out to have my leg reset when I was 5 and my elbow when I was 7. I had shoulder surgery when I was 21, torn rotator cuff. And I had to have my wisdom teeth removed in hospital under a general. I have jaw problems and all four needed to be come out. The only way to keep my jaw open for that long was to knock me out.

RedHedd
05-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I had been born premature and breach; the docs used forceps to pull me from my mother. The forceps slipped and damaged the muscles in my eyelids. I had my first surgery when I was around 18 months old to correct the damaged muscles in my eyelids. It took two more surgeries, spaced out over 13 years to get to the final correction.

My next surgery was for a breast cancer scare in 1996. That one was benign, however in 1997 they found lumps that were not benign. With my breast cancer I had a total of 9 (I think) surgeries for lumpectomies, then the mastectomy and reconstruction over a period of 2-3 years. Somewhere in there I also had a back surgery to remove a cyst that was pressing on nerves in my spine.

I've gotten so blase about the whole pre-surgery prep, going under, coming to as I've been through it so many times. I even know the nurses and anesthesiologists and which hospital has the best care. Scary! I hope I don't have to go through too many more, however my breast reconstruction has to have some work done on it; just not this year as I've too busy dealing with the earthquake retrofit on my apartment building.

k9krazee
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I had surgery on my foot to remove an extra bone about 3 years ago! I have a twin brother and we always joked that he is probably missing one ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Several times!

age 5 : tonsils removed
age 35 : nose operation: I could hardly breathe through my nose before!

age 40: ear operation: I was getting deaf in my right ear. So one of the 3 middle ear bones was removed and replaced by tificial one. Tough recovery

age 47: major back surgery. They operated from the belly-side! One disc was completely removed, and a new one, made of titanium, was inserted. Very risky operation.....

wolfsoul
05-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Never! I've never been put under or anything. I've had 6 fillings and I was never even numbed for a single one of them. I think I'm pretty lucky! :)

chocolatepuppy
05-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Hernia surgery 8/6/99 I'll never forget that date! ;)

Glacier
05-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by chocolatepuppy
Hernia surgery 8/6/99 I'll never forget that date! ;)

Oh, my hubby just had that in February. If he had known how much it hurt, I think he would have kept the hernia instead!

The Cat Factory
05-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Just dental surgery a few years ago. I have to go in for dental surgery again on July 8th to have my wisdom teeth removed.

carole
05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Very little so far, my tonsils as a child, and some oral surgery many years ago, fingers crossed.

Suki Wingy
05-26-2005, 04:03 PM
no, 5 teeth pulled, though

catnapper
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I had my gallbladder removed when I was 19. Everyone was against me having the surgery, but it was the best thing I ever did. Everyone in my faily who bragged that they had gallbladder problems but controlled them with meds had to have it out long after my surgery and they had HARD recoveries since they were much older. I was up and running within days.

My Peanuts
05-26-2005, 04:34 PM
The only surgery I've ever had was Lasik in January. Btw, it's awesome; everyone who wears contacts or glasses should have it done. :)

davidpizzica
05-26-2005, 04:48 PM
I've been in the hospital a few times, but only one major surgery where I was knocked out. Last August the 18th I had a total knee replacement. Now I'm doing great with my store bought knee!

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Nope!:)

Vette
05-26-2005, 06:16 PM
The only surgery ive been through is having my wisdome teeth removed. but i chose to stay awake during it. i was so freaking scared i was literaly shaking. i wasnt even scared of the surgery part at all. im just really really shy. :o

Toby's my baby
05-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Lucky for the people who have never had surgery!

Jordan; you must have a really high pain threshold for not even needing numbing meds!! Jeez, lucky!

Cincy'sMom
05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Laproscopic procedure - Gall bladder removed in December

luvofallhorses
05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
No, but I will for my wisdom teeth in June *bites nails*

lizbud
05-26-2005, 08:00 PM
I have had four surgeries. Appendix removed as a child. Hernia
surgery twice. The second was in the same incision & to correct
what didn't get fixed in the first operation. Hurt like heck.:eek:
Last surgery was for breast cancer (lumpectomy).

RobiLee
05-26-2005, 09:09 PM
I've had:

Tonsils removed
ruptured ovarian cyst
abdominal hernia
complete hysterectomy
lymph node disection

chocolatepuppy
05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Oh, my hubby just had that in February. If he had known how much it hurt, I think he would have kept the hernia instead!

Amen to that, the hernia never really hurt,was just uncomfortable, but oh after the surgery! :eek: PAIN!

cocker_luva
05-26-2005, 10:58 PM
nope, lucky me...knock on wood

Karen
05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes. Eleven years ago I had brain surgery. I had an acoustic neuroma removed - that's a usually benign tumor on the hearing nerve. I am now deaf on the right side. I had lost some hearing in that ear, which is how the tumor was discovered. I was in the hospital for a week, away from work for four weeks. I had to relearn how to do things like roll over in bed, sit up, stand, and walk. One's balance is controlled by the same nerve as hearing is, so my body had to compensate for losing half of my balance.

I've also had my wisdom teeth out - had general anesthesia for that, as they were deeply embedded, and pointed 90-degrees off of what they should have been. I got lucky - my sister's were so bad they had to crack her jaw in one spot to get the tooth out.

And, third and most minor, I had a ganglion cyst removed from my wrist. That was only local anesthesia, but they wouldn't let me watch or anything - I was very disappointed.

gemini9961
05-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I guess I'm pretty lucky...no surgery here. Knock on wood :) Not even oral surgery yet for wisdom teeth...costs too much money and they don't really bother me yet. I have 6 wisdom teeth, yep I have 2 extra...so that means I pay more to get them out because I have extra. Just my luck.

Catsnclay
05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Oh my gosh, I think the hospital is my second home, and I KNOW I have paid for many a doctors brand new cars, boats, homes, etc :rolleyes:

Let's see, we will start when I was young: I was born with something called "coxavera" it is when your hips are not in the sockets, so at age 4 I remember being in a body cast for a very long time :eek: They had to do several surgeries to put my hips back together.

Then as a young child and teenager I had the 4 wisdom teeth taken out, and was put out for that.

In my early 20's I was in a car accident and was thrown up against the dash (no, I wasn't wearing a safety belt at the time :( ) and it shattered both my hips. I married the *jerk* who was driving the car, and he decided he couldn't *handle* all my surgeries so he divorced me......nice guy. So from 1978 until present time I've had both hips replaced and revised. Right side was operated on 9 different times and the left only twice, but they were major, they had to add bone to my pelvis area. Surgery was easy but the recovery for all was difficult.....couldn't put ANY weight on surgical leg for 6 - 8 weeks, then it was a little weight at a time. All in all the recovery period was over 6 months for each surgery. NOT fun.

Then I had a hystorectomy, cartlidge removed in both knees, twice. and now they are talking about a knee replacement.

Any one want to trade places with me??!! :rolleyes: :D

MariaM
05-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I sort of had surgery when I broke my arm teh first time. They put me under and moved the bone around, but they didn't actually cut open my skin. I also had a cyst near my eye when I was young. That's probably all I can think of.

cmayer31
05-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
...cartlidge removed in both knees, twice. and now they are talking about a knee replacement.

I too have had knee surgery from hockey incidents, and have had them mention knee replacement. No thanks, the first surgery did so little that I refused to let them touch my other knee.

davidpizzica
05-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Before my knee replacement, I had orthoscopic surgery done on that same knee (the left knee).

davidpizzica
05-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh my gosh, I think the hospital is my second home, and I KNOW I have paid for many a doctors brand new cars, boats, homes, etc :rolleyes:

Let's see, we will start when I was young: I was born with something called "coxavera" it is when your hips are not in the sockets, so at age 4 I remember being in a body cast for a very long time :eek: They had to do several surgeries to put my hips back together.

Then as a young child and teenager I had the 4 wisdom teeth taken out, and was put out for that.

In my early 20's I was in a car accident and was thrown up against the dash (no, I wasn't wearing a safety belt at the time :( ) and it shattered both my hips. I married the *jerk* who was driving the car, and he decided he couldn't *handle* all my surgeries so he divorced me......nice guy. So from 1978 until present time I've had both hips replaced and revised. Right side was operated on 9 different times and the left only twice, but they were major, they had to add bone to my pelvis area. Surgery was easy but the recovery for all was difficult.....couldn't put ANY weight on surgical leg for 6 - 8 weeks, then it was a little weight at a time. All in all the recovery period was over 6 months for each surgery. NOT fun.

Then I had a hystorectomy, cartlidge removed in both knees, twice. and now they are talking about a knee replacement.

Any one want to trade places with me??!! :rolleyes: :D Catsinclay, a knee replacement is no fun! I just had my left knee replaced last Augst 18th, but I really needed it. Now I'm walking just about normally!

Catsnclay
05-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks David for the info. I've heard that knee replacements are no fun, so untill I have to be dragged around :eek: :rolleyes: that is when I *might* consider the surgery!! :D

Believe me, I am NOT looking forward to it!! But thanks for your insight.

The doctors are amazed that after 11 hip surgeries I'm still walking around :rolleyes: . I refuse to give up!!

Toby's my baby
05-28-2005, 01:09 PM

Any one want to trade places with me??!! :rolleyes: :D

WOW!! That is a lot of surgeries!! All your hip surgeries, were they spread out over a long period of time??

I have had 3 surgeries in the last 7 months, I thought that was bad!

I am glad you are still up and about! :)

animal_rescue
05-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I've had three surguries
I got my tonsils(sp?) removed when I was in 2nd grade
I had my nose sewed back on when I think I was 5 or 6
About 3 weeks ago I had my ingrown tonail removed

davidpizzica
05-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks David for the info. I've heard that knee replacements are no fun, so untill I have to be dragged around :eek: :rolleyes: that is when I *might* consider the surgery!! :D

Believe me, I am NOT looking forward to it!! But thanks for your insight.

The doctors are amazed that after 11 hip surgeries I'm still walking around :rolleyes: . I refuse to give up!! I had little to no cartilage in my left knee. First they tried orthoscopic surgery, but that didn't work. Second they tried a series of five injections of Suparts which was supposed to regenerate the cartilage, but that didn't work, either. Finally the replacement. I was fairly young for the replacement at 55, but after physical therapy, I can walk normally and go back to work as a golf course groundskeeper at which I do a lot of grass cutting! It was tough, but worth it!

LKPike
05-28-2005, 07:02 PM
my first was sometime in 2002, on my back to remove a cyst that concerned my doctor.

my second was may 11, involved removing 3 areas of my cervix...

K9karen
05-29-2005, 12:04 AM
How sad that I'm losing count. Never had prolonged hospital stays until Jan 2005, when I had vertebrae/disc surgery on my neck. June 7 I'm having spine surgery and will be in the hospital for 5-7 days. (Shaking with terror)

tootsie21
05-29-2005, 05:07 AM
i was told i had cervical cancer 4 yrs ago and had to have an hysterectomy :(

Jods
05-29-2005, 08:46 AM
I had tubes put in my ears a few times when I was small.
I Had a lump removed from my breast.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I had my ears pinned back (not literally pinned back), but you know, surgery so they wouldn't stick out. I had that when I was I think 12 years old. I was scared soooo bad!!