PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Mayo clinic

Toby's my baby
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Me and my family left for Rochester on Monday, after school got out, because my doctor refered us to a doctor there for the numbness in my hand. I have had numbness in my hand ever since I broke it last August. I have already had Carpal Tunnel surgery on it. On Tuesday, they did x-rays and on Wednesday I saw the doctor, Steven Moran. He told us that I would most likley have to have surgery on it again. He said the nerves might be getting smushed by bones from the break. After I saw the doctor he had me do an MRI of my hand. I had to have my hand outstretched over my head, which causes me a great deal of pain, for about an hour. It hurt a lot, but right before I was going to tell him to take me out it was over. The doctor also had me take and EMG which is a nerve and muscle test. For the first part they put a whole bunch of cords on your arm, then they shock you. It isnt too bad, but when my mom had it, she started crying:o, haha, then, the second part they stick a needle into your arm, and into the muscles. This was the 3rd time I have had this test.

The doctor is going to call us, but hopefully I dont have to have surgery, wish me luck!

SORRY TO VENT!!!:o

cloverfdx
05-26-2005, 10:45 AM
:( Oh no hun, i hope you do not need to have surgery again. I will keep you in my thoughts {{Hugs}}.

luvofallhorses
05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I hope you don't have to have surgery again :( ****hugs*****
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Logan
05-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Beth, you have had to endure a lot through this. I do hope they can get some answers for you, even if it means more surgery, and get you back to normal!!! Best wishes to you.

Logan

kimboe
05-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Good luck, i hope everything is ok!:)

NoahsMommy
05-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Those tests sure do sound uncomfortable. :(

I know when I have to have my CT scans and Bowel Series Xrays I'm soooo uncomfortable! How on earth are you supposed to lay flat on your stomach after drinking two bottles of barium is beyond me! :rolleyes:

Hope they can fix whatever is going on with your hand/nerves.

((Hugs)))

Toby's my baby
05-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers!! It means a lot!:)

wolfsoul
05-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Good luck! :) I hope everything is alright.

Karen
05-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I hope that if you do need to visit with Sir Jury again, that they can fix it once and truly forever, that would be worth it! And in any case, you'll be in our prayers.

moosmom
05-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Toby's My Baby,

It's called a Nerve Conduction Study. They take these tiny needles and put them in different spots and transmit electricity (not alot) to the nerve. It prints out the results on paper that pinpoints exactly what nerve is damaged. I had one a few years back because I was getting numbness and tingling in my hand. Turns out I've got a pinched nerve in my neck with major arthritic changes.

Toby's my baby
05-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Toby's My Baby,

It's called a Nerve Conduction Study. They take these tiny needles and put them in different spots and transmit electricity (not alot) to the nerve. It prints out the results on paper that pinpoints exactly what nerve is damaged. I had one a few years back because I was getting numbness and tingling in my hand. Turns out I've got a pinched nerve in my neck with major arthritic changes.

Yep, that sound about right! I had pinched nerves too, only I still do, did they fix yours??

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, I sure hope you don't have to have surgery!:( my mom actually went to the Mayo clinic less than a year ago for pain in her hands and feet and just plain acheyness...she's ok now, but she didn't find it too helpful.:(