PDA

View Full Version : purina and iams boycott

crazmeese
05-25-2005, 06:38 PM
go to www.iamscruelty.com watch the video:(

catmandu
05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
IS NUTRO MAX,WHICH I BUY,ALL RIGH6T,AS I DIDNT SEE,THIER NMAES,ON THE NON TESTERS.IF THIS,IS TRUE,THEN I WILL NO LONGER BUY IAMS,BUT I TAKE,WHAT PETA,SAYS,WITH A GRAIN,OF SALT.

Craftlady
05-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
IS NUTRO MAX,WHICH I BUY,ALL RIGH6T,AS I DIDNT SEE,THIER NMAES,ON THE NON TESTERS.IF THIS,IS TRUE,THEN I WILL NO LONGER BUY IAMS,BUT I TAKE,WHAT PETA,SAYS,WITH A GRAIN,OF SALT.

Gary,
Here is Nutro's homepage/site. This is a good company.
http://www.nutroproducts.com/default.asp

Kirsten
05-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Oh no, is Purina a IAMS product? :confused:

I had no idea!! I was so happy with Purina One for Indoor cats! Seemed to be so much healthier than Whiskas, and not as expensive as Hill's. And my girls love it! :( :( :(

Guess I'm going to change their diet back to Hill's now... :(

Kirsten

catmandu
05-26-2005, 08:43 AM
IAMS,HAS REALLY HURT,THIER REPUTATION,AS IT IS,BY HAVING THIERFOOD,ALL OVER THE PLACE,AS THE PET FOOD STORES DEPENDED,ON IAMS,TO BRING CUSTOMERS,INTO THIER STORE.IF A CONSUMER,CAN BUT IAMS,IN ANY GROCERY STORE,THEN THAT IS A CUSTOMER,THAT THE SPECAILTY PET FOOD STOE LOSES.I HOPE,THAT THAT IS NOT,THE REASON,THAT IAMS,IS BEING DROPPED,OR RELEGATED,TO GROCERY PET FOOD STAUS,IN THE STORES.IOF THEY ARE HURTING ANIMALS,I WOULD NEVER BE BUYING,THIER FOOD.AND PETA,HARDLY HAS CLEAN HANDS,AS THEY KILL,A LOT,OF STRAYS THEMSELVES.THE POT,CALLING,THE KETTLE BLACK,SO TO SPEAK.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture336.jpg

cruisetime
05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
As far as the shelters around here not supporting Iams - they kill all their animals within 1-2 weeks. 2 weeks only if they like them and have room. So to tell them not to support Iams is kind of funny.... :) :) :) Or sad..... :( :( I got both my cats from local kill shelters.

Max has been having a lot of eating problems as I have posted and I bought a small bag of Iams (2lb) at Walmart (I think it is much more convient that they carry it) to try it on Max and he is eating without throwing up for once. (I had him on Nutro and he threw up all the time). So I'm experiementing with it. If it does happen to be the food of choice then I will use it for my cats sake and be very thankful I can get it at Walmart now.... I don't like the ingredients as well as Nutro or Natural Balance but my cats don't like (will throw up) on either of those. So my cats come first as always.. :) :) Debbie

Uniqueviking
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
According to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Iams animal testing is a thing of the past.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iamsstatement

We believe that our access inside the headquarters of Iams, one of the world's largest animal-health companies, provides the animal welfare community with a unique opportunity to effect long-term change.

On October 7, 2004, Iams announced an unprecedented decision to move nutritional studies from external contract facilities and universities into three locations: 1) pet owners' homes; 2) Iams Pet Health and Nutritional Centers; and 3) organizations where dogs and cats are already living, such as shelters. This will ensure that dogs and cats are treated humanely during nutritional studies, and it is welcome news from a leader in the pet food industry.

The relationship between Iams and the ASPCA has resulted in many other significant improvements in animal care:
# Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President of the ASPCA Midwest Office, is a member of the Iams International Animal Care Advisory Board. As a member of the Board, Dr. Hansen has unlimited access to the research protocols and programs that the Iams Research and Development Department is undertaking. This type of access is unprecedented.
# Beginning in the Spring of 2003, the ASPCA began participating in site visits to external facilities where Iams was conducting nutritional studies. Reports on these visits have led Iams to make changes in the housing, care and enrichment of animals involved in Iams' program.
# Dr. Hansen and a broader ASPCA team continue to conduct unannounced external visits to locations where Iams is conducting nutritional studies. Reports on visits are posted on the ASPCA website, www.aspca.org, so that the public has complete access to the results and can learn about the care of dogs and cats at these research facilities. Iams is addressing the team's recommendations.
# Dr. Hansen and the Iams Advisory Board have strongly encouraged Iams to implement an unprecedented individualized program to ensure the well-being of each and every dog and cat participating in Iams nutritional studies. This program allows Iams to tailor its enrichment programs to meet the specific needs of individual pets.

Edit: Would just like to add I'm against any form of testing any product, whatever it may be, on animals.

Kirsten
05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know that!

Kirsten

wolfsoul
05-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Though Iams itself may no longer have unreputable testing facilities, it is owned by Proctor and Gamble which is probably the worst corporation when it comes to animal testing.