PDA

View Full Version : How many of your cats like lunchmeat? :)

Jayna78
05-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi there. Just wanted to report something funny and cute that my Claudia started in our house - she has started coming in the kitchen a lot (like Bailey always has), and the difference between her doing that and the other cats is that she comes in there expecting lunchmeat. I don't know how she figured out that she liked it, because we don't make a habit of feeding our cats humid food at all (of course, my dad giving them a little tiny bit of turkey at Thanksgiving might have had something to do with it, but she didn't start this behavior till recently)!

Claudia comes in - she just seems to know when I'm in the process of making my lunch for the next day at work (or just making a sandwich) and she meows and mews at me as if she's begging for turkey (that's pretty much the only lunchmeat I buy/eat). Sometimes I say "Claudia, do you want some turkey?", and her response almost sounds like she's saying the word "YES". She's hilarious - she even gets on her hind legs and does the dog-like begging sometimes. Well, her habit has spread to the other kitties, and sometimes they join her for tiny bits of turkey, and sometimes they don't. Amazing little creatures! :)

Oh, and someone tell me this - ever since we moved, Leo has started trying to eat and drink people food/drinks! He never used to like anything we had to eat or drink besides our water, and he used to do the whole scooping motion with his foot to "cover it up" like it was litter or something. Ever since we moved and he's gotten comfy in our new house, he gets up and tries to eat most of what we're eating, tries to drink milk out of my cereal bowl, etc. What's up with that, and has anyone else had this happen?

kuhio98
05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Cammie is our lunchmeat kitty. The girl can smell it for miles and comes running squeaking (she never meows). She could eat her weight in it every day if we let her. She adopted us when she was over 10 years old, so we're not sure where she got her lunchmeat "addiction".

Pepper is mildly interested and will eat a few bites. Halo will sniff, walk away and then notice that Cammie and Pepper are interested, so she'll come back and eat a bite or two. :rolleyes:

During Kuhio's last year, she was very sick with a hyperthyroid and very fast heart rate. Consequently, she could not keep her food down often. One of the things she could handle is lunchmeat and sandwich cheese. I'd mince it up as fine as possible and she's scarf it down. :D

christa
05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Josie LOVES turkey! We even started buying them their own shaved plain turkey breast from the deli counter. She knows the word "turkey" . . . :rolleyes:

Right now she's taking a break from it because it was all going to her hips! ;) So watch out if your kitties are watching their figures!

Glacier
05-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Ivy is an addict. She's usually a very calm, dignified kitty, but bring out the lunch meat and she looses her mind. She wacks my legs, meows, tries to climb the cupboard doors. Ham is her favorite, but she's eat any kind of lunch meat. She turns her nose up at all other human food.

Craftlady
05-25-2005, 01:50 PM
No lunch meat snatchers at our house. Skinny likes shredded cheese on salads :) Other than that all 3 stay away from human food comsumption. They will smell it but wont eat. :)

furrykidsmother
05-25-2005, 01:57 PM
All 4 of mine love Turkey lunchmeat (fortunately they like the Thin & Trim kind) and I have to cook an extra piece of chicken when I make chicken. They have been known to swipe chicken pieces right off your plate if you don't watch them.

Jayna78
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, my Claudia has more of a squeaky sound than an out-and-out meow, but the squeaks get really loud when lunchmeat is involved!

I use low-fat, low-calorie turkey (Carl Buddig - sometimes, it's smoked turkey and sometimes it's honey roasted cured). I don't give them much though - I want to keep our guys as slender as possible, though I think the new house is really giving them lots of exercise!

I enjoyed reading about your cats' affinity for lunchmeat!

catmandu
05-25-2005, 03:54 PM
SCRAPPY 2,POUNCETTE,AND RAGNAR,LOVE ANY KIND,OF LUNCH MEAT,THE REST,ARE VETERANS,AND WILL ONLY TOUCH,THE DELI SLICED TURKEY SLICES.THEY ALL LOVE,THE 5 YEAR OLD CHEDDAR,MY BIRTHDAY CAT,THE MOST,OF THEM ALL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture362.jpg

Catsnclay
05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
What is it about turkey that attracts cats?? Every Thanksgiving the cats are constantly begging for some. Must be the smell. All of them could be out cold in another room and as soon as I bring out the bird they are all there begging :eek:

Every once in a while they will get a *taste* of daddy's sandwich meat (ham) when I prepare his sandwich. We try not to feed them our food, but when you get those sweet faces looking up at you and those strong paws pulling your arm down......you sometimes just have to give in :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Turkey.....did someone say turkey???? My two get a bit of Sara Lee Honey Roasted turkey each morning and afternoon.

Edwina is partial to Arby's Roast Beef but I haven't seen an Arby's here behind the Orange Curtain.:(

kimboe
05-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Babe likes lunchmeat, but loves Pickles! I know it so weired but she loves them. I think its the saltyness from them.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid170/p6eeec06515af8d21f6704abe23046102/f3fa60d2.jpg.thumb

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Tinky is my little begger. Both of them enjoy the ocassional turkey-lunch-meat-treat.

But Tinky comes in the kitchen and begs for it.

Every time we go in the kitchen for anything .... she is in there meowing...:)

sirrahbed
05-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Robbie loves it!! He like the honey ham, white meat turkey and shredded roast beef. Yes, like Sara mentioned - we bring home Arby's and that kitty is all over us:D

Last week, DIL Chris brought over a jar of baby meatsticks for Misha - I think they are turkey...I opened those and both Robbie and Lizzie were obnoxious!! They do smell wonderful:) Misha was able to eat her chopped up stick but I had to swat kitties away:p

lady_zana
05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Oh, yes! Weezie is a *huge* lunchmeat fan! I have to tell you this story. It was about three years ago when she was still a little kitty. I was eating a Subway sandwich and it was roast beef. She *begged* for some and being the soft-hearted meowmy that I am, I pulled off one of the slices of roast beef. While I was tearing it up for her to eat, she made off with the remaining slice! Little booger bottom! Oh, but I love the little thief. ;)

smokey the elder
05-26-2005, 09:02 AM
That's like the time Bosun made off with half my chicken sub!:p :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Talking about lunchmeat!!

Our Maya smells it even from the other side of the house or garden! The minute I open the package, there she is, begging with her tiny high voice!!
Inka joins her then, as she wants everything that maya gets ( :rolleyes: ), but Maya is my lunchmeat-queen!!
her favorite is cooked ham :p :p :p

cruisetime
05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
My Meka loves it!!! Expecially - get this - roast beef!!! Now Max didn't seem that interested but the first time I got it out when he was there Meka of course wanted some so he had to come over and see and of course he likes it!!! :) :) Debbie

CalliesMom
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Callie LOVES lunch meat. Shadow and Whisper will lick the meat, but never eat it. Luckily, Callie is our little hoover and will eat what they left behind. ;)

catmandu
05-26-2005, 07:25 PM
LUNCHMEAT!WE WANT LUNCH MEAT! lUNCHMEAT,LUNCHMEAT,YEAH,YEAH,YEAH!STUFF,IT IN OUR MOUTHS,AND WE WILL LOOK LIKE PEAHS!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture185.jpg