PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Bloody Stool

cruisetime
05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
NO I DON"T HAVE A PICTURE!!! LOL

Every so often I find a really bloody offinsive smelling stool. I think I have figured out it is Max not Meka. So can this be from the hairballs - he is throwing them up. Can it be worms??? Meka was wormed when I got her from animal control but Max was not. The vet said he was healthly but I have my doughts now about that particular vet and am thinking about taking him to another for a checkup but dont' want to stress him out doing that unless necessary. He has also started meowing at the back door and wanting out bad! I don't dare let him out in my neighborhood. I have a fenced back yard but they are wooden and you know that is no chore for a cat. HE has darted out and if we don't chase him just act relaxed he doesn't go far around the back yard exploring and we are able to just walk up to him and pick him up and bring him inside... Any ideas? Meka terrorises him and backs him in places and stalks him - he is 1/2 again her size with long arms - I don't know what she is thinking - he could hurt her but he always let her hurt him without fighting back.... Why???? Thank you - I'm afraid I'm not worrying enough or am worrying tooo much.... Debbie

catmandu
05-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I AM NOT AN EXPERT,BUT BLLOD,ON A STOOL,COULD MEAN,THAT MAX IS A BIT CONSTIPATED,AND IS STRAINING,AT THE LITTER BOX,TO ELIMINATE.I HAD,THAT WITH THE MOOSE,AS HE IS OBESE,AND HAD,TO TAKE A LAXATIVE.AND THERE ARE DOMINANT,AND SUBMISSIVE CATS,IT DOES NOT MATTER,WHO IS BIGGER.

PROOF.OF THIS,IS BELOW

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture362.jpg
GET GOING,FATSO!! IM QUEEN,OF THIS CHAIR.

catnapper
05-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Occasionally Allen has bloody stool from being sore from diahhreah (sp?) and it goes away after one or two days. Allen gets the problem from sneaking food he's not allowed to eat - like milk from my ceral bowl or something else you might have leftover on a plate.

Has MAx has runny poo lately? If its worms, then Meka most likely will have them too since they are transferred in the litterboxes.

christa
05-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Christa to the rescue!

I have had a lot of experience with bloody stools! ;)

Josie had blood in her stools from the time we adopted her (6 weeks) until she was probably 9 months old! And we never could find what it was.

Wasn't worms.

Our vet tested probably 10 different samples that I took to him in a little plastic baggie! :eek:

Anyway . . . if it continues . . . get your cat on antibiotics!!!!!! We waited too long to get Josie on them and before we knew it, she had picked up a bad habit of scooting her butt across the carpet. I guess she was irritated & itchy so she scooted . . . not cool cleaning up bloody scoot marks in a rental!

Once she had taken her antibiotics, the bleeding stopped . . . the vets think it was a parasite that she carried from birth.

Good luck!

wolfsoul
05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Caleb had blood in the stool when he was younger. It turned out to be colitis. The Tripett I had been giving him was irritating his colon or something. Either way, it's best to get his stool checked. It could be a variety of things.

cruisetime
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Christa,

Was there blood in the stool all the time? This is probably once a week or two weeks. It is so hard for me to tell which cat is doing the diaherra (lump of the stuff) since they don;t always go when I'm there and they use the same boxes on purpose - even with two boxes. Meka had it before Max so I think it was her. The blood in the stool - the stool is not diaherra and not hard either.... I'm so confused you all. It doesn't happen all the time so it is hard for me to tell. THank you all. Debbie

kimlovescats
05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
If it is really foul smelling, yellowish and has blood ... most likely is Coccidia or another bacterial infection. Ask your vet for Albon!;)

Barbara
05-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Filou had blood in the stool once and it was coccidia too. Got a med and they were gone:)

He only had it like two days because I took him to the vet immediately so I cannot say whetehr it would have been all the time.

cruisetime
05-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Thank you all again - by the way I love the picture of the little cat telling the big one to get off her chair!!! :) :)

I'll watch more close - it is yellow like but I was afraid that was the food I was feeding as it is that color. Thank you for the help and I'll watch real close and call the vet probably - it is foul smelling. Debbie

Lacey
05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Zelda had that problem for a while also. Her stool was... poo pancakes. Not water, but not solid. Just a stinky thick blob around about the consistency of pancake batter, and every once in a while there'd be blood in it.

A quick trip to the vet confirmed my fears. My dear kitty had in the scientific terminology of the vet "some really nasty poop." :rolleyes: The cause was a lot of nasty bacteria.

So Zelda was given some antibiotics and some flagyl to be forced down her throat (because she wouldn't willingly touch it for anything) for about 5 days and she was soon giving nice, solid, blood-free poops.

BitsyNaceyDog
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I didn't read through everyone else's posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else said.
Bloody stool isn't something to worry about if he only has it occasionally, unless it's in great amounts. If it is a constant thing you my want to have your vet check him. Both animals and people too will get bloody stool when they have an irritated stomach. The irritation could be from constipation or diarrhea, something he ate could have caused it, or even nerves.

Probably more information than you need but... stress and nerves cause me to get blood in my stool. When I travel away from home, when one of my pets is sick, etc. My stomach always gets butterflies and then I get bloody stool along with it. :rolleyes:

I'd just keep an eye on him. You may want to even mark it on your calendar so if it happens again you can look back and see how long it has been since the time before.

cruisetime
05-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Kblaix - thank you! It isn't all the time at all like maybe one time was a week ago, now and then over a month ago. Meka is stressing him out bad. She keeps cornering him. I found him in the bathtub the other day by his litter and I wondered why he was sitting there. I walked twoward him and Meka was crouched by the toilet ready to pounce when he moved...... They both use the two litter boxes. They both want to put their mark on each one so it is so hard to tell which cat is doing what... Really it is my fault because we are not home much anymore. That could also be doing it - stressing them out. I'll keep a better eye on them both. Thanks again, Debbie

momcat
05-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi! Poor kitty! This sounds like a question for your vet. Just to rule out a serious problem. If you don't feel comfortable with the vet you have, ask other pet owners in your area for a recommendation. I hope you'll let us know how kitty is doing.....