PDA

View Full Version : Update on the GReat Transport

Logan
02-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Since Quanzhan and I are both involved with transporting many Goldens towards their "forever" homes tomorrow, I thought you might like an update. I just copied and pasted what I posted on the GR board. I know, I'm lazy...... :)

Good news!!! I just had an email that Red was sprung yesterday and is safe. Max will be picked up this afternoon. They're on their way to a better life. The lady who emailed me said that she took Red to the vet this morning because he was coughing. Now he has cough medicine and antibiotics to help him get better.

We will have 7 dogs total, traveling north tomorrow. Quanzhan, I have no idea how we will split them up. We might have crates, but I'm seriously doubting it because most of the vehicles in the transport can't hold enough crates. I'm sure we'll be fine. We all have made sure to have leashes handy. Should provide for an interesting trip.

We have the three year old mama dog, her three 10 week old puppies (we were originally told 4 weeks old), an 8 month old male (son of the same mama), Max (a golden mix), Red who is 1 year old golden, and then one 8 week old puppy who won't join the crowd until Quanzhan's leg of the journey (in Richmond). My oh my.....such fun. Something tells me that taking pictures is going to be hard.

I'll definitely fill you in later tomorrow.

Logan

PS. Dixieland Dancer, I think it is ultimately your rescue group who will be placing all of these dogs. Are you a part of GRAPE? They're the ones these dogs will ultimately end up with in Pennsylvania, sometime next week. What a terrific group to open their doors for these babies. :)

Dixieland Dancer
02-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Logan,
So many babies! They couldn't find homes for them? I don't understand this since I had a waiting list of over 50 people when Dixie had pups! They should be able to find homes with no problem. Poor mama dog. My heart goes out to her especially. Having a litter is hard enough on her but now she has to be rescued along with 4 of her babies from two different litters in less than a year! :eek:

Our organization is not the ones getting the loves. I am a part of the GPGRC (Greater Pittsburgh Golden Retriever Club). We are in western PA. GRAPE is from the eastern part of the state about 5 hours away.

aly
02-01-2002, 08:57 PM
Wow, a Golden would go in about a split second at my shelter. They are high in demand here. And we rarely get them in the shelters.

Logan, good luck with all the pups! Try to take some pictures even if they come out messed up and blurry from all the movement I'm sure there's going to be!

jackiesdaisy1935
02-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Good luck, Logan and please be careful and give each and every one of those babies a hug from me.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
02-02-2002, 08:06 AM
Safe journey, Logan. And hug and kiss as many of them as you can, for me!:) Good job everybody!! That's going to be one vehicle overflowing with "Gold!!"

Albea
02-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Logan:
What a wonderful thing you and Quanzhan are doing!!!
You are realy GOLDEN LADIES
Have a safe and fun trip, and hugs to all the pups from me.
How is Zack doing? He must be very happy now in his forever home with Quanzhan and her family.

Logan
02-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Thank goodness, everything went smoothly (just one potty accident inside the crate)! My friend, Karin, and I made it to Anderson in plenty of time, and the other driver heading to Spartanburg was already there.

Red, the Golden we were so concerned about was not able to make the trip. He has not eaten or taken in any water in two days. So, he is at the veterinarian, and seriously ill. Please keep that boy in your prayers. The lady that "sprung" him, Donna, said that he is very sweet, and she will keep me posted if she knows any further information about him. Max turned out not to be a Golden or Golden mix and was apparently very aggressive. Sadly, he was not taken out of the shelter yesterday as planned.

But, we did have "mama", whose name is Brianna, and she is darling, and a live wire!!! Brianna's three 10 week old Golden babies were adopted this week by various veterinary staff, so they didn't have to make this long trip. Brianna rode with me, plus we had a big crate with a mixed Beagle mama, plus her two puppies that didn't look anything like her or eachother! Beagle rescue is taking all three of them somewhere up north. The Beagles have ringworm, so they had to be kept separate from the others, but they are being treated, thank goodness.

The other driver, Karen, took Brianna's 8 mth old son, who is very timid, but as sweet as they come. He is Golden "something" too, not purebred, but very handsome. Our other passengers were two black lab puppies that you just wanted to cuddle. They were probably (and I'm really guessing here), 8 weeks old. Sweet, sweet sweet.........

The Charlotte "leg" is being skipped and one lady and her two daughters were taking all 7 straight to Lexington, NC in a really big van. They will be met there, and taken to Greensboro, NC to spend the night. Tomorrow is when Missy, one of our Golden Retriever friends, and Quanzhan will be involved. I think they are picking up an 8th Golden puppy somewhere along that route, a little girl. Hope they will update us as well.

Since I don't have a digital camera, I don't have pictures to share right away, but as soon as I have my film developed, I will definitely share them all with you.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive of our trip, and saying lots of prayers for us. I smell like a "dog" right now, but I don't care. It was a very worthwhile trip, and Karin thought so too. She said she is game for the next one. I was glad she was there with me, and that we had the foresight to bring a couple of leashes. None of these dogs had collars, but one of the Atlanta drivers had brought one collar, and contributed it so that we could keep Brianna on a real leash. Honey just gave up her 6 ft leather leash for Brianna, but we were glad to do it. They will just have to maneuver with the few slip leashes they have for the rest of the trip, I guess, unless someone else throws one in.

They were all darling......Honey and Lilly have sniffed every inch of me now and are very curious!! It was nice to come home and be able to love up on them a little.

Logan

tatsxxx11
02-02-2002, 04:05 PM
Welcome Back!! Wow!! Now that's what I call a furmobile! What a great job you all did!! I was very sad to hear about Max and Red. I hope that Red recovers quickly. Maybe someone at the shelter will be able to give Max some basic obedience, and some hope for a forever home.:( Lilly and Honey must have gone batty smelling all that "doggie!":)

Pam
02-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Logan I'm glad you are home safely. I was thinking of you today. It sounds like you had fun. I am sure Honey and Lily are wondering where you have been and why they weren't invited along since you have interesting doggie smells all over you! :D

Sudilar
02-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Welcome back!! Sorry to hear about Red and Max. I will continue to pray for them. You are such an angel to do transport. Just think of all the lives you've saved!!! :D

Logan
02-02-2002, 06:35 PM
My good friend, Betty, says that Quanzhan and I are now full fledged "all breed" rescuers. I am so proud to wear that title!!!! :D

Red is not good, folks.......pray, pray, pray

Dixieland Dancer
02-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Logan,
Thanks for the update. You are Best in Show in my books! I know it must break your heart each time you transport these furkids when you have to leave them but yet you still do! You are a true heroine!

Logan
02-04-2002, 03:31 PM
If this works, this is a picture of the "mama Golden", Briana, and her son. Quanzhan is on the right.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/pe7c7e535d0af79a5d1babc584d0908f5/fdf44501.jpg

Yippee!!! It worked! The entire album can be seen at

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292064555&code=2482834&mode=invite

I haven't joined there, but perhaps it is one more place we can consider storing our photographs. I'll be adding my rescue pictures there, as soon as I have them back.

Logan :)

Sudilar
02-04-2002, 07:56 PM
What a fantastic picture!!!!!!!!!!

Dixieland Dancer
02-05-2002, 07:43 AM
What beautiful Goldens! How could anyone not want them? I am sure they will find forever homes with no problem!!!!!

Logan
02-05-2002, 11:33 AM
I posted a message this morning about Parvo in some of these dogs, and then later got a message that was conflicting in information. I deleted that earlier post, for those of you who might have seen it.

Here is the most recent info I received.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to clear up a couple of things...

1) Red, from Gainsville - does NOT have Carona or Parvo, he did have kennel
cough and perhaps the worst bladder infection the hospital has seen. He's
being neutered today and is doing much better.

2) the 8 month old - we're calling him Walter, the vet hospital was calling him Shy Joe, is symptomatic of parvo, but the tests have not come back to confirm this.

3) Walter and the beagle pups did indeed come from the same shelter and were kept at the same hospital - but on different floors. Red is from a different shelter.

All the dogs were vaccinated more than a week prior to transport however their fecal test will be positive for parvo for a while due to the vaccine.

Also, please know that Parvo is AIRBORNE....meaning, you don't have to be in direct contact with the dog to be exposed to it. It can also live outside of the host for up to 2 years.

Sharon was right on when she said precautions should always be taken for every transport - change of clothing, cleaning of crates, etc.

It's important that if either Walter or the beagle pup comes up positive for you to make the extra effort to clean everything with a 10% bleach solution. Also, if your own dogs are very young, older, sick or close to their due date, that you get another booster for them. You should check with your vet about this - as this is only what our vet recommends.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Logan
02-06-2002, 01:41 PM
I don't have a clue if anyone is even reading this stuff, but the saga continues.

Red and "Walter" are in the clear for Parvo and Corona viruses. Yippee!!!!

I still haven't had any word on the little beagle puppy, but hope to have an update on her soon. I still believe that what we did was worthwhile. At least they all have a fighting chance now. :)

Dixieland Dancer
02-06-2002, 02:50 PM
YES I AM FOLLOWING THE SAGA! Keep us informed!

TheAntiPam
02-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Yup, we're listening - and glad to hear every step of the adventure. Thanks for the update!:)

jennifert
02-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Logan, i just had an opportunity to catch up with everything! I knew you were leaving to make the trip but I didn't get back to read until just now!! What an adventure! I'm so proud to say that I "know" you, that you're a fellow pet talker and are actually doing something to help these dogs and all dogs!!! I looked at the album! Stunning! Brianna has the most beautiful sweet girlie face and she's seems so happy, like she knows she is finally going with the right people to the right forever home! And her son is absolutely darling!! I'm happy to hear about Red also. Where is he now? He looks so sad peeking out of that cage....:(

Goldens are very popular dogs here in the northeast. We have a golden retreiver rescue although I can't remember the name of it...The woman who is "in charge" of it came into the restaurant where I work the other day and I wanted to go up and ask her a million questions but she was deep in conversation...

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing the stories with us!! Keep it coming!!

AmberLee
02-06-2002, 08:10 PM
What good news for Red and Walter! Thanks for keeping us updated and many, many thanks for all your efforts in the 'great canine transport'.

Xena
02-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Logan that is so fantastic! I have never heard of the animal transport before. What a good idea to get them to places they will be cared for and found homes for. You have made a huge difference in many of thier lives. God Bless you for your heart of gold and love for animals.
Xena :)

Albea
02-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Yes Logan, I've been reading your "all breed rescue" adventures every day, althought sometimes I don't have time to post responses.
It's great news about Red and Walter. I hope the news on the other pups are equally good.

tatsxxx11
02-10-2002, 10:02 AM
Logan, I had been checking in daily for updates on the transported pupsters from the library! I am thrilled to hear that Red and Walter are in the clear. But still, VERY worried about the Beagle baby boy :( Hope you can get some info. on his status soon. What you did was ***EXCEPTIONAL*** in every way. You deserve all of our heartfelt thanks for your stellar efforts and your deep caring and compassion. Thanks to you all, and your efforts, these precious ones DO indeed have a fighting chance. And again, the pics. are both precious and heartbreaking and life-affiriming, all at the same time!! Can't wait to hear from you!! Love ya, Sand.

quanzhan
02-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Logan, I am so glad you posted those here. I enjoyed this transport so much.. and we were so worried about Red.. first we worried his life and now his health.. poor little guy. I hope he is doing much better now.
Logan, when I hold golden Mom's leash that day, I was thinking a lot about you, lily, honey and hellen..
And for those friends, who asked about Zack, He is doing just great.. even though he still scares me all the time (the lastest one was he had a reaction to the vaccines.. his face was so big the very next morning, I guess he just wants to see those people at the vet office time to time). Our vet is lauching a website, they will put his story and picture on the site.. but he is the joy of our life.. but he still has his skin problem, but is much better.. I will post some of his pix later
LOVE

Logan
02-14-2002, 12:22 PM
Quanzhan, you'll have to be sure to give us the links to your vet's website when it is up and running. We wouldn't want to miss seeing Zack!! :)

And you made me think of Red. I don't think I told you all that he is "home" with the lady who sprung him, Donna. She says he is getting better every day, and is taking lots of medication to be sure he is all cleared up. When I asked Donna if she just planned to foster him or keep him, she said "he's home with me", for good!!! Yeah!!!

Logan

quanzhan
02-14-2002, 12:39 PM
thanks Logan, for Red's update.
I am so happy for the little guy. I just sent something to him - not much - I wish could be more. But he does have a big pawprint in my heart (just Zack in yours).
I will sure update you with the link once their website up running, you know i would not miss any chances of showing him off. LOL
Love

Dixieland Dancer
02-15-2002, 09:06 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!! Thanks for the update Logan!