PDA

View Full Version : HELP-How to Help with getting hair off cat - less hairballs - brushing?

cruisetime
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
The only thing that seems to work at all is wet hands being petted over the cat to take off the excess hair. My Max is coughing up hairballs every few days now.. Starting to worry. The brush doesnt' seem to get any off. What do you guys use??? Thanks a bunch - worried meowmie.. Debbie

furrykidsmother
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
We use a regular human comb. They get combed 2 or 3 times a week and it always seem to get a lot of the fur off.

Craftlady
05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I use a brush, it works for my gang of 3 :)

catcrazylady
05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Isn't it awful this time of year? I too brush and brush but it seems to never end. I don't know if there is a better method of removing loose hair but maybe someone here will have a good idea. Just keep lots of paper towels handy!;) :D

catnapper
05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I actually mix the Nutro Max Hairball control with the Nutro Natural Weight Management food... and thats been working GREAT. Soooo many fewer hariballs than I had before the switch. Its easy to mix too... one bag of each and pour them both into a plastic bucket. A little shake and its mixed, ready to dish out every morning.

I brush Pouncer occasionally and Allen more often. I never brush Abby because she NEVER gets anything off while being brushed. I wonder if she ever sheds! :D (of course she does, but not while I brush her) Mostly, I get the fur off by brushing them with my hand. They love that best, just firm quick strokes and the hair comes off in my hands.

RedHedd
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm no help .... I just brush every day with a wire brush. Mitzi is the worst as her fur is so long and thick and dense with a wooly undercoat that mats something fierce. Occasionally I will use the shedding blade and for really bad mats I use the mat-breaker blade - which both cats hate with a passion.

sirrahbed
05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I was also going to suggest a shedding blade. Those things can remove a whole extra cat's worth of hair. They are great.

catmandu
05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
THE SHEEDING BLADE WORKS,FOR ME,AS ALL THE HAIR,NEVER COMES,OFF,EVEN WHEN YOU PUT THEM,IN THE WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!

cruisetime
05-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not familar with the "shedding blade". What is it?? Thanks I'm glad it is not only mine - I thought they were suppose to be through shedding in April????? Is it all the time with a longer haired cat? I will try the human comb tonight. They are on the Nutro Weight Management formula now - what Max can keep in his stomach that it. He is eating too much too fast and throwing up again... I think Meka terrorises him and he is scared. I also started putting Meka's bowl on the counter so he can't eat it. BUT now Meka will eat out of his instead of hers on the counter. SOOOOOO.. Am I ever going to get these cats to be good kitties??? Debbie

kimlovescats
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I pet and pet and pet and chase floating furballs!:rolleyes: ;)
Then I force hairball remedy on anyone who starts coughing them up. Funny, but my Grace (short-haired) sheds the very worst and has hairballs continuously!:eek: ;)

NoahsMommy
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I brush them with my own brush...its the only one they'll tolerate. ;)

Also, they make alot of really great foods for hairballs. They also sell laxatone...that's a paste that helps get them out.

Good luck! :)

RedHedd
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Shedding blade:
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/4/4258312508B.jpg
Available as most pet supply stores. I bought mine at Petco.

RICHARD
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
use a rubber dish washing glove to stroke you cat!

Uabassoon
05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I also suggest a shedding blade, they work great.

Shady
05-24-2005, 10:54 PM
I have four Persians, and two full size vacuums and a handheld one. Vacuuming happens once sometimes twice a day. If the majority of them didnt freak out at the mere appearance never mind the sound of the vacuum maybe I'd vacuum them. lol

I use a comb on them, a pet brush does nothing, nothing really gets it all, except persistence, by doing it every day sometimes twice in shed (which for some reason seemed much longer than usual) We have no hairballs, whatever hair they ingest seems to be taken care of by the hairball formula food.

Other maintenance done while grooming (at the same time) eye washing, ear cleaning, nail clipping, and for one them tooth check, cleaning and chin check for acne.

:D

**edit** combs are all different and it can be difficult to find the right comb for the coat type. I bought three before I got the right one.