PDA

View Full Version : I would like some words of wisdom, please.

zippy-kat
01-31-2002, 11:35 PM
As some of you know, I am graduating NMSU this May with a BA in English (minors in Rhetoric & Professional Communication and Creative Writing). I would love to just be able to sit down and write but that won't cover all the bills! I don't feel I have the knack to teach English Literature and/or Grammar. I've always been best at expressing myself in the written form (yes, contrary to what you might think, I REALLY AM shy! lol), therefore I went the more technical route. On the other hand, tech. writing will pay the bills but it can't be *that* rewarding can it?

Tonight, I have found something I would absolutely LOVE to do. The St. Andrews College of Laurinburg, NC has a 4 yr degree in Therapeutic Riding. (Always wanted to get into the therapeutic riding but have never had an oppurtunity.) I believe this would be VERY rewarding work! (Not sure what it'd pay though...)

I checked out the admissions site. If I apply now, (assuming I'll be accepted) I would start next Fall. Though the program states it is 4 yrs--I think I would be able to finish it in 2--*IF* I were able to go full time. (I imagine it would take longer if I were not able to go full-time & that would depend on finances.)

Any advice? Any do-its or don't do its? Any suggestions? Any prayers?! lol

EEK! Help! lol

Gio
02-01-2002, 04:05 AM
Good question! I cannot offer any advice really but I can send some prayers your way! :)

I believe it's a toss between doing something that could really reward you, that you like, but that doesn't pay a lot or do something you like much less to be able to afford to do what you like to do. That's the story of my life... unfortunately I had to chose the second option, there is no way I would work in my field if I could chose.

Good luck, I really hope that you will be able to chose what you really like and sorry if I could not be more helpful

Karen
02-01-2002, 04:46 AM
I really think that if that is what you want to do, do it! Things like bills will always be present, no matter what you decide to do, but you can't find happiness everywhere nearly as readily.

Follow your heart - if you don't, you may always regret a missed opportunity. I'd apply, and see what happens from there - I bet with one degree under your belt, you'd be able to finish that one early!

Logan
02-01-2002, 07:28 AM
I always advise young, single people to follow their dreams early. Once you start a family and take on big financial obligations like house payments, children, etc, you aren't able to be as free (not that I'm complaining.....I love my life). But, Tonya, you should look into it.

My only word of warning is that Laurinburg, NC is pretty desolate...I interviewed for a job there once and have been through there many times. Might not matter though, if your goal is to get that degree and move on.

I say check it out!! :)

Logan

jackiesdaisy1935
02-01-2002, 09:49 AM
I completely agree with Logan, many opportunities are missed by taking the safe path, you are young and can handle the load now, later it will be a lot more difficult if you get into a relationship you will think differently. Right now you are free as a bird and can pursue your dream, go for it.
Jackie

Albea
02-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Tonya:
I'm with Logan, and it was also the advice my father gave me many years ago: "Do what you want to do while you're young enough to do it." I followed those words of wisdom and I'm happy I did. There's nothing more rewarding than to work in a field you love.
It's not only that later on you start to acquire responsibilities but also, sometimes, your energy level will not be as high as it is right now.
Follow your dream and be happy :D
Good luck!

gini
02-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Tonya, I will echo all that has been said so far.

Regardless of our beliefs, what we know for SURE is that we only go down this path ONCE. There is a wonderful book called "Women Who Run With the Wolves." It is all about following your strong intuition and listening to your heart.

Regardless of what you decide, you have many many friends here who will support you and pray for you and wish you the very best in whatever you decide to do.

Where ever you go, you'd better be sure to take a computer so we can follow your successes!

zippy-kat
02-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Thank you gals for your timely response! I can always count on this board for support!

Gio~ "Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful?" My friend, prayers are very helpful and I THANK YOU for sending some my wayl!! I really appreciate it!!!!!

Karen~ "...bills will always be present..." Ain't that the truth?! lol I have requested info from the college in NC, I'm hoping that out-of-state tuition isn't sky-high. I already have bookoodles in student loans to pay off--not sure how much more I want to add to that!

Logan~ (if you know) could you tell me how far some of the larger cities are from Laurinburg? I don't trust Yahoo!'s driving directions anymore...(Live & learn lol) I did find a free-lance writing job on the outskirts of Raleigh. My luck, that's probably at the opposite end of the state. :rolleyes: lol

Jackie~ Thank you for the words of encouragement!

Albea~ (regarding your advice to 'be happy') I'm wondering if it's coincidence that I saved this quote:

Life naturally evolves in the direction of happiness. We must constantly ask ourselves if what we are doing is going to make us, and those around us, happy. Because happiness is the ultimate goal. It is the goal of all other goals.
Deepak Chopra

(I get a daily inspirational quote in my email...saved this one from a few weeks ago.)

Gini~ I thank you for your words of support. And sorry guys, can't get away from me that easy...afterall, I'm a member of the PetTalk Chatterbox Club and FAA (Fur Addicts Anonymous)!;)

Logan
02-01-2002, 12:16 PM
As I said, Laurinburg is really desolate...I looked at the map to refresh my memory. You have Rockingham (big NASCAR racing town) closeby. You are also close to the SC border, but a very isolated part of the state. The nearest "big" city is Fayetteville, NC where there are two military bases, but a very nice, revitalized downtown. Charlotte is probably a couple hours away from there, and then we're only 90 miles from Charlotte!!! Do I see road trips?? Plus, you wouldn't be too terribly far from the coast either....one of my favorite places.

Raleigh is north of Laurinburg. A great city, much to do, but I would imagine it is probably a minimum of two hours away or more. NC is a huge state, but a good one. So even if you decide on the position in Raleigh, I think you would love it.

I've given you a bit to chew on here, haven't I? Good luck!! :D

jennifert
02-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Go Go Go !!!!!!!! Just Do it!! Don't stop now because it's too hard to get moving again!! I've been there, done that! And I will regret it forever!! If you get bored in Laurinburg, I'll gladly come visit!!!

AmberLee
02-01-2002, 01:06 PM
I agree, you next move should be to apply. Will be holding you in our thoughts and prayers.

{{{Tonya/Zippy-kat}}}

Edwina's Secretary
02-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Zippy cat- Although so many have said it, I'll chime in too. My parents paid for my college education on the condition of a "declared major" from the get-go. I declared a major, finished my degree in three years and have worked in the field I studied ever since. I have done well but I can not say I am fulfilled by what I do every day. Truthfully, I am bored. I fantasize about doing something that would satisfy my soul but am hooked on the lifestyle I have now. In fact I accepted my current equity position with the hope of a big strike so I can pursue something else.

(My I sound depressing, don't I? ) Really though, my only regret in life is that I was in such a hurry! If I had it to do over again I would have taken more time to explore the possibilities and I would have taken more risks -- left the umbrella and raincoat at home so to speak!

On a practical note...technical writers who can translate technology into user friendly, plain, grammatical English are in demand -- fulltime, parttime, and contract (or freelance.) Of course there are other types of freelance work but this does pay well and I can give you some info on going rates if you like.

Go for it!

Cynthia
02-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Just chiming in with my 2 cents worth. As a liberal arts graduate, I feel strongly about the value of a broad education such as you are completing right now (it will ALWAYS serve you). I now work at my alma mater, and students often ask me if I'm using my major. I always tell them that in my current position, I'm not specifically using my major (ok, it was French) but I use my education every day.

If you haven't already, you might want to research the job market for therapeutic riding. If that research is encouraging, then you know you can count on the skills you have to help make a living while you pursue this additional degree.

Best of luck, and please keep us all posted!!!

tatsxxx11
02-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Speaking as someone who has ventured into now, oh, 3 professions, I say GO FOR IT!! Don't let anything stop you if your heart tells you yes and you have the financial means of doing so! I just started my training in AAT (Animal Assisted Therapy) with the Delta Soc. a few weeks ago, combining my love for nursing AND animals!! I can't imagine a more rewarding job for me than helping others to heal physically and emotionally through the incredible healing power of animals! So Tonya, your choice is very near and dear to me!! In fact, there is a certified Therapeutic Riding Center not 10 minutes from me, and having observed them at work, I must say how impressed I was with the amazing strides they make with their clients!! These were people, clients and instructors, whose spritis were soaring!! Follow your heart, and your dreams!!!

zippy-kat
02-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
On a practical note...technical writers who can translate technology into user friendly, plain, grammatical English are in demand -- fulltime, parttime, and contract (or freelance.) Of course there are other types of freelance work but this does pay well and I can give you some info on going rates if you like.

I would like that very much! IBM is coming to campus recruiting tech writers....I'm thinking of interviewing...

Chuck--glorious = Shakespeare? LOL
talking to the wrong person here...I don't like his works! lol

On a serious note, I appreciate your comments and advice. Whatever happens will not be based on a spur of the moment decision.

thelmalu99
02-02-2002, 03:20 PM
WOW, therapeutic riding? Zippy, that sounds wonderful!

You know, you have something very important on your side--youth. This has already been said, but I have to repeat it-you're free as a bird right now. You can do whatever you want, and you should take advantage of that. Believe me, the older you get, the harder it becomes. I'm single and still fairly young, but I am in my thirties, and have been considering moving out of NY for some time. It may seem funny that at 31 I am more reluctant to make a move than when I was 22, but it's true.

I say definitely do it! Now is the time!

PS-I have friends in Shalotte, NC, so when I'm in the neighborhood, I'll give ya a buzz. :)

RachelJ
02-02-2002, 09:16 PM
As one who has enjoyed the writings of Miss Sophie Buns I want to put my vote in for putting her to work authoring a few great works of literature. You will then be free to pursue other interests.

aly
02-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Tonya - Follow your heart. It can't go wrong :)

lizbud
02-04-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi Zippy-cat,

Just wanted to say, I believe you will make
the right choices for yourself when the time
comes.. My daughter was in a similar situation
after college graduation. She still was not quite
sure which direction to start out in.She went
first into Technical Writing for an engineering
firm did well, made friends(and good money), and
later went to work as a Paralegal(also pays well).
Not till several years after college did she settle on Law & although the work is demanding,
she clearly loves it. Point of my rambling on is;
don't be hesitant to try a field for awhile and
then move on to something else later if you
want. You clearly have a writing talent & that
is an asset in any field. Good Luck... Liz.

purrley
02-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Follow that Dream Zippy - do it, do it, do it, - Don't let time pass you by without doing what you've always wanted - time passes so very fast - believe me I know:( and ya can't go back as we all know!!!

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 01:31 PM
I keep reading this post over and over and re-reading some of the emails sent to me... I'm so stressed, I'm in tears! lol

IBM is interviewing for Tech. writers this Thursday...I'm suppose to go to an info session on Wed.--if the recruiters 'like' me there, they'll sign me up to interview. Pro: Might get my foot in the door. Con:The position is in San Jose, CA. Was really wanting to go east--not west. Don't know if there are other positions (in other states) open...never hurts to ask though.

I guess if this doesn't work out, I'll interview with some communications/advertising companies--it's not really what I wanted to start out in but...? (However, I once wrote a 5 page paper centered around the 'oscar meyer baloney song'--lol--that got some great *LaUgHs* (and an A) from the prof! lol And I once wrote a science paper on cooties...:rolleyes: Hey, the prof asked for a paper on childhood diseases...I gave him one...he gave me extra credit and a 'do-it-again' lol)

Man it's *ruff* when your heart screams one thing and your pocket book another...lol

(I know, I know...welcome to the *REAL* world...lol)

Edwina's Secretary
02-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Never turn down an interview. You can always say "no" if offered the job. Interviews are great practice in "selling yourself." Let me know if you would like any tips.

NoahsMommy
02-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Tonya!

Do it!! (both) Go to your interview and check it out. Going to school at night, working full time and being married, is wonderful, BUT is so, so tiring! I would have loved to gone to full-time and really focused on school, but, that's life. :) My hubby is really supportive and is willing to move to Berkeley so that I can go to school where I want, I am lucky/blessed for that...

Do what you feel is right, you want to use your time as wisely as possible. I think that is a really cool major/career. I have a lot of interest in that field too, it resquires a lot of psych classes (totally my thing). You should look at your transcript to see if any of your classes will transfer, I bet they will, then it can take you a shorter amount of time.

Re: money, are there any scholarship or grants you can apply for?

This is so cool! I'm going to go home and email you some more!! :)

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
You should look at your transcript to see if any of your classes will transfer, I bet they will, then it can take you a shorter amount of time.

I have lots of pysch. classes as it was my major before english. But I always thought that once you finished one bach. degree, you were startin' from scratch if you started another :confused: Dunno...

michelene
02-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Do you know, or can you find someone who actually does therapeutic riding for a living? Can you go and shadow them, and then interview them for information about what a typical day is like, how long it takes to get established, how they got there (education and experience), and what recommendations they would have? Can you work as an assistant while you study? Where are the jobs located? You said you think you would really love doing it, but it would be a good idea to talk to a current practitioner and see if you could shadow, intern, assist, before you had to commit to moving and coming up with tuition.

You may find out that you really don't need a four-year university degree in the subject area to start doing what you want to do. You may (or may not) learn that the specialized degree gets the holder more career mobility and quicker advancement. The point is, you will get the story from someone who is there doing it, and not just a college counselor or catalog. Information interviewing will save you much time, money, speculation, and, I hope, disappointment.

It sure would have saved me lots of what-ifs and pushed me to work harder in my profession.

By all means attend the information session about IBM. The job for which they are hiring may be in San Jose, but they are a multi-national (Fortune 500) corporation. Even if technical writing is not your dream, you can learn something about the company, and you can get some interviewing experience.

I hope something turns up for you that challenges your best talents, builds the skills your want, and rewards you beyond your dreams.