PDA

View Full Version : need emergency help with a kitten

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Fox, my stray, brought me a baby kitten today.

I'm pretty sure it is not "his". Seeing how this whole time I thought Fox was / is a boy..... and I don't see that he has "nursing boobs".

I have had this little baby in the bathroom since three this afternoon. I left him with some kibble and water while I went to class. He didn't touch any of it. So I went to the store and got him some canned food and he is sniffing it but isn't eating.

I also got a dropper and tried to give him some milk... but he makes the cutest little ugly faces... and won't drink it.

I am a little worried about him. What should i give him to eat.. I am not sure how old he is.

Give me one minute though and I will post some pictures...

catnapper
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Regular milk is not good for little kittens. Do you have a pet store nearby? KMR (kitten replacement milk) is available there and you can feed him that. Warm it up a little as you would a human baby.

If he's older, you could try a little baby food (nothing with onions since they are poisonous to cats) and warm that up for him.

Do you have a dropper? Try sucking the stuff up into a dropper and squirting it into his mouth. Sometimes they don't want something until they realize it tastes yummy. Of course, being late at night makes it oh so easy to get all this stuff!

rosethecopycat
05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
What he eats depends on his age.

Are his eyes open? Then he's over 2 weeks old.

Are his ears still 'flattened'? Then more like 3-4 weeks.

He should weigh a 1 lb at 4 weeks old and 2lbs at 8 weeks old, and gain .25 lbs per week inbetween.

I only know that KMR mixed with Hill's A/D is good for kittens over 6 weeks, and by 8 weeks old, why can eat regular soft kitten food (I mix water with it) unless they are sick. Don't let a kitten go over 12 hours without eating. They get hypoglycimic very quickly. Use a 1cc or 3 cc syringe (without the needle) to force feed, into the SIDE of the mouth, not the front.

For newborns and 2.4 week olds, I'm not sure what they get. Maybe someone with some bottle kittens on here can help you.

Can he see a vet?

Thanks for helping the little guy.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Well i can't get my camera to connect to the computer.... so maybe tomorrow.

The only store open close by was target ... and they had NO variety. I bought him some canned 9 lives.

I put some on his foot and he ate it... and i really hand fed him. So i feel better now.

Tomorrow I will go by Pet Smart and get him some kitten formula. Hopefully he will drink some water!!!

THe poor little baby is meowing in the bathroom. I wish I had a friend he could keep company with.... :(

Cinder & Smoke
05-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Little One NEEDS some FLUIDS to keep from becoming Dehydrated.

Since you don't have the KMR yet, plain ole Water is better than no fluids.

Use a dropper, a syringe, or in a real pinch - a drinking straw to
get
the fluid into his mouth.

Straw method -
Put water in a glass;
Put Straw into glass;
SEAL the top of the straw with a finger;
Pull out straw (KEEPING finger on the end);
and "insert" straw into the side (cheek area) of his mouth;
Release the seal made by your finger...
the inch or two of water trapped in the straw will run into his mouth.

Close his mouth and rub his throat ... he'll swallow.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-24-2005, 05:31 AM
I'M SO PROUD.!!!!!!!! :D

I can't tell you how happy I am. I got up this morning. (late :eek: so I called into work) which i guess worked out o.k. , because i thought I might have to take the baby to the doctor.

BUT HE ATE AND DRANK!!

I put some more food on his foot. After he licked it off.. he ate from the plate. Then he drank some water.

And it was so cute too. He doesn't have good balance so he keeps dipping his nose in the water.

I can tell a HUGE difference in him since he has ate. He is playing with EVERYTHING!!

I just love this little baby.

I am going to try and get my camery connected to the computer to post some pictures.

You guys are gonna loooooove him!!!:D

sirrahbed
05-24-2005, 06:21 AM
YAY! A scooterbug at Sara's house!!:D I will be excited to see pictures and am so glad the little tyke ate and drank for you.

Funny that your stray brought him - a male stray - is this odd you guys??

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Funny that your stray brought him - a male stray - is this odd you guys??

That is what I wonder?

Fox is the friendliest (not to people however) kitty ever. If Tinky or Jupiter are at the door... he rolls all over the ground and rubs allllll over the door. He loooooves other cats.

I HAVE PICTURES NOW... IM GONNA POST THEM IN ANOTHER THREAD.

trinity
05-24-2005, 09:35 AM
It isn't all that unusual from my point of view. Our last addition, Scooter, before we brought him in seemed to be the caretaker for the little strays in the neighborhood. We had brough Hunter in after seeing him outside with Scooter. One day Hunter escaped, Scooter brough him back for dinner on our front porch. I snagged Hunter and took him inside and Scooter sat on the porch and CRIED! I spent the next hour sitting on the porch explaining things to Scooter...then a few months later he completely understood when he got to move inside. So as I said, not that unusual.

catmandu
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
SARA,I WOULD RUN OUT,AND GET,THE ROYAL CANIN ITTY BITTY KITTEN FOOS,AS THE ANIMAL WELFARE,WHO HAVE RESCUED MANY TINY BABIES,SWEAR BY IT,FOR THE EEENSY TEENSY LITTLE ONES.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1165.jpg

rosethecopycat
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Do yourself and Tinky & Jupiter a favor and go and get the little guy combo tested for FeLV/FIV if he's not been tested yet. Even if he's isolated in your house.

You wouldn't want to risk infecting you cats with these two deadlies.

I'm happy he ate. he should go on the KMR (mix it with canned food and water), for nutrition sake, even though he's eating other things.

NoahsMommy
05-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Yay!! I found the baby's story....awww.....so glad he's eating now.

So cute!!!