PDA

View Full Version : Big spider...ick!!!

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
The other day as I getting into the shower and look what I found....a spider!!!!!! A big one!!! Since I live in FL these are not uncommon to be inside lurking around. Needless to say he didn't make it...I killed him. Sorry for all you spider lovers out there but if one crosses my path he becomes a dead one. I could see this guy without my glasses on....ick!!!! I headed for the kitchen to retrieve my trusty spider killing apparatus (a flyswatter, lol) and climbed on the toilet since he was in the top corner of the shower and with one whack killed him in the spot. He fell to the tub where I promptly scooped him up with the flyswatter and flushed him down the toilet. A dead spider is the best kind of spider!!!! Here he is....before I whacked him.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/pe0ce474ccd7714464d35169458410af3/f400fcb0.jpg
And here he is....after I whacked him.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p4b93f78f4acf4bcbe07dc914572b9c54/f400fcbf.jpg
I had to take pics to show my fiance since he hates them worse than me. Sorry to scare everyone....

CagneyDog
05-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Yuck :p

I don't like spiders to much, but I probably wouldn't of killed it!!!

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by CagneyDog
Yuck :p

I don't like spiders to much, but I probably wouldn't of killed it!!!

You wouldn't have killed it....why not???? It was in my shower!!!!

chocolatepuppy
05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
If that spider, that BIG, was in my house, I would move out! :eek:

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by chocolatepuppy
If that spider, that BIG, was in my house, I would move out! :eek:

LOL!!! I live in Florida remember.......we have lots of creepy crawlies.....this is the 2nd one this big I have killed in my bathroom.

chocolatepuppy
05-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I lived in Florida for awhile and I remember spiders like that but thank goodness I never found one that big in my house! :D

Christiansmommy
05-23-2005, 09:15 PM
GROSS!!! I would have freaked out first and then probably waited for hubby to get home to "take care of it", lol, and i would have stayed dirty and not showered!! lol!! :) Not a fan of the spider.

We had a TON of ear wigs at our old house, and then we got it treated and they never came back...but those things freak me out BIG TIME...i can not stand EAR WIGS!!!

Robyn

christa
05-23-2005, 09:45 PM
WOW! You saw that thing and you thought to get the camera? I'd be screaming my head off! I don't mind killing spiders . . . small spiders . . . :eek:

LMM
05-23-2005, 09:45 PM
That was a cool looking spider. Don't forget, spiders eat things like mosquitoes and flies that bite and carry diseases. I would have scooped him/her up and deposited him/her outside.

Bigyummydog
05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
OOOO, you're a viscious lil thing aren't you? kevin hates them as well, i'm the official spider getter....i don't always kill them, only if i know they are posionous. i used to keep a few in certian spots in the house just to keep all the other creepy crawlers in line. i would just suck up the leftovers with the vacuume. I'll have to show your pics to kevin. I'm sorry, but, sometimes i just can't resist....:D

ya, that was a cool looking spider.....:)

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by christa
WOW! You saw that thing and you thought to get the camera? I'd be screaming my head off! I don't mind killing spiders . . . small spiders . . . :eek:

I didn't scream because he didn't run......I had to prove to the fiance that the spider was that big...I have gotten pretty good at killing them, sad as it sounds :) I would die if one crawled over me in bed so I kill them as I see them.

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LMM
That was a cool looking spider. Don't forget, spiders eat things like mosquitoes and flies that bite and carry diseases. I would have scooped him/her up and deposited him/her outside.

Ok next time I will call you up when I see another one and you can come scoop it up :) Bring a bucket to scoop it into as the legs are quite long and a regular cup...he might not fit into. As for the mosquitoes....I don't think this one spider will help that issue. We have more than our fair share of mosquitoes in FL.

gemini9961
05-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
OOOO, you're a viscious lil thing aren't you? kevin hates them as well, i'm the official spider getter....i don't always kill them, only if i know they are posionous. i used to keep a few in certian spots in the house just to keep all the other creepy crawlers in line. i would just suck up the leftovers with the vacuume. I'll have to show your pics to kevin. I'm sorry, but, sometimes i just can't resist....:D

ya, that was a cool looking spider.....:)

Little ones don't bother me....I'll let them live. Now ones like this that are as big as my hand...sorry but they gots to go. Poisonous or not..I don't care. There was NO way I was gonna take a shower with HIM in there with ME. Nope not in a million years. :eek:

slleipnir
05-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww w!!!

I'm SO glad we don't have big spiders here....but even the ones we do have gross me out

finn's mom
05-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Spiders are cool as heck to look at as long as they're not free roaming anywhere near me. :) I especially freak out when they drop down on their web from a ceiling fan or something and are hanging there in mid-air. Oh, man, I will do just about anything to smoosh them if they're in my house. I hate that I kill them, but, I can't handle them at all. Eek.

caseysmom
05-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I am just too scared of them crawling on me at night too...they gotta go I would show no mercy.

Vette
05-24-2005, 03:25 AM
I like spiders.. but not in the house.. the main reason being is they make dust webs everywhere.

LuckiLab03
05-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Ewww.. I hate spiders too. I find them in my shower too and I get very paranoid about it. Once in a while I get the bugs running across my carpet and I go nuts. I get a few spiders and then some millipedes or whatever they are.. its hard to catch those suckers. One time I got one of those huge grassfly things in my room.. they look like huuuuuuuuge mosquitos. I hate those right after spiders. I called in my dad to get it and he couldn't see if even though he was 1 foot away from it because he didn't have his glasses on. I was shining the flashlight on it too! I was so paranoid about that, I didn't want to move and go get my dad because if I left he might move and I wouldn't know where he went, in which case I wouldn't have slept that night.. but I DID go get my dad. I would've have killed that spider in your shower too, insects in the yard are ok, insects in the house are NOT.

chocolatepuppy
05-24-2005, 04:49 AM
I didn't want to move and go get my dad because if I left he might move and I wouldn't know where he went, in which case I wouldn't have slept that night..

That's where cats come in...no insect can hide from them, my cats let me know where they are! :D

joycenalex
05-24-2005, 05:52 AM
spiders in the house dies, spiders in the outside of the house lives, it's that simple for me. YUCK!!!!

christa
05-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by LMM

You're CRAZY! You should remember that some of us don't like spiders . . . are completely scared to death of them! :eek:

Suki Wingy
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM
poor spider:mad: it never did anything, just being a spider, and it is not gross, in is a good example of advanced evolution.
edit: I forgot, we have a lot of spiders in our shower, just shoo them out and it is ok.

Kfamr
05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't HATE spiders but I don't like them in MY home. I'd rather look at them in pictures or from behind a container of some sort.

Originally posted by gemini9961
I don't think this one spider will help that issue. We have more than our fair share of mosquitoes in FL.

Definetly not. Spiders have no chance among the other millions of bugs we have in FL.

gemini9961
05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
poor spider:mad: it never did anything, just being a spider, and it is not gross, in is a good example of advanced evolution.
edit: I forgot, we have a lot of spiders in our shower, just shoo them out and it is ok.

It did something...it was in my house!! :( I will not shoo out the spider...it is too big to shoo out. I DO NOT like spiders and sorry to say but I'm not going to spare it's life, we have more than enough spiders in FL that this one is not going to hurt the spider population. Sorry spider lovers...but I can't deal with them in my house.

Suki Wingy
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
you killed it just because it was in your house? I am not a spider lover, but I have great respect for all things.

LuckiLab03
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
you killed it just because it was in your house? I am not a spider lover, but I have great respect for all things.

um, ok.

gemini9961
05-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Yep killed it just because it was in my house. I respect them..OUTSIDE in their ENVIRONMENT, not in my house.

Suki Wingy
05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
I was saying I have too much respect for living things to just go and smash its life.

Kfamr
05-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh gosh. :rolleyes:

Just because she killed a spider doesn't mean she doesn't have respect for living things. Eesh. Give it up already.

gemini9961
05-24-2005, 04:22 PM
I was saying I have too much respect for living things to just go and smash its life.

That's fine. It's great that you do, really it is. I, on the other hand felt the need to get rid of it. Period.

popcornbird
05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww!

LOL! So are we going to start a new Spider rights organization or something? :p I would never kill a spider or any insect outside...they're free to 'enjoy' their natural habitat, BUT...when they enter my house, they're dead. Its not easy to take them outside when you're so afraid of them (the door is usually far away)...AND...sometimes, I find spiders in my room in the middle of the night. There's no way I would ever 'carry' a spider and take it outside in the night when I'm half asleep. I can't sleep with a spider in my room, so.....it has to die.

The majority of the world hates spiders, and almost everyone kills them in some way. Its no big deal, and nothing to argue with a person about. :eek:

caseysmom
05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
If I see a snail squirming to sure death across the sidewalk I throw it back into the bushes, when I see a worm I do the same thing, but spiders....ick...sorry but they scare me too much.

K9soul
05-24-2005, 05:09 PM
While I would not condemn or judge someone for killing a spider in their home (as others have said, it is the most common reaction), I still wish a picture of the dead spider had not been included. I am extremely sensitive to this kind of thing. I find myself unable to kill much of anything besides mosquitos and ticks, and even then I get no enjoyment from it. I think I understand a bit why Suki Wingy is particularly upset. My first reaction to the first picture was "Wow! Amazing spider!" and then the second picture of it smashed is very sad (to me.) Showing a before and after picture makes it more emotionally charged for those sensitive to this type of thing.

Suki Wingy, you are not alone in being saddened by the death of even a simple spider, but you also won't get people to understand or share your feelings by getting angry or accusatory. It's best in these types of situations to simply live by example. I.e., if you find a neat spider, take a picture of it and show it being released outside. :) Of course it won't sway a lot of people, but just maybe someone out there will think about it and decide to take that course of action despite their fears :). Most hatred is born of fear, some people just fear them too much to do anything other than eliminate it.

IRescue452
05-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Looks like what I had in my room. I don't mind them when they stay in the basement, but when this big one came into my room it wasn't gonna live long. It must've come up on my shoe or something because they never come out of the basement on their own. Now they are all dead, yea exterminator. I'd have run out of the bathroom naked.

AlleyCat
05-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Well, I wasn't able to see the pix of the dead spider (not sure I would have wanted to anyway) but I totally agree with Gemini - I am terrified of spiders, large or small, and any of those in my house are gone, gone gone. If I don't have the nerve to kill it I make my hubby do it. I will say that if I'm near a window or door I try to get it on a piece of paper (alive) and shoo it outside, but something that big in the shower is going to be GONE. I would rather get stung by a bee then have a spider run up my arm.

slleipnir
05-24-2005, 10:57 PM
That reminds me of a story this guy told me at work.

This girl he knows found a worm of some sort inside I guess..so she look it to release it back outside where it can be FREE and live on!!!

What happens moments later? A bird swoops by and eats it...:rolleyes: :eek:

K9soul
05-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
That reminds me of a story this guy told me at work.

This girl he knows found a worm of some sort inside I guess..so she look it to release it back outside where it can be FREE and live on!!!

What happens moments later? A bird swoops by and eats it...:rolleyes: :eek:

But see, that wouldn't upset me like me killing it would have. At least it's death wasn't senseless, it went on to feed a bird and possibly its young :).

I know many people feel that my feelings, and Suki's, are silly on this type of thing. I grew up studying animals of all kinds, including spiders, and I don't have much fear of them, so to me they are not a threat. I understand that to others who fear them, they are a threat and I don't judge or condemn them for feeling that way or for doing what they feel is best. However, in my eyes, there is no reason for me to kill one if I come across one. I generally just leave them alone. Coming across venomous spiders in MN is rare. They were much more common where I grew up (esp brown recluse), and I was a bit more jumpy about them though still didn't really kill them. I captured them in a jar to get a closer look at them and usually went ahead and moved them outdoors. I really only recall coming across a recluse once and it wasn't even at home.

I understand fearing something so much, and feeling that it is a threat to you so much, that you want it dead. I was trapped on a moving bus once with an angry yellowjacket (one thing I do fear, as I have been stung and am allergic), and a guy was trying to kill it, and I truly at that point wanted him to succeed.

I used to be really embarrassed to admit my soft spot for all creatures, but now I am more open and comfortable about it since I've grown out of being afraid of being mocked about it :p. I used to save drowning bumblebees out of the city swimming pool, toss a drying earthworm back into the earth off the sidewalk, and so on. I know things live and die every day and it's a part of life and nature. I just feel for myself personally, I'd rather be a creature's second chance than their end if possible. :)

Suki Wingy
05-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Thank you K9Soul, yes, I agree, feer stems hatrid. I guess you can go on then, next time I won't post.