PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried???? (this may be long)

moosmom
05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
As you guys know, I've been working at the funeral home for 6 months now, with the understanding that once the offices upstairs are done, I'll be going full-time. Well, the time is getting close.

I talked with Renee last week. She's the woman whose place I'll be taking (she'll become my supervisor). I asked her if I should be worried about my job. She said no. Everyone has weak points and strong points. She's been interviewing people to take my part-time status once I go full time. She said that my strong points are the computer. We have a program where we create collages and DVD's of the deceased. Only she and I are the ones that know how to do it.

She then told me that she interviewed this woman who has experience on the front desk of a funeral home, and knows about Death Certificates, burial permits, etc. I've been doing that for six months and feel I'm good at it. She said that this new program (DVD, etc.) is a full-time job, and that having the same person do both would cause a distraction (she said that she's noticed mistakes on the paperwork because of the "Life's Legacy's Program). I told her that I don't claim to be perfect, and EVERYONE makes mistakes. She agreed with me. She wanted to know if I would be willing to work at the technical portion of the job, i.e., doing collages, DVD's, print out prayer cards, etc. I told her as long as I am given full-time status, with benefits and vacation, I don't have a problem with it. She said the only drawback is convincing Dan, the owner of the funeral home, that the positions involved should BOTH be full-time.

Well, I talked to the General Manager tonight about it, telling him that I really liked working at the front desk and think I'd rather stay there. I know the job well. His response has me VERY worried.

He said that they never promised me full-time (I recall them asking me at one point if I wanted to go full-time sooner than expected) and that he THINKS between working my "on-call" hours during the week, as well as working my usual Sunday (I'd really like to just work Monday through Friday), and coming in doing the DVD's, collages and printing, that it will PROBABLY give me enough hours to be full-time. An alarm went off and I left tonight with enough doubt to make anyone feel as rotten as I do right now. He said that we need to convince Dan that the two positions need to be full-time, and that everytime he wants to hire someone new, Dan freaks.

So what do you guys think? Should I be worried??? I told him that I've been with the funeral home for six months now and I needed to know what the bottom line is so I can either plan on working there full-time, or start looking for a full-time job elsewhere.

I have a BAD feeling about this. I can't go on much longer working part-time. I'm failing financially. Should I just take a "wait and see" attitude?? Or start calling Labor Lawyers in the phone book???

My gut instincts have never let me down.

dukedogsmom
05-23-2005, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't waste all my time worrying but I would be looking for other prospects. Since you are worried, you don't want to be in a jam if it doesn't work out. That response sounds shady. Could you get another part time job?

LKPike
05-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd say start looking for a new part-time job with the possibility of moving to full-time if your fired or decide to quit at the current job :)

Karen
05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
If Renee will be your supervisor, I would ask her what she thinks. If Dan freaks out at hiring time on a regular basis, she's probably got more of a feel for what actually has happened each time. Speaking to her about your concens should give you a clearer picture of what to do and what to expect.

moosmom
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
The thing that I don't understand is I'm already trained. Why would they want to hire and train someone else when they've got me??

Renee always told me that Dan is the one who has the final say in anything and everything. Maybe I should just wait and see. I'm just worried that I'm gonna get screwed out of a job that I was VERBALLY promised.

ramanth
05-24-2005, 07:56 AM
*HUGS* I concur with everyone else. Start casually looking around for another part time or full time job. If the funeral home works out you can just turn down any interviews or jobs that have come up. If the funeral home does not work out, then you have a Plan B all lined up. :)

moosmom
05-24-2005, 08:04 AM
I have been looking, just to see what is out there. NOTHING! Plus the kids will be getting out of school soon which means the part-time jobs won't be that fruitful either.

*sigh* :(

catnapper
05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm no lawyer, but a verbal promise is a contract nonetheless. He promised you fulltime, and is now trying to act like that never happened... that would have me concerned too.

I know what you mean by there not being anything out there. Is the same here too. I keep hearing how the economy is picking up and jobs are opening up. WHERE? I'd like to know where and what jobs, because none are available around here and the money from an improved economy sure isn't making its way to this area.

I would talk to Renee again and see what input she might have. He just might be the typical guy who doesn't want to spend money. I worked for a guy like that. I was making $11 an hour and wanted a raise. I was working 6 days a week and the store was bustling because of ME. He LAUGHED at me when I asked for $1 raise. So I told him to start looking for someone new because I was looking for something else myself. When I found a new job (one that paid considerably better) he was FLOORED because he never expected me to leave. Here we are 5 or 6 years later... the store has hardly any buiness because the grump he hired scares all the customers away. This grump is also slow as can be and takes all day to do a project that took me an hour or two. This grump makes $18 and hour. He made his choice and lost the best employee he ever had because he was too penny pinching to give his best asset what she deserved. Now he's paying ten times over for me and his business might go bankrupt soon because he doesn't have the good coverage I gave.

Sometimes small business owners will balk at hiring new people fulltime because then they'd have to pay insurance and all those other benefits he's not paying now -- thats a huge taking from HIS pockets every month. But thats utterly stupid - they'll spend a dollar to train and teach someone else all to save a dime. Then that new person will get fed up and leave, and he'll start all over again. Which seems to be the way its working here.

NoahsMommy
05-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Donna,

I wouldn't ignore your gut feeling. They DID tell you your position would be full-time...why is he changing on this?

You need to do whats best for you, financially and emotionally.

I'd keep my eyes open for something else...you need and deserve security.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

smokey the elder
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
This doesn't pass the smell test. I would be looking to bail out.

caseysmom
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I have two neighbors, husband and wife who both work at funeral homes. They seem to do very well. It is a business with a steady client base;)

I think most funeral homes are doing pretty well...after burying both my parents I get that impression, I would tell Renee that you need to know for sure within a week or you will be forced to find full time employement.

moosmom
05-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I spoke with Renee today before she left. I told her the conversation I had with the General Manager. She said that things change SO fast around this place, that anything is possible. She said she didn't think it was fair of them to promise me full-time and then change their minds. Dan, the owner, is a very moody person, just from what I've seen since I started here. He's very intimidating too. Renee said that one day things will be fine, the next day Dan will come into work in a nasty mood, and tell you you're fired.

Bottom line is, she told me to keep my options open. I won't quit from here. God KNOWS I need the money. But I will do what I've been doing all along, looking for work AND letting Kelly Services know that I need full-time work.

So, that's the scoop. If it turns out that I'm getting the shaft, the first thing I'm going to do is consult a lawyer. Then I'm going to think about going back to CT.

Smokey the Elder,

You're right, it DOESN'T pass the smell test with me either!! I've always listened to my gut instincts and have never been wrong. I have my doubts, but will wait it out.

moosmom
05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I got a call from the apartment complex I applied to. It seems that vacancies are coming up soon and they need to pinpoint when I will be going full-time.

Avery told me that Chris, the office manager of the funeral home, told her that my hours will not increase right now. She said that taken into account, I'd be $3,900 below the low end of the rent scale and wouldn't qualify cuz I don't make enough money.

I called Chris and she said, "I'm confused, what is it that you want me to tell these people??" I didn't know what to tell her. The move upstairs is going fast and hopefully they'll be in the new offices next week. BUT...I still don't know IF I'll be hired full-time, or what the status is. No one is telling me ANYTHING and it's starting to REALLY piss me off. I feel like my whole financial future is in limbo. It's just not fair!!

I HATE this uncertainty. Avery said she's surprized I'm able to make my current rent. So am I!

I don't want to miss this opportunity to move close to work and out of this neighborhood. But until I know what is going to happen, I have to stay put.

*sigh* I am SO bummed right now!! :(:(

ramanth
05-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Donna, that's just not fair. :( *hugs*

moosmom
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, it's official. I am NOT being given full-time status! :(:( I went in to pick my paycheck up and work from 5-9. There was a new girl, Tina, at the front desk. She got the job they promised me for 6 months! :mad:

I am hurt, angry, frustrated that they LIED and blew smoke up my ass for 6 months, going as far as to ask me to start full time early. The General Manager DENIED offering me full-time. This is what they came up with. 25 hours one week, 30 hours the next. Total of $550.00 before taxes every 2 weeks. No benefits, no vacation. :(:( I'll be responsible for the DVD and collage program as well as printing the memorial cards for the funeral home. That and my usual "on-call" hours and regular Sunday, 11-5.

Renee apologized and said she knows how I feel. How the hell could she possibly know? She's got 40 hours a week with benefits and vacation and knows where her next meal is coming from.

She told me to think about it and not to cut my nose off to spite my face. In the meantime I've gotta be nice to this girl who got MY job!!! :mad: :mad: It's not fair and there should be laws to protect things like this from happening.

What I WANT to do is pack up my cats and drive to CT.

So, I've been shafted yet once again!! My self-esteem is under my right shoe right now. I'm heading to the bar. :(:(