PDA

View Full Version : Speaking to Boy Scouts about pets

Pit Chick
05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
My group has been asked to come speak to a Boy Scout group and bring a dog. I found some stuff for kid/dog safety, but that's about it. I was hoping to get stuff about spaying/neutering, responsible ownership, etc. that will interest a group of 10 year old boys. Help. Those of you with kids, your insite is greatly needed, but anyone with websites or ideas, feel free to share.....pleeeeeezze.

Dixieland Dancer
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure what your group is... training, rescue, etc but I can offer some help in this area since I've done it too. I have been involved with the Boy Scouts for 9 years now since my son was in first grade. If the boys you are going to visit are only 10 years old, then they are still Cub Scouts and probably in 5th grade getting ready to cross over into Boy Scouts within the next year. They are easier to entertain than the older boys. :)

I organized a dog demonstration for the boys at a pack meeting (grades 1 - 5). First realize that you only need to prepare about 20 to 30 minutes max. For the first 10 or 15 minutes I did an obedience demonstration. I explained why it is important to train your dog. I also threw in a couple side tricks like shaking paw and sitting pretty (the boys loved this). After I showed them how to do some obedience commands, I asked for volunteers to try and work with the dogs. The boys had a ball "teaching" the dogs. Most of them were just happy getting the dogs to speak or shake paws!

Then I had a friend who does search and rescue explain what to do if you get lost. Then they hid a kid and the dogs had to track them to find them. It was a small track but the kids were amazed.

Our local humane shelter had coloring books on approching dogs and taking care of them. We got enough for each boy to get one and passed them out before we ended our demonstration. It is important to let the kids talk about their pets if they have them and to handle the dogs you bring on site.

You can also ask the Scout leader if they are working on any particular achievements at the present time on pets and if they are ask what and see if you can help fullfil some of the requirements during your demonstration.

Most of all realize the boys just want to have fun so make it up beat and not boring! You will have a great time too! :D

ParNone
05-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Pit Chick!

Sounds like fun! I know with my 8 year old and 6 year old nephews, they seem to be fascinated with how I can "talk" to Oz or Murph or Gull. Mystifies them, since they don't actually speak (Although with Gull, I'll ask him a question, then give a hand signal to bark, then tell them what he said. Man, are they impressed with that ;)).

They seemed very interested when I explained the different meanings of body language. Course it demystified what they viewed as my jedi-like powers ;), but I think they really liked that they now have some insight into how dogs communicate.

Par...