PDA

View Full Version : more protein???

lute
05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
i bought Gracie a 44 lb bag of dog food the other day and my siberian husky breeder friend told me that the kind i bought didn't have nearly enough protein for Gracie.

here's the problem. i spent most of my extra money on the food and can't afford to buy another bag of the right kind of food atleast for a few days. is there a way i can add more protein to Gracie's food/diet until the bag of food is gone or i can buy the right kind?

lute
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
bump:(

does anyone have any idea how t put more protien in her diet?

beeniesmom
05-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi,
You could buy some ground beef and/or ground chicken and make a stew (just add water and carrots) and give your dog some every other day mixed in with the dry stuff.
Another good way to provide protein is a fried egg once ir twice a week. Eggs are cheap and very good for their coat too!

LKPike
05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
Hi,
You could buy some ground beef and/or ground chicken and make a stew (just add water and carrots) and give your dog some every other day mixed in with the dry stuff.
Another good way to provide protein is a fried egg once ir twice a week. Eggs are cheap and very good for their coat too!

you beat me to it :p thats almost like the Raw diet - Frankie cant be on it because its too high in protein. Eggs a good way :)

I know the feeling of buying a huge bag of dog food and getting home and finding its not the right kind or something. I hate that! :o

beeniesmom
05-23-2005, 10:11 AM
The stew should be cooked. I cook it for about 20 minutes or until the pink is gone and the carrots are soft.

lute
05-23-2005, 10:38 AM
thanks! i guess i'll be cookin for Gracie for a while.

cyber-sibes
05-23-2005, 12:06 PM
You may want to PM Glacier - I think she feeds raw meat to her dogs, and she knows alot about their food needs-

Glacier
05-23-2005, 02:39 PM
What's the protein level in the kibble?

When my dogs eat kibble it's a working dog forumla, 31% protein 22% fat. This is the kibble I feed: http://www.championpetfoods.com/dog_acana_deluxe.html

For most dogs that's way too rich and would quickly lead to an overweight dog. During the winter they get raw meat three or four times a week instead of kibble. Some of them get fat added to their food as well (pork fat usually). Some get less food than others--Raven gets fat on 2 cups of kibble a day. Mac needs at least 3 cups just to maintain his weight. There's a huge range in what the dogs need.

Gracie's growing in a hurry so she needs a good diet, but seriously, any good brand of kibble will meet her needs. You can add meat to her diet, but be careful that you don't create a little monster. She may refuse to eat plain kibble if you fancy it up too much!

If you want to feed what her breeder suggested, just buy a bag when you can and mix it with what she's on now.

IRescue452
05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I think she will be fine eating that food until the bag is gone. As long as she's a healthy dog it won't do any harm to let her finish this bag first.