PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs. DSL

NoahsMommy
05-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I just got a cable line for my internet access, as well as my TV channels. I'm used to DSL from the old place and have to say, I'm very impressed with cable!

Does anyone have cable too? Are there any things I should be aware of?

Its so much faster! yay!! :)

Freckles
05-22-2005, 03:59 PM
High Speed Comcast for me on a brand new PC! (well, it's really my 6th PC - got my first one in 1983.) At first they had some problems getting a decent signal, but they ran a temporary line from a nearby junction which solved the problem. They will make it permanent in the next couple of weeks by digging a trench in the street.

Goes with my wide screen hi def TV purchased in January.:)

Karen
05-22-2005, 04:15 PM
We've had cable access for a long time - one of the advantages of living in a major East Coast metropolitan area. Just keep your virus protection up to date, and enjoy! (I'm on a Mac, so 99.9% of viruses cannot affect me.)

slleipnir
05-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I've used Cable at my moms, and I have DSL here. I know cable is a lot faster if a lot of people in your area don't have it...if they do, then your connection slows down. DSL however, it doesn't matter..it's the same no matter who is on.

binka_nugget
05-22-2005, 04:18 PM
A lot of people have cable here. It's really slow. I've been very happy with my ADSL.

catnapper
05-22-2005, 04:18 PM
I have DSL, my business partner has Comcast Cable. So far, when I surf on her or my computer, it seems the same speed... the only problem we are aware of is Comcast keeps "upgrading their system" which a lot of times for some reason I never get her emails or others from Comcast. She also notices it slows down considerably during the times they are upgrading, but she loves the cable connection otherwise.

cali
05-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I have friends with DSL and I have cable, DSL is painfully slow compared to cabe, we keep getting calls trying to convert us, but my brother and I both say "no way" so my mom always tells them she believes her kids and we will be staying with Cable lol

Randi
05-22-2005, 04:31 PM
I have ADSL 2560/256, but I'm going to downgrade a bit, as I'm not sending/recieving very heavy files - like John did (maps).

I suppose having a Mac with OSX helps too. :)

The building I live in has now cable installed, but we didn't join because it's a 2 megabit connection TO SHARE!! John called them to ask whether they were joking!

christa
05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
We went from cable internet to DSL because it was a lot cheaper and I really don't see any difference. Either one is great! ;)

sammy101
05-22-2005, 05:53 PM
cable is great!I love it!!But ours has been going offline alot lately:confused:

Vette
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
ID love to be able to get Cable here. but we live out on the boonies and very lucky to get DSL.

and what Karen said.. be sure to keep your virus scanner up to date. also be sure to go the Windows Update page and check for critcal updates,, and do so often. everyone should do that reguardless of what kind of internet connection or what kind of computer you have. (as long as its a Windows PC) ;) even if you have Norton Anti Virus scanner you should still install any critcal updates there are.

i was amazed at how many criticall updates my freinds PC didnt have. no wonder she was having major issues with her PC.

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

and heres a random tip.
Defrag your computer once every other month or so. it keeps things orginaized and helps your PC run a little better.

its under Accessories and then System Tools - look for Disk Defragmentor. also run the Disk Clean up thingy often too. sometimes it finds things you dont and remove the stuff you find. sometimes you have to run it more then once to clean it all up.

shais_mom
05-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by christa
We went from cable internet to DSL because it was a lot cheaper and I really don't see any difference. Either one is great! ;)
ditto except for me my DSL is a lot faster. very weird everyone else around here that had the cable connection had no complaints other then the price but mine was sooooo slow. I did all sorts of tests and had people look at it but it stunk!
I got yahoo dsl and love it and will never go back.

caseysmom
05-22-2005, 11:53 PM
We just got a new computer and cable and I am in heaven!

krazyaboutkatz
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I went from dial up to comcast cable and I love it.:) They have been doing a lot of maintenance though so it tends to slow things down a bit but so far I'm happy.:) I didn't try DSL because I've heard of other people having connetion problems.

K9karen
05-23-2005, 12:41 AM
I was a long suffering, stupid dialup person. Even though AOL went to Broadband, I switched to Comcast Cable and couldn't be happier. AOL did everything in their power to get me to stay with them. Cable's more expensive than DSL but most of my friends have cable and I wanted to be with the in crowd! :p

Randi
05-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
... my DSL is a lot faster. Very weird, everyone else around here that had the cable connection, had no complaints, other than the price, but mine was sooooo slow.

It really comes down to the speed of your connection, and how many share it.

The 2 megabit cable connection we got in our building is shared by at least 200 people, so at times it will be slow, and therefore we didn't join. I think I'll stick to my ADSL for now. :D