PDA

View Full Version : Pet allergies

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Do any of you suffer from allergies to your pets?

My daughter and I are both very allergic to our two Guinea Pigs. Our allergies range from not being able to breath, to swollen eye balls and of course the usual runny nose, sore throat, etc. :rolleyes: We can't even be in the same room with them for very long anymore. :(

It's gotten to the point where I'm seriously thinking of rehoming them because we can't touch them anymore. :( I'd hate to do this to Herbert because he's an older pig (5 years old) and this is the only home he's ever known. :(

Is there some way to be able to overcome these problems? Have you been able to deal with your allergies?

luvofallhorses
05-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I have no advice, but my parents always thought I was allergic to cats and I never was when we got Miagi and Tiger he sheds a lot but he doesn't bother me. I hope you can find someone to help you, Dawn. ((((hugs))))

chrissycat21
05-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm allergic to my guinea pig, too. But mostly just when he sheds. Maybe try having some windows open when your in the same room as them. :confused:

My allergies aren't that bad, though. I just sneeze and get watery eyes.

kittycats_delight
05-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I have sever allergies to cat dander. I have to take meds all the time to calm them and I am forever on a nasal spray to help me breathe through my nose due to the allergies but then again I am also allergic to grass, trees, dust, feathers, should I continue? My mother is also very allergic and her solution was accupuncture and it seemed to work for her. But I wasn't to struck on the idea of having little needles stuck in my skin. :eek: I just take my meds and put up with it cause I love my babies and they aren't going nowhere. :D

Glacier
05-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm allergic to all sorts of things including cats and dogs. I take Reactine+Sinus every day. I can sometimes get away without it in the winter, but this time of year, the pollen on top of the critters makes breathing impossible without the meds!

We installed filters throughout the house. They help alot. I also got rid of all the carpet. That made an amazing difference. It's disgusting how much stuff is stuck in carpet even if you vacuum daily!

NoahsMommy
05-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm allergic to cats...and pollen, and dogs, and bunnies, and grass...ha ha.

I take an Alegra when I need it. I've found that works really well.

I also vacume a lot...with a hepa filter.

Karen
05-22-2005, 04:12 PM
When I have pet-sat for my bosses' animals, Willie, the kitty, is always desperate to be petted, and I am horribly allergic to him. What I did one day was pick up a thick paper towel, and petted him with that. We were both happier that way. I still washed my hands immediately after discarding the towel, but I don't get as wheezy/itchy.

I'd clean their cages outside if possible, and always wear gloves - rubber gloves or even gardn gloves - when ceaning their area, or even when petting them. You won;t get to feel their soft fur against your skin, but you won't suffer the aftermath, either.

Do you take any antihistamine regularly?

catnapper
05-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh boy do I! I am allergic to the monsters. Both the cats and Nicki, but I suspect I'm more allergic to dogs than cats, because when I go to my mom's house, I always expect a break from the cat allergies, and walk away feelign just the same from her dog. I never feel worse from spending days with the cats at adoption events -- and there's always about 20 cats to trigger those allergies.

Right now I am a complete mess! Those pollen spores are wreaking havoc on my allergies. I think I just might move to Antartica or something to get away from this nasty stuff.

jazzcat
05-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm allergic to cats - and I have 5 of them :rolleyes:, cig smoke and crab meat. I used to take Zyrtec and then switched to Allerx-D but for the last year I decided to stop taking the meds and I've done well. I only have problems on rainy, humid days (sneezing, running nose and watery eyes. I have no idea what that means.

wolfsoul
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm allergic to dogs, cats, and rabbits. Doesn't stop me. ;) I'm also allergic to dust, kiwis and strawberries (but I eat them anyways lol), and pollen.

Suki Wingy
05-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I found out the devistating news that I am allergic to dogs as well as cats on Friday. I am pretty much ammune to the dogs which means to stay that way I have to be around dogs all the time. Do you have an allergist you go to? Have your doctor refer you to one. I just started taking something, Bromine? I have no clue what it was called, and it helped emmencly the first few hours, but as soon as it started to wear off I am delirious-like and feel as if I might faint, like nothing is real and I'm floating away, so I'll have to stop taking this one, I also use rhinocort (nasal spray) and it helps a lot.

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I've tried taking Claritin, but that doesn't seem to do any good. I guess it's for a different kind of allergy.

Maybe a trip to the doctor is in order. :(