PDA

View Full Version : Round Hard Candy Ban? What's Next?

dukedogsmom
05-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Here's something that totally makes me angry!
They'll have to pry my atomic fireballs from my dead hands. This is totally ridiculous.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/44466.htm
POLS PUSH FOR MINT BAN

By LINDSAY POWERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2005 -- Political momentum is building for safer candy.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton told The Post she is raising the issue with the Food and Drug Administration and the Consumer Product Safety Commission early this week.
She called the deaths, just two days apart, of Jocelys Santiago, 5, and Ashley Morrison, 4, "completely preventable." Yeah, it's call responsible parenting
City Councilwoman Christine Quinn, who chairs the Health Committee, is introducing legislation this week to ban large, round candy. She also wants a council hearing on the subject before schools let out for summer.
She said she originally planned to target only the peppermint ball candies. But The Post's findings - that 15 other products on local shelves were deemed by doctors to be deadly choking hazards - convinced her to broaden her approach.
"The results of this survey might require that we introduce additional legislation to address the other hazards that exist on candy-store shelves," Quinn said.
Council Speaker Gifford Miller, a mayoral candidate, told The Post the council would do "everything in our power" to keep deadly candy from children.
"It's a horror any time a child dies but particularly when it's entirely preventable like these cases," Miller said. "I'll be working with my colleagues to make sure that we do everything in our power to prevent this from happening to other children."

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 03:03 PM
You don't give these candies to kids who are too young to eat them. What is so hard about that?

Don't people parent anymore? :mad:

IRescue452
05-22-2005, 03:51 PM
What's next, bread? Many kids die each year when parents give them bread. If they are too small to chew and swallow it it expands in the throat. Soon we won't have any food because its all a choking hazard.

Karen
05-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Why don't they just mandate that every parent either learn the Heimlich maneuver or be banned from buying those candies if they have children under the age of 12 and cannot show proof of Heimlich certification?

catnapper
05-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh no... what about my candy wreaths ;)

What an absolutely idiotic thing to even propose. :rolleyes:

moosmom
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM
What PJ's Mom said!!!

caseysmom
05-22-2005, 11:57 PM
guess they will ban grapes next those are pretty much a choking hazard too...ummm thats why I peeled them and cut them in half when the kids were little...:rolleyes:

jackie
05-23-2005, 06:21 AM
:rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

Sadly, some people don't!! They expect others to do it for them. :(

Maybe they should just ban all candy for kids under the age of 7 or 8. Help their teeth and weight and the choking thing too.

Can't you just see it: going to jail because you gave your kid a candy bar. (they can be choked on too, you know)

Better not give them anything to drink either. Anyone can swallow wrong and choke on any liquid, even water.

lizbud
05-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
You don't give these candies to kids who are too young to eat them. What is so hard about that?

I agree. Next it will be swing sets, bikes, wading pools, etc, etc.

Pit Chick
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Better ban all toys that can fit inside of a 4-5 year old's mouth also. While they're at it, pocket change, rocks, bugs, teeth. :rolleyes:

carole
05-23-2005, 03:49 PM
good grief they legislate against everything these days, how ridiculous, every responsible person has to pay the price for every irresponsible person, so it would seem.

I remember my daughter coming home from our local shop up the road with some sweets, they were made in a foil packet , exactly like pills are, these were eventually banned, I have to say I agreed with that, how could anyone be that stupid to manufacture something like that.