PDA

View Full Version : Is it the little tings....

catnapper
05-22-2005, 01:04 PM
that bother you? I often find myself flaring up at the little things, and being ok when dealing with the big things. For example, say I go to pour milk into my cereal bowl in the morning... and there's only a teaspoon of milk left in the carton. Whoever last had the milk should have either used ALL of the milk or left more than a teaspoon. Or I go to take a shower and nobody told me we had no clean towels. Or perhaps I need an aspirin and the bottle is NOWHERE to be found. I find it a week later under the couch. I get so frustrated at little things like this.

I guess it irks me because its part common courtesy to others in the house, part becuase its like this ALL the time where something is used up, or taken, or misplaced. I'm not talking about 3 year olds or people who come and go throughout the day - but a husband and three teenagers. All know better and all should respect each other.

I know I'm getting to the point of over-reacting when I can't find the scissors, or (this one is my favorite) somebody took the good batteries out of the remote and replaced them with the dead ones from their CD player. You'd think from my reaction that somebody had commited a serious crime.

Am I the only who feels this way? How can I react differently? Its driving me nuts, and I'm sure everyone thinks they are living with a raving lunatic. Wouldn't it be nice to just talk to them and "request" they be more respectful of others in the house? I tried that one and it was met with blank stares and 4 people saying "but I don't do those things you're talking about." In the meantime, I guess it really IS the cats that do all this little stuff that is slowly driving me nuts :rolleyes:

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to take that shower I've been waiting HOURS for (the towels should be dry just about now) and go hunt down my new razors. They should be somewhere around here. :mad:

flamepony12
05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh my gosh, that's funny that you mentioned that milk thing, because my dad just flipped out this morning because there was no milk left for his cereal. :p

MariaM
05-22-2005, 02:00 PM
The thing that bothers me most is noise. I've started wearing ear plugs as much as possible because my family is so loud. It's nice to take Major for walks in the dark when nobody is outside.

As for little things...well I guess they kind of irk me too. If my sister starts singing, it drives me insane. (related to noise I guess). If the tv is up too loud, I get annoyed.

dukedogsmom
05-22-2005, 02:12 PM
How about needing the aspirin and not being able to open it because of the freakin' child proof caps? I had to get another woman at work to open my Tylenol just the other night because of that. There should be an option to buy either. Not everyone has kids and we shouldn't have to live like we did all the time.
I hate the milk topic, too. You go to pour a big glass and get maybe an inch. But what's worse than that is if you don't have any more.

Here's something that totally makes me angry!
They'll have to pry my atomic fireballs from my dead hands. This is totally ridiculous.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/44466.htm
POLS PUSH FOR MINT BAN

By LINDSAY POWERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2005 -- Political momentum is building for safer candy.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton told The Post she is raising the issue with the Food and Drug Administration and the Consumer Product Safety Commission early this week.
She called the deaths, just two days apart, of Jocelys Santiago, 5, and Ashley Morrison, 4, "completely preventable." Yeah, it's call responsible parenting
City Councilwoman Christine Quinn, who chairs the Health Committee, is introducing legislation this week to ban large, round candy. She also wants a council hearing on the subject before schools let out for summer.
She said she originally planned to target only the peppermint ball candies. But The Post's findings - that 15 other products on local shelves were deemed by doctors to be deadly choking hazards - convinced her to broaden her approach.
"The results of this survey might require that we introduce additional legislation to address the other hazards that exist on candy-store shelves," Quinn said.
Council Speaker Gifford Miller, a mayoral candidate, told The Post the council would do "everything in our power" to keep deadly candy from children.
"It's a horror any time a child dies but particularly when it's entirely preventable like these cases," Miller said. "I'll be working with my colleagues to make sure that we do everything in our power to prevent this from happening to other children."

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Living with 4 teenagers and a hubby, I can totally relate to what you're talking about. I get the same blank stares and the "It wasn't me" explanations.

Don't you just want to run away sometimes? :D

Bigyummydog
05-22-2005, 03:25 PM
opening a package of anything, and leaving the trash.....not wiping the top before closing or putting the lid back on (ketchup, etc.)....towels are for drying CLEAN hands.....leaving shoes (i call them boats) any and everywhere, especially where i'm going to walk. i am forever tripping on kevin and pressley's big shoes. i have even tried putting my shoes everywhere, in front of a door, in the middle of the hallway, they don't even see them.....but then, my little size 6 and a halfs, don't compare to their 12's.....and MAXIMUS, toys everywhere....

poor CATNAPPER, a husband plus three:eek: maybe i shouldn't complain, but i understand you completely....:( my deepest sympathys.....barbra

Bigyummydog
05-22-2005, 03:27 PM
OMG! dawn, i didn't realize you said 4......shall i come over and put you out of your misery?

NoahsMommy
05-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Kim,

Yes, it is that kind of stuff that drives me up the wall too...and it stems from lack of common courtesy.

Now that I don't live with my 30-year-old child, I wont have to deal with that anymore! YAY!!!! :D

Hugs,
Kelly

P.S. Hope you at least had a nice shower. ((hugs))

carole
05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Kim if it is of any consolation we have those invisible Gremlins in my house too, nobody ever admits to anything around here, as I am known to say often it must be those damn gremlins again.

I too am just like you, things like that irritate the heck out of me too, I seem to be the only one who is courteous enough to think of others, the empty toilet roll really bothers me, it seems I am the only one who ever refills it.

I think it just is a mother's burden we seem to have to bear, but why I DONOT know, sometimes I feel like being a selfish as everyone else, but it just is impossible for me to do.,drat it all.

Guess we just have to GRIN AND BEAR IT.:(

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
OMG! dawn, i didn't realize you said 4......shall i come over and put you out of your misery?

Would you? :p

catnapper
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Whew... glad it isn't just me. It still doesn't make me feel any better, since I feel like a raving loony :D

Suki Wingy
05-22-2005, 10:10 PM
yes, I am "sensory defensive" Little noises like gum, paper turning, chairs moving can REALLY get to me, to the point I am sceaming in certain moods, sometimes they don't bother me. Also with clothes, the seam goes the wrong way or it hangs wrong, etc. I hate it. I think I will buy ear plugs. I usually have my shuffle in and up so I can't hear anything.:rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
05-22-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm at work right now and would like to add the nails on the keyboard. A woman has very long nails(have no idea how she types) and that clacking sound gets on my last nerve!!!!

Bigyummydog
05-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Whew... glad it isn't just me. It still doesn't make me feel any better, since I feel like a raving loony :D
are you kidding ? that's why everyone is looney :rolleyes:

moosmom
05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Kim,

That's why I'm SO glad I live alone!

My Dad used to get made when the ice cube trays were put back in the freezer empty. I never knew why he got so mad till it was done to me! There's nothing worse than room temperature soda!!

caseysmom
05-23-2005, 02:12 PM
There was a story in one of the papers about a mom who got arrested for a parking ticket and she was all happy because she would get a rest, I think it was in Europe somewhere. I could totally relate:eek:

LKPike
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
When Jillian or Frankie are doing things that really annoy me, I'll usually just hang out in the office or bedroom for 2-3 hours... however long it takes me to miss them :p

Jillian has a REALLY bad habit of taking out every single toy from the toy box as I'm running around the house picking them up so that I can vacuum. if annoying me that way doesnt please her - after i'm done vacuuming the whole house she'll go outside, bring in rocks, branches, or cooking wood and shred them all over the place.

if somehow I manage to not get completely angry at her then... she usually continues by A. finding a towel and ripping it to shreds or B. pees on the floor so that it runs under the fridge or dishwasher..., or C. tears up the trash

:rolleyes: I just cant see how some people think dogs are dogs, when my "dogs" act like 4 yr old terrorists

mina'smomma
05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Kimmy darling forget the shower. Go take a long hot bubble bath and read a good book. It's your turn to be inconsiderate. Anyone says anything just point out how you feel, and until people start being more considerate of you than this is how it is going to be.

(((BIG HUGS))))

cubby31682
05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Lol, you sound just like me. Except I don't have any kids. Things just naturally drive me nuts. The milk thing is a huge thing for me. Not shutting a kitchen cabinet is also another. As well as the toilet seat. The remote thing, I don't know I am hardly ever in control of it. Another thing that will set me off is, I will be loading the dishwasher, hubby walks by and puts his glass in the sink, he can't take the extra half a step to put it in the dishwasher while it's open.

The thing I love most is, when they leave just enough ceral in the box for you to just get a slight taste of it or maybe if your lucky one whole bite. Oh yea that one is almost on the top of my list. Lol.

catnapper
05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
LOL.... I forgot all about the closed door things! Like the basement door so the cats can't get down there. This morning I came downstairs and both the back door to the mudrom was open as well as the front door to the porch was open. :rolleyes: Luckily, the back door from the mudroom was NOT opened, but last summer it "accidentally" was open a few times. Meanwhile, all the cats were running out the door~ :eek: Its not hard to shut a door... at least in my experience.

Also:
~We have a no shoe in the house rule. All shoes must be taken off before they reached carpeted areas. Why then do I always see sneakers on teenaged feet? Then THEY :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at ME when I point out their feet. I didn't make the rule up, their father did!

~ The kids wait til the LAST minute for things. Like Sunday is Tony's prom. He didn't think about a tux until last night -- "Oh dad, when will we get my tux?" Heather has a pool party at school TOMORROW, and decided to wait til last night to tell us her bathgsuit from last year doesn't fit..... so off we went to buy a bikini and rent a tux. NOT my idea of what I wanted to do last night.

~ Asking the same question repeatedly and not getting an answer. Tony's prom is Sunday (I covered that didn't I?) and I have asked him a hundred times what type of flowers does she want. I even asked HER... and they just shrug. But last year when I made the executive decision and went with what I thought would be nice, they complained that nobody else carried a boquet. They all wore corsages. Well? This year I wanted to know WHAT type of corsage.. and they are *thinking* a boquet would be more fun since they are different anyway! :mad: :rolleyes:

Oh Calgon, take me away!