PDA

View Full Version : This is strange...

daisy
01-31-2002, 09:45 AM
...I heard over the radio today that Attorney General John Ashcroft does not want to be around calico cats as he believes they come from the devil! Has anyone else heard of this rumor, and is it true?

Logan
01-31-2002, 10:04 AM
Oh, I find that so hard to believe that a professional person like John Ashcroft would ever say anything like that. :( I hope it is something that has been taken way out of context. Surely it is.

Maresche
01-31-2002, 12:05 PM
Oh, please someone say this isn't true. I really don't want to think that such a superstious has that much power in our country, especially regarding such an old wives tale. You'd think people that well educated would know better.

ramanth
01-31-2002, 03:21 PM
IF he said such a thing.... it wouldn't surprise me. Look at the stuff that spews out of Jerry Falwell's mouth. :rolleyes: :p

Logan
01-31-2002, 04:02 PM
Can't find it anywhere, Chuck. I think there is something weird about this whole thing. Daisy, do you remember what you were listening to???

NoahsMommy
01-31-2002, 05:54 PM
Who knows if it's true or not....some people are just weird like that...

lynnestankard
02-01-2002, 06:35 AM
I found the script at;

www.andrewtobias.com/newcolumns/011120.html

Hope it helps.

Lynne

Pam
02-01-2002, 07:06 AM
As is the case with a lot of articles this is not a direct quote but supposedly comes from "an advance team coming to check out his residence." One has to wonder who this team was and how true the story is. I for one tend not to believe things unless there is a direct quote or an admission from the one being quoted. It sounds to me like a National Enquirer tale. :rolleyes: Hard to believe any intelligent person could believe such a thing.

daisy
02-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Sorry folks for not following up right away...

Logan, I heard the John Ashcroft-calico cat story from deejay "Doc on the Roq" over at KROQ, an alternative music station here in L.A. In retrospect I should have guessed that the story was being delivered tongue-in-cheek style, but at the time Doc's delivery sounded serious enough for me to post a question here :rolleyes:

I believe the rumor originated as an ironic follow-up to Ashcroft's orders to have drapes cover the bare breast of the Lady Justice statue at the Justice Department (now this bit of information is verifiable; see http://drudgereport.com/flash2.htm (http://)). The implication here, I believe, is that Ashcroft is such a fire-and-brimstone prude that he can't stand the sight of a partially nude statue, nor can he be in the company of creatures that are "of the devil".

This is a story blown way out of proportion, and if my post has caused some people on this board to worry unnecessarily, I extend my apologies.

purrley
02-01-2002, 12:15 PM
This sounds like something the National Inquirer or the Star would put out or maybe Jay Leno.