PDA

View Full Version : coat: seasonal changes

wayne0214
01-31-2002, 09:02 AM
One of my furkids, Aby Queen, has undergone a coat color change and she does this every winter. During the warm and hot times of the year her coat color is a light silver-torbie color, but in the colder times of the year, her silver becomes darker, and looks more like a tabby. Of all my furkids, she is the only one who undergoes such a marked change in colors. Does any on Pet Talk also have felines who undergo the same seasonal changes?

.....wayne:)

AmberLee
01-31-2002, 01:55 PM
My silver swirl tabby, Perspicacity Purrsonality "Cassy", also seems to get darker in winter! Bless you for posting, I thought that either I was going nuts or that cats darken with age ... :o ;) :p

thelmalu99
01-31-2002, 02:48 PM
I remember reading something about how Siamese with point-coloring go through these color changes. Apparently, their coloring will be darker or lighter, depending on the seasons or on the climate in which they live. I don't know about other cats, but there definitely is a connection between coat color and climate.

catwoman
01-31-2002, 03:14 PM
Wonder if the reason Siamese have darker paws, tail, and head are that these are "extremities" and don't hold heat as well? :confused:

AmberLee
01-31-2002, 03:24 PM
We're having a rare cold snap here. Frost, snow visible on the hills, we silly Californians are running around in awe (and sweaters and sweats ...). Okay, it's cold (for here). Why is my baby turning dark? Wouldn't lighting the pelt be more logical? (Okay, leaves are down, but they are for big chunks of the year anyway?) :confused:

AmberLee
01-31-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by catwoman
Wonder if the reason Siamese have darker paws, tail, and head are that these are "extremities" and don't hold heat as well?

I've heard this is true (but I'm pretty gullible :o ). Every so often you hear of a reverse Siamese (dark body, light points). What's the story there?

zippy-kat
01-31-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
We're having a rare cold snap here. Frost, snow visible on the hills, we silly Californians are running around in awe (and sweaters and sweats ...). Okay, it's cold (for here). Why is my baby turning dark? Wouldn't lighting the pelt be more logical? (Okay, leaves are down, but they are for big chunks of the year anyway?) :confused:

The only 1/2 believable thing I can come up with is...

Black is the absorbtion of all colors--white the reflection.
It would make sense then that darker objects hold in heat more so than lighter colors...maybe it's to keep them warmer?:confused: (Hey *WAY* cheaper than Bloomingdales!)

Our 'tabeese' (siameese/tabby cross) use to do this as well...but she's stayed 'dark' for quite awhile now!

That's just my theory...please keep in mind I am blonde...lol:D
If you don't like that theory, I can make one up for ya! lol

thelmalu99
02-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Zippy,
You may be blond, but you're right about the black/white thing.

AmberLee,
Dark colors do hold in heat. Lighter colors keep you cooler. That's why people tend to wear light colors in the summertime.

Zippy,
Bloomie's can really hurt your wallet! Watch out, LOL! :D

wayne0214
02-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Remembering when Snow Cat was first born, he was all white. Then, about a week later he began to develop the reddish-brown markings that make him a flame-point Siamese. Now considering temperatures, he was born in mid summer -July 17th to be exact, Summers here can be very hot 100 deg + for days on end, especally during that time of year. The nights might get down to 75 deg. So, apparantly the color-point coloration on Snow Cat is still caused by temperature variables to his natural body heat? :confused:

.............wayne

libracats
02-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi Wayne, I beleive all color point cats are born all white. They develope their points after a few weeks. The chocolate points get quite dark all over(points always darker than the body) when fully matured while the lighter points(like the blue) stay light on the body(the points are lighter as well). I would love to see a piture of you kitties :)

yumyum6970
02-04-2002, 09:18 AM
When we got yum yum at the animal shelter she had just a tad gray points on her, but now that she is 9 months old her color is coming in good. :)

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner