PDA

View Full Version : Oh What A Night? What Am I Going To Do?

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-31-2002, 07:26 AM
In an earlier post, I told you guys about how Drake has made some friends with the dogs across the street. I came from work yesterday and the Chab (chow/lab) was in my yard. I let Drake out to play with his buddy and they got along fine.

It started getting darker and there was no light coming from the house next door. Where was the other dog? I took a flash light and went over to see if my neighbor was OK. There was no one there! I peaked into the window, and the place was empty! All the boxes were gone but the rooms were totally empty. What has happened here?! I am freaked out!

Drake wanted to play longer than the Chab and was getting angry with his buddy for wanting to rest. Drake was barking at him and fighting with him. The Chab looked so broken hearted. He looked sad. I went outside to pet them both and give them some food and water since Drake didn't want to come inside. Remeber, Drake has shared with this dog before. Last night, Drake was a pig! He wouldn't share and if the other dog came near the food, Drake would get mean. While Drake ate like he had never seen food before, I would try and pet the other dog and Drake didn't like that either. Guess he was OK with playing with him, but not letting him spend the night. Drake didn't come inside to sleep. I was woken up by several dog fights and loud barking. When I got up, I saw that the Chab had spent the night on the sidewalk. Drake can't get to him coz of electric fence.
Drake came inside, and as I was leaving to come to work, I put a bowl of water and food for the other dog and set up a runner in my yard so he wouldn't run away. I do not want him to get run over. I also drug out Drake's old dog house, washed it out, put some old blankets in it, and set it by the runner so that he can get in it.

I don't know what to do! Where did his owner go? Why did she leave him and take the other one? Chab is so nice. He minds well and is so friendly. Unlike the beast that I have! I swear, he did a 180 on me! He was being so good and then, he unleashed the meanie in him.

I want to do what is right for this dog. I know that by feeding him, giving him water, shelter, and playing with him, he is going to want to stay. I do not want him to leave. It would break my heart to think of him as a stray. If she doesn't come back in a few days, then I will have to take him to the shelter. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. But I can not keep him.

Help!

ellensy
01-31-2002, 08:58 AM
Gee, that's so sad :( ...how could somebody do that???:mad: Poor Chab... :( :( :( and oh maybe Drake is just angry with your human neighbor for leaving his buddy behind. How's Chab doing?

Sudilar
01-31-2002, 09:27 AM
Maybe she left him because she knew you would take care of him. She knew that you could not let him starve. :( This is just horrible! How could anyone do such a thing????

slleipnir
01-31-2002, 09:54 AM
Maybe they moved, and the dog jumped out some how and ran back to him home. Maybe it would be best for you (if you can) take care of him for a while and see if the owner comes looking for him (u live right next door right???) and if they don't maybe keep him or give him to someone...I dont think it would be fair to just leave him, I've seen a few times where people just don't want their dogs so they leave them to die..it's so sad :[ I hope everything works out good for you can chab

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-31-2002, 10:06 AM
Oh, I do not plan on leaving him! That's why I put him on a runner at home and have been taking care of him. I am still hoping that my neighbor didn't just leave him. Maybe she had to leave all of a sudden and didn't have time to let me know she wanted me to take care of the pup. Drake dosn't like the fact that he has to share with Chab. He is OK with playing. I do not want Draker to hurt him. I want to play with Chab more and show him that he is loved, but Drake gets so mad if I even come near him now. He didn't at first. I think Drake senses the change in the situation. It's like Drake is saying: He can come over and play, but he can't sleep here and eat my food.

ellensy
01-31-2002, 10:16 AM
Chab is sure lucky to have u as a neighbor. Just hope that owner comes back and that Drake will slowly accept Chab. Please hug Chab for me, that is if Drake doesn't see you doing that. Good luck!

jennifert
01-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Oh no. What a predicament! I hope the owner returns to get her dog...Do you know here well? Does she seem like the "type" or person to do something like that? Were they planning on moving? (Like house up for sale?) Or do they rent and had to be out by the end of the month? Maybe she moved to a place where she couldn't have 2 dogs? Not that that is an excuse!:mad: Perhaps you can find out more tonight from another neighbor or the landlord/real estate agt about where she has gone. It can't be legal to just abandon a dog! :mad: Did you leave a note or anything in case she comes home today and sees the dog tied up at your house. She may see him there and think you want to keep him...?
Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe she had to leave w/o him and is worried sick!

slleipnir
01-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Drake might be jealous cause he's not use to you paying attention to an other dog..I know my dog gets jeolous someitmes when I pat the other and play with him and such and she's grown up with him

aly
01-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Is there a no-kill shelter you could take him to? Or a rescue group with room? I would hate for him to be put down :(

Good luck, Souraya. You're doing the right thing.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-31-2002, 12:35 PM
I went home for lunch and let the dogs out to play. It was OK as long as I didn't touch Chab. I called my brother and asked him if he was OK taking care of another dog this weekend and explained the situation. He said he didn't mind.

Cindy, Chab's owner had moved into the house only a few weeks ago. I do not know if she was renting or what the deal was. I noticed yesterday that CHab wasn't wearing his collar. I had to use one of Drake's old ones and put a new hole in it.

I left a note taped to her front door. I hope she comes back for him. If she's not back in a week, I am going to try and find him a new home. Wish me luck!

ramanth
01-31-2002, 12:53 PM
That is so horrible!

Was the woman on her own? I wonder if she was in a bad relationship where she feels she has to run. Could that explain the suddenly empty house that she just moved into!?

Poor Chab. I'm glad he has you to look after him for the time being. I can't imagine how someone could do that. :( :(

AmberLee
01-31-2002, 02:10 PM
My mind is swirling -- I don't know what to say except to bless you for being Chab's guardian angel. At first I thought like Sleipnir that he got lost in the move and returned to his old home ... but it seems less likely with the short amount of time he's been there and no collar.

Poor confused Chab! Poor encroached upon Drake. Poor overwhelmed Souraya ... Do keep us updated. {{{thoughts and prayers at ya!}}}

Logan
01-31-2002, 02:47 PM
I am not pleased with your neighbor, Souraya, but I am pleased with you!!! What a huge heart you have. Thank you for everything that you are doing. Search out "no kill" shelters as was suggested. He sounds like a lovely fellow. As you might have read, I'm working with 7-8 Golden Retriever rescues from your area on Saturday, two of which had to be sprung from kill shelters in Gainesville and Griffen today to avoid being killed. Too many dogs, not enough loving owners. I know I am preaching to the choir here.....so I'll get off my soapbox. Just wish there were more people like you.

Logan

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-31-2002, 03:12 PM
Logan, you are going to be in Gainesville, GA this weekend?

The shelter here is a kill shelter. Sadly. But they only euthanize if they do not have room for the pups. I volunteer there all the time.

I will try and find Chab a home on my own. I am sure I can find someone. A shelter is my last resort.

Dixieland Dancer
01-31-2002, 03:30 PM
Souraya,
You are in our prayers that Chab finds a good loving home. From the sound of it that means a new owner. Our prayer is that someone will want this pup and fast.

Maybe we can even say a prayer that Draker will ease up on his possessiveness of mommy and let her take care of Chab. He would have a built in playmate!

Our best to you!
Love,
Candy, Dixie, and Dusty

Logan
01-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Souraya, I was almost there today to spring this dog, Red, whose time was up today, but someone closer jumped in last night and went to get him this morning. I don't know what I was going to tell my boss, but I was convinced that there was no way this dog should lose his life when in one day he would be headed to a rescue group.

I may yell for you eventually if you're available to help out...even if it means just getting there to pick one up until I can get there and get them.

Logan

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-31-2002, 04:05 PM
Logan, you can call me for help anytime. If it is in the Gainesville or Atlanta area, I will be more than willing to help! I will e-mail you my contact information tomorrow.

sabies
01-31-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks Souraya for taking care of that dog, I hope you can find a home for him. Do you know who owns your neighbors house? Maybe you can find a way to contact the previous owner thru the landlord or realtor. How awful for the poor dog to be abandoned. Best of luck to you!!!!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-01-2002, 05:54 AM
It rained last night and I brought Chab in, bathed him, made a nice and cozy bed for him on the floor in the guest room. Drake wouldn't let Chabby eat out of his bowl or come into my room (that's where Drake sleeps). Thank God there was no fighting last night. Drake was fine as long as Chab didn't come near his stuff or his mommy. My brother and Chab cuddled on the couch and watched TV and Draker and I hung out in my room. My brother is taking them both to the park today to play. So, all in all, Drake, Chab, and I are doing fine.

I tried to find out what had happened, but it was in vain. I couldn't find out a thing! I am going to call in a favor today to see who owns that house and go from there. I am afraid I won't be able to do much this weekend since I leave today at noon to go to Alabama. But I can make some phone calls and get some answers. I guess I want to find out what happened to satisfy my curiosity. I don't know if I want Cindy to come back and claim Chab. No matter what the circumstances, she should have atleast called to check up on him if she was in trouble and had to leave. She abandoned him. It makes my blood boil. I am planning on contacting a few friends today to see if anyone wants this boy. I think I have made a decision.

I am going to make an appointment for Monday to take him to the vet. Chab isn't neutered and that makes me mad. I will schedule an appoinment to get him neutered, chipped, and a general health exam.

That's all for now.

Logan
02-01-2002, 07:15 AM
Souraya, you are a good woman! I hope you have a wonderful trip to see Andrew this weekend, and that Drake and Chab do fine while you are away. I assume your brother will be keeping them for you. Drive safely.

Logan :)

jennifert
02-01-2002, 07:54 AM
Souraya, you are such a sweetheart!! I hope everything works out! I know how difficult it can be with two dogs, especially when one is possessive of his mom! Bless your heart for taking care of Chab!! Have a great weekend and be safe!!

purrley
02-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Sounds like this Cindy had your number Souraya and knew that you'd take care of this pup if she abandoned him. This makes me furious that people would not only abandon an animal, but to put such a burden on others. You're so good to take care of sweet Chabby until a suitable owner takes over. Good luck with this endeavor and God Bless!!!

ramanth
02-01-2002, 08:32 AM
Have a safe trip Souraya! Bless you for taking care of Chab. I hope you can find him a nice home.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Souraya, it just proves that everybody on this board truly loves animals, when a dog is in danger people stand up and do the right thing. I am so proud of you for helping this poor pup. This girl obviously is not an animal lover or she wouldn't under any circumstance leave him to fend for himself . You make us all proud and you are so caring I know he will end up in a good home with you looking out for him.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
02-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Thank you so much Souraya for stepping in and comforting, loving and caring for this helpless pup. What a hero you are!! And Drake Man, you're a hero as well; sharing your home and your Mommy for just a while, with Chab!!:) I understand how you feel Drake. My Cody (Husky/Shep) is very "Mommy possessive" too!! Have a safe trip Souraya! Three cheers for Souraya!!!

Gepansy
02-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar
Maybe she left him because she knew you would take care of him. She knew that you could not let him starve. :( This is just horrible! How could anyone do such a thing????

That's terrible that she left him, even if she was sure you would take care of him....he was her dog, she shouldn't of left him in your care.
It is great that you are keeping him in the mean time and taking him to the vet soon.Great job!
Alyssa

Dixieland Dancer
02-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Souraya,
What is the situation with this now? How are Chab and Drake getting along now? Any update?

You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I know this is difficult for you and I admire your willingness to help poor Chab in this situation. ;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Chab is fine. Drake still doesn't like him being in his houe and sleeping at his home. But we have been managing. Chab spent the night at the vet. He got neutered yesterday. I picked him up this morning and he is in the guest room. The door is closed so he and Drake don't fight. I went home for lunch to check on them both and they seem to be doing OK.

My brother said they were OK this weekend. His girlfriend took care of Chab and he handled Drake. A few growls here and there but nothing serious.

Sorry I didn't update you sooner, but I have been swamped at work and at home.

K9karen
02-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Sorry (my middle name) that this is late, although I read the thread, had no time to reply decently....
Souraya, you just awesome and I admire you so much!;) You have a heart of gold. To make and take time with work, Drake, Andrew away,, you are a marvel. Bless you and Chabbie..I hope he finds a good home soon.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-07-2002, 10:21 AM
I think I may have found Chabby ole boy a new home! A friend of mine is looking for a doggy and I have been telling her how great Chab is. House Broken, Obedience Trained, Neutered, Up To Date with his Shots, Soft, Cudly, and so sweet. She lives in Columbus, GA which is about 2 hours away. I will be driving Chab down there on Saturday morning to meet Alyssa. Hopefully, she will fall in love with him and he will have a new forever home.

I will update you on Sunday or Monday.

purrley
02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
That is such wonderful news - I know she will just love him, how could she not - I have a feeling you'll be driving back alone.;)

Dixieland Dancer
02-07-2002, 10:57 AM
What wonderful news! Thanks for keeping us posted.

ramanth
02-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Fingers crossed that she loves Chab. :D

AdoreMyDogs
02-07-2002, 11:30 AM
I can't believe that person could have moved out and left their dog behind :( That just breaks my heart, but it happens so often and that is a huge shame. This time it sounds like it might not end in tragity, because you were the kind person who made sure Chab was never alone to fend for himself.

You deserve a metal.

I hope your friend falls in love with Chab. The fact that he's already neutered increases his chances a whole bunch. That was such an act of kindness and I have such a huge amount of respect for you. Thanks for reaching out and helping that helpless pup.

Good luck on finding your forever home, Chab :)

Albea
02-07-2002, 11:54 AM
What great news about Chab!!!
I hope your friend liked him and that he'll never again be without a loving home.Drake must be very happy to have his mommy all to himself again.
Congratulations to you for taking such good care of the poor boy. :)

aly
02-07-2002, 03:25 PM
Good luck Souraya!!! I'll be praying your friend falls in love with Chab. How could she not though? He sounds perfect! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Bless you for doing all you can for Chab!

K9karen
02-08-2002, 07:54 AM
What encouraging news! Will be anxiously awaiting the results! Hope Alyssa and Chab find instant love! Be careful driving!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-11-2002, 08:37 AM
Well, on Saturday morning Chab and I made the drive to Columbus and met Alyssa. Chabby looked his best and was on his best behavior (he always has been). We played and hung out at the house and was so sweet. Alyssa fell in love and the three of us went to PetSmart so that Alyssa could by Chab new toys and other stuff just for him!

I drove home and cried coz I knew I was going to miss that sweet little boy. Drake on the otherhand was relieved that he didn't have to share his home. But I am sure he will miss his play mate!

purrley
02-11-2002, 08:40 AM
This is just wonderful - I'm sure they're in for a very happy life together - thanks to you Souraya - God Bless:)

Dixieland Dancer
02-11-2002, 09:19 AM
GOOD JOB SOURAYA! Isn't it a wonderful feeling knowing you saved a dogs life and more importantly have provided him with a better and more loving home than what he had with the disappearing neighbor.

carrie
02-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Well done Souraya! What a star! Give yourself a big hug from me!

ramanth
02-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Alright Souraya!! You're my hero. :)

I'm so happy Alyssa loved Chab. How could she not? :D

Gio
02-11-2002, 11:23 AM
I'm so pleased that Chab found a home where he will be loved. I know you are going to miss him but at least you will be able to see him once in a while and you know that you have found him a home he deserves. I dread to think what would have happened if he went back to his original owner... You should be proud of yourself, you've done a really great job.

AdoreMyDogs
02-11-2002, 11:36 AM
Hip hip Hurray!!! You're a most WONDERFUL person to have saved Chab's life :D I am so happy that this ended well :D

aly
02-11-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm so happy the sweet boy has a wonderful home :) Souraya saved the day!

lizbud
02-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Souraya, EXCELLENT !!! I'm so very happy to
hear this Good News. Chab will never forget your
kindness. May God heap blessings upon you, Drake
& your family....