PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever broken a bone?

PJ's Mom
05-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has ever broken anything. I've never had a broken bone and while I don't ever want one, I sometimes wonder what it feels like. People talk about it like it's nothing. :eek:

So, what have you broken?

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I broke my wrist when I was 11, I was at my friends house in her pool and I don't know what we were doing exactly but suddenly the pool collapsed and we both fell out into a bunch of rocks and I landed on my wrist and broke it. It hurt a lot! To this day it still bothers me, I'm not sure why but the doctor said it will probably be sore for the rest of my life and when I'm old it might get to the point where I won't be able to use it at all...

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-21-2005, 04:42 AM
Never broken anything! And I hope I never won't!! My brother-in-law broke a leg in 3 places in January , and it still isn't cured yet!! My mom broke her shoulder last year, and it was VERY painful, as you cannot put a shoulder into a cast :(

chocolatepuppy
05-21-2005, 04:48 AM
I've broken three bones! :eek: My left leg when I was 2 1/2. My brother talked me into climbing on a bookcase to see out the window! :rolleyes: When I was 7 I broke my left arm while 'ice skating' on our patio! And when I was 16 I broke my left collarbone. My hubby (then boyfriend) pushed me down a hill curled up in an intertube! :o I do remember the last two and let me tell you, it hurts!
Now I've moved on to pulling, straining and spraining things instead. ;) Doesn't hurt quite as bad, but takes longer to heal!:p

jenluckenbach
05-21-2005, 05:59 AM
I have never broken any bones. And I gotta tell ya.....just reading about it makes my skin crawl. :eek:

Ginger's Mom
05-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I have never broken anything, but my sister has broken her leg and/or foot five times!!!
(Chocolatepuppy, down the hill in an innertube? LOL)

k9krazee
05-21-2005, 08:05 AM
I have broken my finger! My brother slammed the car door on it, I didn't feel anything at first but once I saw the blood I started Freaking out!

Cincy'sMom
05-21-2005, 08:14 AM
I broke my nose when I was in 7th grade. I was pitching a softball game, and the ball came right back at me and smacked me in the face!! Nose looked fine, but I looked like a racoon for a week!!

finn's mom
05-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Knock on wood, cuz I have never broken anything.

flamepony12
05-21-2005, 08:52 AM
I've never broken a bone! *knock on wood*

*edit* haha, Kari beat me to it, I guess we can both knock on wood. :p

Kfamr
05-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I've broken many toes..

Both of the large bones in my right arm, as well as chipped the little circle bones in my wrist.

It hurt like heck. It felt fine when I had a cast on and drugs!
My wrist still hurts a lot.. 5 or so years later. :( I get sharp pulsing pains in it every now and then to the point where I can't use it comfortably.

christa
05-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Lots!

Broken right arm.
Crushed left arm (you can still feel the indentation).
Broken ribs.
Fractured vertebraes.
Fractured tailbone.

Well, that's it . . . but that's enough!

LKPike
05-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I might be the reason why McDonalds took out all their teacup rides :o ((where you all sit in a circle twisting a steering wheel around to make you spin))

When I was 4 and our family was on the way to new jersey we took a break at a Mcdonalds for dinner, my older sister, younger brother, and cousin wouldnt stop teasing me and refusing to allow me to get on, so I ran at it attempting to jump on while it was moving, slid under the moving teacup ride and broke my wrist and collarbone.

I didn't realize until a few years later that Mcdonalds no longer had the teacup rides lol

I broke my ankle and wrist ((again)) while skateboarding 3 years ago, at different times. Last week I badly sprained my left wrist to a half break just sleeping on it unknowingly all night! :eek: I guess it doesnt help that I don't drink milk or take calcium/vitamins :(

Fox-Gal
05-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Several broken bones

My toes has been broken many of times. So many times that my baby toe has taken on a different size and shape. :eek: You think I'd learn to where shoes by now....not me. lol

My whole foot, one time. My cow stepped on it and shattered it. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tail bone, slipping on some ice. They had to cut into me and reshape it. I carried a pillow with a hole in it for 2 months, just to be able to sit.

My ankle, jumping off a boat, into what I though was deeper water.

Just a month or so ago, I broke my ring finger. Rockey's fault. (long story) The finger still hurts if touched the wrong way, so I don't believe it healed right. Can't wear my ring now. :(

And everyone hurt like H$%#. We might talk about it like it was nothing, but is was something........at least for me. Some worse then others, like the foot......I wanted to die with that one.

Kfamr
05-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal

My toes has been broken many of times. So many times that my baby toe has taken on a different size and shape. :eek: You think I'd learn to where shoes by now....not me. lol

Must be a Floridian thing ;) My mom and I rarely wear shoes. Only time I wear shoes if i'm going to go into a store or something.

LorraineO
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
yup,, and it hurt like a youknowwhat!

EssTer
05-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I broke my right (I think)leg when I was about 4 or five...so I do not remember how I did brake it nor how painful it was (thanx God lol)....

manda_moo87
05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
I broke my pinky finger (left) when I was in the 3rd grade playing basketball. Didn't catch the ball right and it bent my finger back all the way then "snap"... :p Then I broke my baby toe (right) when I was 14, I smashed it against a table lol.

chocolatepuppy
05-21-2005, 01:39 PM
(Chocolatepuppy, down the hill in an innertube? LOL)

he he,I swear it was fun! :p It was a big truck tire innertube and I went further down the hill than anyone else! :rolleyes: Then I heard a crack!:eek: Needless to say, *don't attempt this at home* :D

Karen
05-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by LKPike
I guess it doesnt help that I don't drink milk or take calcium/vitamins :(

Do be sure to fix that. Take steps to make sure you get enough calcium. You are still growing bone, and NEED it. However you get it, make sure you do. Do that now, or your later years may be misery, just ask my Aunt. She never drank her milk as a teenager or young adult, and has many many problems with osteoporosis and arthritis because of that.

As to the question, no. I have never broken a bone. I've had a hole cut into my skull, but that probably doesn't count, huh?

CagneyDog
05-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Yup!

I've broken numerous fingers and toes, my pinkie finger is completly out of shape, it looks really weird :o :p and I broke my arm when I was 4.

Glacier
05-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Several! Broke my leg when I was five. I tried to follow my big brother. We had been flying a kite off our garage roof and Lance jumped down. I forgot that he was 15 and a bit more able than I was! It was early spring. He landed in the last pile of snow, I hit my swingset.

I broke my arm when I was eight. Shattered it actually. It required several surgeries to reset it. My elbow is still crooked. The only way they could give me movement in my elbow joint was to set it slightly crooked. Otherwise my arm would be frozen. It's only noticeable if I hold my arm straight out in front of me.

I've broken all my fingers multiple times-- I've played alot of sports! I've broken ribs in a snowmobiling accident. Broke all my toes one night when I kicked the bed trying to walk in the dark. I'm not sure if it hurt that much, but when I looked down and saw my toes pointing at my body, I freaked out!

bckrazy
05-21-2005, 02:03 PM
no, thank GOD! it hurts a lot, I'm sure. . I did chip my ankle bone in 7th grade, skateboarding :rolleyes:

*LabLoverKEB*
05-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Never!

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I "fractured" my wrist playing basketball over a year ago, so otherwords, broke it, though it would have healed fine without a cast!!:p That's it for me!:)

Toby's my baby
05-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I broke my right wrist last August while riding horse, I hit it on the saddle when the horse reared up and it broke. I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on it, and we are going to Rochester clinic (Mayo) which is supposedly the best clinic/hospital in the US, because my hand is always numb and they dont know what is wrong with it.

In January of '04 I broke my ankle playing basketball, and they didnt know it was broken untill Febuary of '05!! I had been walking on a broken ankle for more then a year. I had surgery done to fix it in March or April, know my knee is all screwed up from walking on my ankle funny.

RICHARD
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
My little toe.

That's how I found out about "broken toe radar'..

Amazing how you home in on stuff that's in your way and crash the broken toe into it....:rolleyes:

chrissycat21
05-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I've never broken anything. I did sprain my wrist playing tag once.

luvofallhorses
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I have broken one of my toes(slipping on the ice) and I swear this shampoo bottle is my enemy because it fell on my toe and it hurt like heck! :eek:

DogLover9501
05-21-2005, 05:47 PM
I broke my foot about 5 years ago, and it still bothers me all the time :rolleyes:

lizbud
05-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Not yet.:D (knock wood)

todd
05-21-2005, 08:46 PM
no have not broken a bone?

wolfsoul
05-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Nope! I've been banged around sooo many times, but I get TONS of calcium so my bones are very strong.

My friend broke one of her arms six times and her other arm once. :eek: The second time she broke her arm she was just a toddler, and she actually ripped the cast off of her arm while in her crib. It didn't set properly and they had to re-break it. My mom smashed her elbow on the coffee table and now she has a chunk of bone floating around lol.

Suki Wingy
05-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Must be a Floridian thing ;) My mom and I rarely wear shoes. Only time I wear shoes if i'm going to go into a store or something.
Smae except I've been in IL my whole life.
You would think I would break something because I'm so adventurous, but only scrapped up and many jammed fingers.

Bigyummydog
05-22-2005, 12:48 AM
in college....i walked into someone lifting weights--wasn't watching where i was going, 2 ribs....both knees (different times), right wrist, playing softball....and years later, i fell off a ladder at work, one bone in my arm and crushed two bones in my wrist, that was really nasty....and MAXIMUS broke one in right foot....i think that's all.....

....i am, and always have been a heavy duty milk drinker....:confused:

NoahsMommy
05-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Nope!!I hope never to...it sounds painful.

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Wow! There have been a lot of broken bones at PT. :eek:

Oggyflute
05-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Well in my somewhat excitable youth, I did break a blokes jaw once:o , unfortunately I broke my knuckle at the same time.:( :eek:

Vette
05-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Not so far. *knock on wood*

but my brother broke one his arms when were both pretty little. i dont remeber much about it,, or even how he did it.. i just sorta remeber him jamming anything he could down the cast to scratch his arm..LOL

LKPike
05-22-2005, 08:14 AM
{off topic}

@ Vette -

That has to be the *cutest* little siggy-puppy-picture-thing I've ever seen :) :)

moosmom
05-22-2005, 12:09 PM
I broke my right fifth metatarsil about 12 years ago.

PJ's Mom
05-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I broke my right fifth metatarsil about 12 years ago.

Your fifth what? :D SOunds painful, whatever that is. :eek:

sasvermont
05-22-2005, 02:01 PM
On Feb. 18, 2005 I fell on ice at home and broke two bones in my left wrist. One bone is still "unattached" or chipped and considered still broken.

The recovery seemed endless, but it has begun to feel normal to me, to have partial use of my left hand. It is such an improvement over NO use, that I love having just partial.

I hope to have total use of the wrist within one year.

The cast(s) were undoubtedly the most stressful for me. Some folks just breeze through that stage, but I struggled, at best.

Each person has a threshold for pain and discomfort....mine must be on the low side, as I hated the entire event.

wolf_Q
05-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I fractured my right arm before the start of 6 grade. It was fun trying to write (I'm right-handed) with a cast on. :rolleyes: I was running through the front yard and tripped over a sprinkler and landed on the sidewalk.

momcat
05-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi! Yup, I've done it big time. Several years ago I fell off a horse during a lesson. Among other things I had two dislocations & three breaks in my wrist and broke my pelvis in three places. Then a little over a year ago I fell walking home from church and ended up with my ankle broken in two places. Broken bones are definitely NOT recommended!!!!!

ParNone
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, my right hand. I was diving head first back to second base in a softball game and my middle finger caught the base and snapped backwards. I could hear a pop, but since I was still able to move my hand, I and none of my teammates realized it was broken. I finished up the game so they wouldn't have to forfeit.

I went to work the next day and by then it had swollen up quite a bit, but I still didn't realize it was broken. After 3 more days of working with a broken hand, that wasn't improving, I decided maybe I should go to the doctor. Sure enough it was broken, but they had to order some brace that was going to take a couple of weeks to get there. Uh, I don't think so.

I then went to a sports medicine doctor and he right away put me in a cast. I think that was about 10 years ago. I don't have any pain in that hand and it works great. Thank goodness I went to the sports doctor, it most likely would have never healed correctly in just a brace.

Par...

Samantha Puppy
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
I broke my arm when I was 11-12. I was chasing my friend around outside at school and this nasty girl stuck her foot out and tripped me. I fell so fast, I didn't have time to break my fall by putting my arms out, so my entire body weight landed on my right arm.

It hurt a lot at first, but after that wasn't so bad. I got out of doing dishes because of the cast and got out of gym class (woo hoo!), so I didn't mind!