PDA

View Full Version : Woman admits nine cruelty charges

ChrisH
05-20-2005, 06:55 PM
A woman who kept 271 animals in appalling conditions at her Lancashire home has admitted nine cruelty charges. Rosalind Gregson, 55, of Silverdale, had denied a total of 49 charges of failing to provide the animals with necessary care and attention. The trial was halted after she changed her plea to guilty at Preston Magistrates Court on Friday.

The case was adjourned for three weeks until sentencing. Mrs Gregson has agreed to hand over all the animals. The 40 remaining charges will remain on file.

The court had previously heard that RSPCA officer Sarah Harland found dogs, birds, cats, a rabbit and a chinchilla at her home.
She said she was struck by an overpowering stench of ammonia, urine and excrement when she first entered the cottage in Lindeth Road on 10 September 2003.

Ann-Marie Gregory, defending, told Friday's hearing: "There is a very tragic background to this case. It's not a deliberate or wanton act. It's taken some act of courage for Mrs Gregson to do this today. Of course, it's right, there are nine animals that suffered and she must be punished."

Gregson kept the animals in dark, dusty, dirty conditions with little water and food and hardly any ventilation, the court was told.

District Judge Peter Ward adjourned the case to allow probation reports to be compiled but said he was keeping "all options open".

The nine charges referred to cruelty to nine dogs - two Yorkshire terriers, three lhasa apsos, three shih tzu and one old English sheepdog. Five of the animals had been so mistreated that they had to be put down.

Mr Ward said: "If we look to the nature of the offences and have regard to the offender, one is bound to look at a custodial sentence as a starting point and consider the particular circumstances of the mitigation. It seems to me we can quite adequately deal with the justice of this case on the nine (charges) and it's reasonable in the circumstances not to pursue the others."

The RSPCA has applied for costs totalling £139,749.22.

Gregson was released on bail to return to court on 10 June for sentence.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4566033.stm

If you follow the link, there is a small picture of one of the poor dogs, also, on the top right hand of the page there is a link to an RSPCA video of what they found at the house.

moosmom
05-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I just don't understand some people. Don't they know what their limits are???

I hope and pray for ALL the animals that were taken from her. May they find wonderful furrrever homes!

momcat
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I don't understand how the defense attorney can say this wasn't deliberate! The abuser had to know that those animals were suffering because of her neglect! There's no excuse for what she did. Zero tolerance for this! I hope the judge throws the whole library at her!!!!!

kimlovescats
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM
How very sad and just plain awful! This woman needs not only "up to" six months in jail ... but psychiatric help. These poor animals .... I pray they can be saved and find real homes!:(