PDA

View Full Version : A stinky question

catnapper
05-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Ok, here's the scoop: My youngest daughter has a bad problem with sweating. Its gross, and she's embarassed by it. No sooner does she put on a fresh shirt, she's sweating in it. She has tried almost every deoderant and anti-persperant available. They work for a few days, then the effectiveness fades til its almost non-existant.

Anyone else have problems (or friends, family members, etc) like this? If so, what have you (they) done to help it? The older she gets, the worse it seems to be getting. She's 15 now.

I jokingly told her we need to get her some pit-gaurds... and she actually would try them if it meant not showing the world big wet rings on her shirt. Where would I find a product like that?

Poor kid. :( She refuses to wear light colors now because the lighter the color = the easier it is to spot the wet ring.

jazzcat
05-20-2005, 03:58 PM
One of my best friends in high school had that problem. She was head majorette and was always so embarrassed when she'd have sweat rings on her uniform. After her Jr. prom pictures were ruined because you could see the sweat rings under her arms in her dress her mother took her to the doctor. They put her on some kind of pill to help, and it did. This was in the mid 80s so I'm sure there is something even better available by now. Sorry, I don't know the name of the drug but it saved her senior year in high school.

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Poor thing thats a rough age as it is without that problem. I swear by secret. I do think you should ask the doctor I bet they have something.

Karen
05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Has she ever spoken to her doctor about it? Maybe there's some underlying cause for it, medically?

carole
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Kim I was thinking along the same lines as Karen, perhaps a full medical would be a good idea, there can be other reasons for her excess sweating, or maybe she is just one of those unlucky people, there are certain deoderants on the market for people with this problem, I think Mitchims put out one in particular, not sure if you get the brand over there.

kuhio98
05-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Dress shields might be the way to go.

http://www.advantagewear.com/disposable_underarm_shields.htm

It looks like it sticks to your shirt and keeps the rings from showing through.

A checkup might determine whether its hormones or more sweat glands or what. Poor thing, it's such an awful age. No one wants to be "different". :(

Nomilynn
05-20-2005, 05:20 PM
there is a condition called hyperhydrosis which means excessive sweating, and there are treatments for it. Maybe a trip to the doctor is in order :)

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Kim,

I used to work with someone who had this...and some issues with finding deodorants that worked. This is what she found that really worked:
http://www.arrid.com/category.aspx?pid=8

I agree that maybe a trip to the doctor would help too.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

catnapper
05-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you. It never occured to me that a doctor might be able to help here. Duh! It seems to be a family trait, her aunt has the same problem, as did her grandmom.

We did buy Mitchum deoderant the other day. So far, its better than anythign else she's been using, but still not making the miracle difference.

moosmom
05-22-2005, 12:33 PM
hyperhydrosis

Is that the medical term for hot flashes???:p :p Just kidding.

I also think a trip to the doctor may be in order. I use Secret Platinum and it works. I've also tried every deodorant on the market.

My daughter has the problem of odor. She puts deodorant on two and three times a day.