PDA

View Full Version : smelly litter, as posted in general

ashleycat
05-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I use exquisicat litter for my buns. The wood smell is really stong. I used to use carefresh, but it didn't last as long. What is best to use or anyone know of any products to hide the smell? Like an air purifier or something?

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
When we had indoor bunnies, we used Carefresh. You're supposed to dump it and clean the boxes daily...maybe that's why its smelling??

kittycats_delight
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
does your buns use a litter box or no? My moms bun won't have anything to do with litter unless it is natural feeling. We found the best thing to use though a little expensive was Swheat Scoop Natural. It doesn't smell when used and it doesn't have a strong natural smell. Also we used a pine ltter too but I can't remember the name. That was not as good as Swheat but still good nonetheless. It's natural smell is a little bit stronger and it is much cheaper. Also it holds odor quite well.

ashleycat
05-20-2005, 01:48 PM
When we had indoor bunnies, we used Carefresh. You're supposed to dump it and clean the boxes daily...maybe that's why its smelling??

Its kind of hard to change it everyday with a demanding 7 month old. That's why I use the pellets. That way I can change it every other.

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ashleycat
Its kind of hard to change it everyday with a demanding 7 month old. That's why I use the pellets. That way I can change it every other.
Please don't take this wrong, I don't mean it to be rude in any way.

It took me a total of 2 minutes to dump, flush with water, dry with a paper towel and then add litter. I kept the litter in a large container and it was quick and easy. :)

Otherwise, maybe the natural litter suggested by kittycats_delight would be better? The pine smell may mask the bunny pee.

ashleycat
05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
I have a grate thing on top of the litter so he dont dig it out. I change it out before it starts smelling. The wood is a strong smell. They also leave a lot of "happy pills " on the floor, so when I do the bunny clean up it takes me like 15-30 min. It's a big deep box. Plus theres 2 bunnies in there.

ps, I didn't think you were being rude. Hope you didn't think I was back. lol. I guess it was the lack of smiley faces. :p :D :p

HEY I know, since they cant play in the litter, I can use real kitty litter that has crystals. I don't know why I didnt think of that.. duh !! lolol

sasvermont
05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
I have hay in my bunnies' boxes. I change it once a week. I will confess that I have them on the porch right now .... and their boxes are huge......

ashleycat
05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Hay smells soo bad mixes with urine. I used to put hay on top of litter before the grid thingy. It made it smell worse. Even just one day. One of my bus quit using the box for some reason, so I gotta retrain him with the hay...

But my kitty is using her box now. Or should I say boxes lol. Only thing is, The one in the formal LR is stinky, even after I change it. Tho, it might be the carpet. I guess I can't find the source. I think it's on top of old spots. Will the blacklight show new spots on top of old spots? I see spots where the stuff I put down is.

catmandu
05-20-2005, 03:06 PM
A Friend Of Mine,that has Bunnies,uses the Yesterdays News,and it certainly seems,to work well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos680.jpg

ashleycat
05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Exquisicat is 8$ for 15-20 lbs I think. But then again, It is kinda heavy. lol

ashleycat
11-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I forgot to update. I found out what the smell was. Drew peed in the hay box and the urine and the hay was what was smelly. Not the litter.

I had to seperate them, the vet thinks the reason why Drew wasn't using his box anymore was that he was stressed from Robyn. He's doing much better now.