PDA

View Full Version : office etiquette

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
I sit in a cubicle and 2 of the folks fairly close to me spend most of the day snarfing. I have mentioned this before but its really bad today, I feel like puking. How can they not know how rude this is? What should I do. One of the folks is from china and one from india...is this a cultural thing?

P.s. snarfing is sucking up your snot by the way....it is disgusting I have breakfast and lunch here and can't eat...

Barbara
05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't think snarfing (thanks for the new word) is good etiquette in any culture. :(

I've never seen it with young people- only with very old men in remote areas:(

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
This is one young man 30's or late 20's and one woman late 30's or early 40's.

I didn't think it was cultural either I am just trying to figure out how anyone would not know this is rude. I can't wait till allergy season is over.

robinh
05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Can't be cultural, I have a woman (born and raised in US) who works with me that used to do it all the time. I finally had to ask her not to do it. It just made me physically ill. She forgets occasionally, but she's been really good about trying not to.

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I am really embarrassed to bring it up but it is just sickening. Today it is just constant.

Samantha Puppy
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
I would bring it up. You don't have to be rude about it. Maybe give them a box of Kleenex and say "It sounds like you could use these..." If that doesn't work, spell it out for them. It disgusting in any culture.

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh gosh I am too chicken to do that. I am trying to talk to my neighbor who is bothered by it also to say something she comes off nicer than me:p

moosmom
05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
How about asking them if they need a Kleenex then offering them one??? It's sort of a polite way to hinting that you're repulsed by it without offending anyone.

BTW, my very best friend does that ALL the time. While I find it pretty disgusting too, it's one of those things I overlook because I love her to death!!!

catnapper
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
How about going to a manager - thats what they are there for. They get the extra bucks to do and say things you don't want to! :) If the manager is unwilling to help, go higher. You definately don't have to listen to that all day long.

If nobody is willing to help... then how about leaving an annonymous note on their desk chair after they leave (or before they arrive in the morning) asking them to please consider the others before they sniff their snot. Tell them how distracting it is, and how simply blowing their noses would be much preferred.

PS: I never hear the term snarf before either! :D

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I have thought about the manager thing, just afraid they will figure out who said something. These people are very nice, I just hate to create hard feelings.

by the way I just took off the headphones to see of the coast was clear and oh my gosh I think I am sick.

Logan
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I hate that sound. It's not even a sniff. Snarf is a good word to describe it. It is GROSS! I have several male aquaintances that do it and it drives me crazy. I've even handed them the kleenex box before as a hint! :o It's just a nasty habit and I think many folks probably don't even realize how much noise they are making and how bothersome it is because they've been doing it so long.

Maybe you should offer them an antihistamine for their "post nasal drip". Hehehe!

LKPike
05-20-2005, 03:04 PM
1 from china and 1 from india... you work at aol tech support huh? :p ;)

In american culture its considered rude to slurp your soup/noodles, but in either Japan or China (?) its considered a compliment...

although "snarfing" in the office... hmm... do they have colds or a good excuse?

wolflady
05-20-2005, 03:04 PM
LOL LOL I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud at my desk. Primarily because I know exactly what you are talking about, and the description is just way too funny (accurate though).

I think offering them a Kleenex wouldn't be offensive, so please don't feel bad. Going to a manager is a good idea too. Seriously, if it's that bad, someone really should say something to them. Honestly, they are probably pretty clueless about how rude and gross it is. :o

There is some employee here in my company that hacks up a lung at least once a day. My cube isn't far from the restrooms, so I can hear it loud and clear. :eek: At least he's courteous enough to the people around him to go to the bathroom to do it, but still...it's SO gross!

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I do work in the tech world but not aol.

I did myself have a cough this past winter and one of these people did keep making comments to me so I shouldn't feel bad but I am still chicken. I think a cough you can't help, although I took lots of medicine. I think this is allergies, nothing some tylenol sinus would fix right up.

Bigyummydog
05-20-2005, 03:14 PM
'snarfing' :confused: get there before them and put a box of tissue on each of their desks........right in front, or on top, to be sure they see it....maybe they'll get the hint........eww.......i hate that too.....i'd rather hear them blowing than snarfing.....

Luvin Labs
05-21-2005, 10:12 AM
is it a recent development? like they seriously just got a cold?

or has this been happening for a long long time?

I wouldn't come off nice, so I'd either talk to a manager about it or stick a box of tissues on that person's chair.

i've heard of the word snarf before, from "Snarf" in the Thundercats cartoon!

LOL

caseysmom
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM
No its not recent but it seems like I had a repreive over the winter now its allergy season again. The sacramento valley is horrible for allergies.

I was shopping last night and a clerk did that a little and her customer said "oh you have allergies too" I just don't understand not taking something while at work.