PDA

View Full Version : Wish me lots of luck, please?

Kfamr
05-20-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm going to be getting a job, not the best of jobs, but a job at Chick-Fil-A. Now, that's not the part I need luck with. I could go in right now and start working. I've known the manager there for years.

It's me. I'm so nervous about working. I'm going to go in Sunday (with my mom, as they're closed on Sunday) so she can show me what's what. I hate having to do something without knowing exactly what i'm doing before I start.

I get incredibly nervous around people I don't know. I know most of the employees there and have gone shopping and such with them, even. But I won't know the customers, I won't know any new employees.
I'm just so chicken (no pun intended) and scared and nervous, and uugghhh.

I want the money though. More money = More stuff for the dogs, of course.

Anyways, I guess this is just a silly pointless thread but i'm just so nervous. :(

ramanth
05-20-2005, 08:40 AM
You'll do fine!! *hugs*

I was nervous when I first got a job too.

slleipnir
05-20-2005, 08:42 AM
It's actually kinda funny how much your situation is like mine lol. My mom hired me as well to work for her, and I've been around the place since I was a kid, so I pretty much know all the people.

Like I said on your LJ, I think it's a great chance for you especially if you're nervous. I thought for sure I could NEVER work the bar. I was afraid of pooring draft and making mixed drinks (if you can believe that..:rolleyes: :o) I first started in the dining room and I can remember my first customer...I was literally shaking I was so nervous. I think I've grown a lot since then, and I'm glad I did it (because I was so nervous)

Hope that helps you a little, you'll do great :)

(how do you pronouce that btw..I thought I heard you saying it different...I say it chick-fill-eh?? (chick-filla?) :confused: :rolleyes:

Killearn Kitties
05-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Good luck with the job! I'm sure you'll do fine and get the hang of what you are doing in no time!

anna_66
05-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Kay I'm sure everything is going to be fine. You already know practically everything there is to know and most of the people.
I'm sure your mom taking you in on Sunday is going to be a great help.

I'm always nervous starting a new job so I can totally understand how you feel, but it will be fine...Good Luck Girl:D

cloverfdx
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Kay i am sure you will do just fine, i will keep you in my thoughts. I too was a nervous wreck the first time i worked, at least i dont have to deal with customers anymore (Office work).

Good luck and please let us know how you do {{Hugs}}.

King Spartacus
05-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Good luck! I believe nearly everyone is nervous before they start work for the first time (and later... when they get a new job). I'm sure you'll do great!

Ginger's Mom
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Good Luck to you. :) I am sure that you will do fine. Yes, starting a new job is always nerve-wrecking and exciting at the same time. It's great that you already know most of the people you will be working with, I am sure everyone will be more than willing to help you get comfortable with the job. Congratulations!

Karen
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
I've always heard it pronounced

Chick-fill-ay - rhymes with hooray!

Kay, I know you'll do fine, and it's great that you'll get to familiarize yourself with things first!

The key to dealing with customers is to smile a lot. And if you screw something up, say, "I'm sorry, it's my first day." If you say that with a smile, most people will immediately sympathize. You don't have to "mean" the smile, just seeinga smile will put people more at ease.

LKPike
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
a tip for the new employee of a fast food place: be. careful. on. the. floor. Its like an ice rink with all the grease on the floors and its in every single fast food restaurant! dont worry about the customers just be prepared, there will be very nice people, and really rude people. the big groups are the worst :rolleyes: all the screaming and talking - yuck, I don't miss that at ALL!

Good luck!!! You'll be fine :)

finn's mom
05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
That's a great job to start with. I worked at Arby's and had a blast. It gets crazy, but, it's fun, if you have a good group to work with. But, Chick-fil-a is one of the best fast food places to work for. They have great incentives, and, usually have great managers. When I worked in a mall in Texas, there was one right next door to us, and, some of those kids had been working there for three or four years, and, were making great money. You're always guaranteed sundays off, which is nice. When the Chick-fil-a in the mall closed (due to new mall management), every single one of the employees stayed with the company, and, just transferred to a different store. That was like five years ago, and, before I left Texas, I went to the Chick-fil-a that most of them went to, and, all but two or three were still there. Most are managers now, with excellent benefits. It really is a great place to work! Just watch that you take lunch as often as possible, cuz you end up eating waffle fries every day. ;) Good luck!

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
I had a good feeling when I read where you'll be working. I've seen you post that you've gone there for a sandwich more times than I can count...that means you know the menu and probably a lot of the staff.

I know you'll do great!!

Hugs,
Kelly :)

dukedogsmom
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm glad you went ahead and decided to do it. It will be good for you and maybe even boost your confidence. Plus, you'll get money! Duke and I will have to come by and place an order. I couldn't do it, myself. The first time someone slung some attitude with me, I'd sling it right back. Then, no more money for me :p

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Congrats on the new job and good luck Kay!!:D (I love Chick-fil-let, it's SO good!!) I'm sure you'll do great...just takes time to get used to the "atmosphere!":)

bckrazy
05-20-2005, 03:14 PM
aw, congrats!! I can definitely sympathize, I'm working this summer too! Last summer I worked at a cafe, food service can be a total pain with the customers but it was fun anyway. If you're working with cool people it makes everything SO much more relaxed and fun. you'll be fine ~_~

ChrisH
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Good Luck, Kay! :)

{hugs}
Chris

luvofallhorses
05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Wishing you the best of luck! :)

KYS
05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
My first public job was McDonalds.
I loved it, I made new friends and it brought
me out of my shell.

You will do just fine, just remember
the customer is always right, "well almost always' ;)
be positive, smile and think of that pay check. :)

Chica
05-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Don't be nervous. Everyone is nervous but that changes real quick. Within 2-3 days you will know what to do and feel comfortable.:)

RobiLee
05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world! You are going to be just fine. It is going to be a good experience for you and you are going to love making your own money. Always keep a smile on your face and never let a customer get to you.

Let us know how things go.

Robin :)

Oggyflute
05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
You will be just fine Kay. Don't rush things, be methodical, speed will come with practice. Your a wonderful girl, and I know this with the way that you react with everyone on PT. As a tip, just think of the customers as fellow PTer's and you'll be just fine.:)

K9karen
05-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Kay? You're shy around people you don't know? I never thought of you that way since your threads are always so honest and open. I think you'll do great too! Even with years of experience, I always was nervous my first day of a new job, but in a few days, you'll be a pro and laugh that you were so nervous! Just smile and bite your lip if some jerk gives you a hard time. Just think $$$$ for the muttles. You know what they say.."money talks ...blah blah blah"! You'll be super as usual!!!!