PDA

View Full Version : Eatting gross things

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 10:12 PM
My dog eats..um..gross stuff..she shouldn't..it's kind of embarrising..the "outside" stuff..does anyone know how to stop it?? I can't catch her all the time..and i can smell it and its gross..I just can't see why a dog would eat that..is my dog the only one??

evelyn1157
01-30-2002, 10:35 PM
my dog does that too and there isn't much to do coz she only eats it when she knows i'm not looking

Logan
01-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Audrey,
You are not alone, although my girls have never done this, thank goodness.
I've heard all kinds of solutions but one that seems to work is sprinkling Alum powder on the poop (I assume that's what she is eating). You have to be diligent, but she will learn it is YUCKY. I know there are also commercial remedies that you add into the food when they eat that makes the poop taste real bad (as if it doesn't taste bad already).
There apparently are a couple of reasons why this happens in the first place, either boredom, or a lack of some nutrient in their food. I am no expert, and hopefully someone else will chime in and help you.
Good luck. I know it is a disgusting problem, but many, many dogs do the exact same thing.
Logan

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks. Thats true..but really..theres not much that tastes worst then crap..LOL

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 10:46 PM
She smells REALLY bad right now..i want the smell gone so she can come in..I can smell it not and shes not in here!

LoudLou
01-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Louie did this once or twice.:o ... The first time it was because we lived out in the woods and some animals were scaring him . The 2nd time -We used a product called "Deter". Most pet stores sell it. Put tablet in food. We also changed his diet to a Premium dog food. As the new vet suggested maybe he was smelling "undigested food" (ICK) He hasn't done it for a LONG time since I did all this.

purrley
01-31-2002, 06:54 AM
:D :D This might be mean to say, but I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to putting up with this disgusting doggie behavior. Although Tess has never eaten her own poo (YET), she loves the cat poop when she can get to it. She also sniffs around all the time, eats lint and pieces of loose carpet and God knows what else. It's doggie behavior I'm told and nothing I can to about it. So I'll accept her as she is cause she's really so cute and I love her more every day. Just gotta watch out for those puppy kisses when that snout has been into something really yucky:D :D

Kfamr
01-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Simba, the grub eating poo eating grass eating leave eating whatever eatin doggie, has don thie more than once... i dont know how to correct it but it only bothers me when he 1. either brings the grub, grass, leaves in the house 2. He rolls in the poo.... (it only makes bath time for him which he HATES... and me giving a bath to him which i hate) or 3 if he comes in and gives me a kiss on the face... EWWW!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

purrley
01-31-2002, 07:48 AM
I hear ya - all I can say is keep the bath water warm and the tooth brush handy;)

ellensy
01-31-2002, 08:50 AM
my crunchy use to do that to when she was one yr old i think and i also think its gross. But she doesn't do that now, she's 3 now. Maybe dogs outgrow that stage of eating you-know-what~ hehe :D

slleipnir
01-31-2002, 09:29 AM
Jo doesn't eat her own either. Just the other dogs. I don't think she does it all the time, but it's still gross. We tried pills and stuff that is suppost to make her stop, buut it doesn't.
KayAnn, I think all (most anyway) dogs eat grass, Jo does all the time in the summer. It helps settle their stomachs or something.

C.C.'s Mom
01-31-2002, 09:57 AM
Cookie doesn't do it, but her buddy Benny does. He's 13 years old and was rescued from the shelter last year. He very muchly seems to enjoy it. The worst it, that he likes to come up to us and make sure we know what he has been munching on. YAK!

slleipnir
01-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Yeah, same with Jo..I think I should put Bengay on it after the dog goes. She HATES the smell of it, she won't go anywhere near it..Maybe she'll learn that poo=gross bengay