PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean for company?

Sirrahsim
05-20-2005, 01:21 AM
My hubby and I decided to have a semi-improptu get together this weekend for the single airmen in the dorms. We usually go to the dorms to play cards and have fun, but tonight it's gonna be at our house because we have a grill and a kitchen and all that. I *know* that they aren't gonna give a crap if my floor is vacuumed, my bathroom floor is spotless, and the litter box has been bleached (as long as it's not stinky), but I CAN NOT fight the compulsion to make everything spotless for them. I'm 40 weeks pregnant and just spent the last hour scrubbing the darn bathroom:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: These people wouldn't care if there were clothes and stuff thrown everywhere (as long as I make them cookies:rolleyes: :D ) but I just can't fight it.

Do you clean for company? Even when you know they won't care?

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 01:23 AM
ha ha...David and I used to joke that we have to invite people over SO WE'LL CLEAN! ;) Of course, that's not totally true, but its kind of funny.

Have fun tonight!

gemini9961
05-20-2005, 01:29 AM
I clean every week and not just some dusting either. I clean bathrooms, bedrooms, sweep, mop, vaccuum..clean the whole house top to bottom and I never have company. I can't stand a messy house. I'm borderline obsessive about it. It's awful I know. If there is one piece of dirt or a hair on the kitchen floor I'm there sweeping away. I admit it, I'm a total neat freak and clean freak.:p

popcornbird
05-20-2005, 01:39 AM
LOL!!! Yes! Not only do we clean for company, we pretty much make the house spotless. I don't care if they don't care...Its me who cares...LOL! People shouldn't ever have the impression that our house isn't clean. :p He he he. Its just the way I was brought up. Guests should always be welcomed to a clean house. My mom and I always joke that we should invite people over every weekend so the house ALWAYS stays clean. Whenever we have frequent visitors, its like the house never gets messy at all. Guests help keep a house clean...in their own way. :D

Vette
05-20-2005, 01:40 AM
We clean for company too :D

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-20-2005, 05:12 AM
I clean DAILY and OBSSESSIVELY! It drives Andrew up a wall. Company or no company, have to be up for work at 5 or not, I clean all the time. Can't relax until everything is spotless :D

christa
05-20-2005, 06:46 AM
I am the same way, Missy! Everything has to be put away, out of sight, and scrubbed to a satisfying shine! You'd think I'd just keep it that way all the time, but I am only obsessive when I know someone's coming over, LOL . . .

YOU really shouldn't be scrubbing the bathroom like that! I don't see how you did it! I have a hard time scrubbing that much and I'm not 40 weeks preg! LOL . . . take it easy!

sirrahbed
05-20-2005, 06:49 AM
I clean bathrooms for company and straighten up, yes.

Funny though, we recently had PT folks (K&L from Arizona) stop in, and I did NOT worry about dusting and vacumning because I knew that all the cat hair would not bother them:p

I keep the house pretty clean anyway though - an a bit obsessive also. I like the floors to be nice and clean because grandbaby Misha crawls all over!!

The cat hair is the biggest problem - I worry about people getting grossed out about it - though I rarely notice it.

A big thing I stress about is the way the cats get anywhere they want to:rolleyes: ...like on the counters, on the table etc. Some folks would freak out about that but I figure cat hair is a fact of life:D (at least MY life)

LorraineO
05-20-2005, 06:52 AM
nope,,, because I clean my house on a daily basis,, I HATE mess and dirt,,,,,,,,

Christiansmommy
05-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Yes. I clean all the time though, it seems :) I actually like to clean. I can't stand a messy house either. And I agree, Popcornbird, even if the guests don't care that the house is spotless, I do :) I love sitting in a clean clean room...can't stand to be around mess and clutter...if it is messy, I can't relax.

And since today is a rainy day...i will be in the house cleaning away :)

Robyn

Samantha Puppy
05-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Always. It drives my husband nuts.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
ha ha...David and I used to joke that we have to invite people over SO WE'LL CLEAN! ;)

Ha ha ha, LOL!! Exactly same thing here!! The worst possible is when my dad is coming over :eek: Oh my, big panic here!! No, it isn't dirty at all, but my dad is so super-tidy-gets-you nuts.... :rolleyes: Even even I did the whole house with a magnifying glass (sp??), he will show me a "spot" by pointing his finger at it... .... ARGHHHH? drives me nuts!!

ps. My dad is 82 :D

Kfamr
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Yes.

I don't usually mind my room being a mess but when I have people come over I clean or else there'd be no place for them to sit. Our house is generally "clean" most of the time, my parents are insane. :rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
I clean DAILY and OBSSESSIVELY! It drives Andrew up a wall. Company or no company, have to be up for work at 5 or not, I clean all the time. Can't relax until everything is spotless :D

Want to stop by sometime?? My house could use a good cleaning from someone who needs to clean!!!

Let'see Mom and Christy are on their way up....

Bathroom clean...no
Vacuum run...no
toys picked up...no
Dishes done...I'm off to at least do that!!!!

cubby31682
05-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Same way here. I try and pick up every day and make sure things look half way decent. On the weekends we have our big cleaning day. We clean floors, vacuume, tub, bathroom, laundry, bedroom.

When my mom was here the last week, we got on ladders and was cleaning. She runs her finger across everything and will turn and look at me and say "see all that dust?" I just smile and hand her a towel. I figure if she wants to nit pick she can clean it then. :) She hasn't ever cleaned it but I think she gets the hint that I don't like her complaining about a little bit of dust.

anna_66
05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
All you neat freaks wanna come to my house and clean sometime!

I've given up on trying to keep the house clean. I can dust and by the time night comes you can see dust again!

But honestly if I am having company I do try to clean the house as well as can be expected (but of course by the time they get here there's dog hair all over the house again:rolleyes: ) Try having a husky, chow and mastiff...they all shed terribly, expecially this time of year:o

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I work full time and so I have someone come in every 2 weeks and help with the cleaning...but guess what? I clean the night before she comes! My family thinks I am nuts but I am mostly cleaning clutter. It keeps things under control.

I picked casey up 2 months ago the wrong way and my back has been killing me every since so I am not keeping up as good right now.

sirrahbed
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I work full time and so I have someone come in every 2 weeks and help with the cleaning...but guess what? I clean the night before she comes!

Funny!!! The one time I had a regular cleaning lady was when we lived in Germany and the money exchange rate was terrific so it was not expensive. I did the same thing - scrubbed before she came. I wasn't going to let her see my dirt!!:eek:

So, she would do some wonderful baking and we would sit and have coffee and I polished up my german language skills:p

What I think would be great is to hire professionals to come in and really scour the place until everything was gleaming - then I think it would be so much easier to just try to keep it that way.

caseysmom
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Its been a life saver....every weekend I spent cleaning now I can do fun stuff with the kids. Although they are not learning very good cleaning skills...:rolleyes:

I tell my family if we get poor I am keeping the cleaning lady and they are eating beans!

LorraineO
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
check out what a dust mite looks like and then tell me you wont dust EVERYDAY from now on!!! EWWWWW

Buddy Blaze Lover
05-20-2005, 11:59 AM
OMG, we clean EXTRAORDINARILY when guests come!!! Mom insists on having a CLEAN house with company!!!!:p:)

jennifert9
05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
We don't usually have company since Duncan is so vehemently against it..:rolleyes: but I suppose if we did, we would do extra cleaning. Collin and I are both neat people so the house is never messy but the dusting, vacuuming, bathroom etc. get done once a week.
I made this deal with Collin before we moved in together: I refuse to become his maid so if he is in a hurry and leaves a towel on the floor or *gross* his beard shavings in the sink, they stay there until he cleans them. He vacuums, I do the dishes. But if one of us makes the mess, that same person cleans the mess. Hopefully company doesn't come while we're in that standoff!! ;) :D

persianmom
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds more like nesting to me. What do you think grandma Deb.I'm sure the guys loved the fact that they were in a home and not the dorm. Iuse to do the same thing for the airmen. I really enjoyed it. Hang in there Missy you will have many sleepless nights a head of you so enjoy the ones you can get now.
Love and Miss you all
Mom

RedHedd
05-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by anna_66
All you neat freaks wanna come to my house and clean sometime! I can never figure out how to squeeze it all in. I have an unwritten rule in my house - no major housework allowed on weekends - weekends are for FUN! I do my housecleaning on Monday nights. After a fun weekend, it usually needs it. :rolleyes: But me neat, HECK NO!

Right now my apartment is piled high with boxes getting ready for the retrofit move so the place is cramped and dusty. It will be over soon .... like in a few months! <groan>

jenluckenbach
05-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
ha ha...David and I used to joke that we have to invite people over SO WE'LL CLEAN! ;)

This pretty much describes Charlie and me. :rolleyes:

prechrswife
05-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Yes! I am a little obsessive about the house being cleaned for company. I like for it to be clean all the time, but that doesn't always happen. My parents are coming next weekend, and the house will be spotless.

Sirrahsim
05-20-2005, 09:03 PM
wow, so many people keep their houses clean:eek: :eek: It's not uncommon for dishes to sit unwashed in my sink until they begin to stink. My thinking is that if there are still enough dishes to cook with and eat on, why wash them?:D

I did finish cleaning my house and we had lots of fun:D People stayed around till a little after 1am then everyone went their seperate ways. I think that once Tyler is here we will probably try to host the weekly get together here more often. They really like it and it would be more convenient for us to be at home:D

anna_66
05-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
wow, so many people keep their houses clean:eek: :eek: It's not uncommon for dishes to sit unwashed in my sink until they begin to stink. My thinking is that if there are still enough dishes to cook with and eat on, why wash them?:D

Couldn't have said it better myself! I've been know to do that many, many times:o Washing dishes is one of my most not favorite things to do.

check out what a dust mite looks like and then tell me you wont dust EVERYDAY from now on!!!
Sorry not enough to make me clean every day:p

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Not really, my house is always usually clean. I do vacuum before people come over jsut so they aren't as covered with fur because Tango and Winston shed just about enough to make a new dog everyday!

Oggyflute
05-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim

Guilty as charged in my bachelor days. :D I actually had a dish washer and used to just rinse things and stack them till the washer was full. That kind of came to a halt when Carole moved in though. Everything gets washed dryed at put away , every time.:rolleyes: We've moved from my old pad too, and our current house has no dishwasher anyway, so his nibs here is #1 bottlewasher and cook.:D

We don't clean specifically for guests, but Carole goes around the house everyweekend anyway. kind of like the Tassies devil in those bugs bunny cartoons.:D

K9karen
05-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey Gemini9961..what are you doing next Saturday??? :p
Used to, but with my life in a tizzy these days, I could are less. It ain't perfect but it's decent.

Edwina's Secretary
05-22-2005, 06:57 PM
This reminds me of a time when I was a kid and my parents were out of town. My grandparents were taking care of us. I came down with a frighteningly high fever on Sunday (in fact, I think it was Easter.)

My grandmother called the doctor who said he would be over (doctors still made house calls.) My grandmother changed the sheets on the bed, had me take a shower and put on a clean nightie!

And yes...I clean for company and after company....