View Full Version : Amber is going to the dentist.

jenluckenbach
05-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Our Amber has been struggling with bad gums for quite some time now. Seems she has an auto-immune reaction to her own teeth. Her gums swell and get infected, red and sore. We have been controlling it with predisone and an occasional antibiotic. She is now completely on soft food (which I don't really prefer), but it helps her to eat without pain.

She will be going in for a cleaning but more importantly they will be pulling the majority of her back teeth. As I understand it, this will help the auto-immune reaction to stop and she should not get the swelling, pain and redness any longer.

Keeping her on the steroid was not a long term solution, but it did help buy us some time to judge if the extractions were necessary. And as she isn't getting any younger, I did not wish to postpone anesthesia any longer.

So, think of her on Monday and hope that she will once again be able to eat her crunchies without pain.

Grace
05-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Nothing worse than going to the dentist. Thankfully, she'll be *out* while everything goes on.

You bet I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

NoahsMommy
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Aww, sounds like the extractions will really help Amber.

Good luck on Monday, sweetie pie!

Hugs,
Auntie Kelly

catnapper
05-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Poor Amber. Maybe she alwasy look grumpy because her teeth always hurt? ;) Good luck at the white coats sweetie. I'm sure you'll feel much better when its all done.

krazyaboutkatz
05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I sure hope that the extractions will help Amber. She's such a gorgeous cat.:) Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Killearn Kitties
05-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Aww, good luck, Amber precious! I hope these extractions sort your problems and you will be back and crunching in no time! :D

catcrazylady
05-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Poor Amber!:( There is nothing more miserable than a tooth ache. Bless her heart. I hope this fixes it all up and takes care of the problem.
We will be thinking of you Amber and prayers on the way that everything goes just fine and you feel like a new kitty!!:)

furrykidsmother
05-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I sympathize with you. All 4 of my kids have gum problems. We have been able to control with Clindamycin, but eventually they will all have to have cleanings and possible extractions. I hate to traumatize them and me so I too have been watching and waiting. We will think of you on Monday and hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

catmandu
05-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Poor Little Amber.John Hancock,had most,of His Teeth Pulled,and Michael,and The Princess,are toothless,basically,as well.They are praying,for Your Amber,that she is not,in pain,long,and her recovery time ,is quick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture122.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos680.jpg

smokey the elder
05-20-2005, 02:49 PM
It sounds like she has stomatitis, which is an allergy to her own teeth, basically. One of our rescue cats a couple of years ago had all his teeth out, and is doing fine gumming his food to death.

Good luck with Amber!

jenluckenbach
05-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Amber is just back from the dentist. This procedure was done at a rescue's clinic, so they sent her home to be with me tonight even though she is not even awake yet. She only had 3 teeth pulled. The vet said for the most part, the rest looked quite good. She may still get flare ups of the gums that will require steroids and/or antibiotics.

I hope she will be more comfortable now. We shall see.

She should be awake by tomorrow, and probably hungry.

They forgot to charge me ;) but I was told it should not be over $100. :D

catfamily
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm glad everything went well and it's over.I hope she feels so much better now:D

rg_girlca
05-23-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm glad that Amber is back home and I pray that she will feel better in the morning.:)

jazzcat
05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm glad she's home resting with you.

Wow, under $100 - that is great. When Disney broke her big tooth right before Christmas they cleaned her teeth and extracted 3 and the total was over $160. When Ripley's teeth were cleaned a few years ago it was well over $100 too.

krazyaboutkatz
05-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm glad to hear that Amber is now at home and resting comfortably.:) It sure sounds like you got a great deal.

kimlovescats
05-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Glad that Amber only had to lose 3 teeth, and that she is home and resting. Hope she feels much better from now on!;)

Barbara
05-24-2005, 07:25 AM
I hope Amber is better- I know how it is as both of my boys need dental cleanings, although it is not as bad as that auto-immune reaction must be.

Plus I hope they forget to charge you forever;)

catcrazylady
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm glad the procedure is over and Amber is resting. Hopefully this will make her feel all better.
{{{HUGS}}} Amber.

catmandu
05-24-2005, 04:13 PM
MOOSE,JJJ3,AND MICHAEL,ARE GOING,IN FOR A DENTAL CLEANING,NEXT MONDAY,AND I HOPE,THAT THEY SO AS WELL,AS THIER FRIEND AMBER,BUT THAT THEY LOSE NO MORE TEETH.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1165.jpg