PDA

View Full Version : Deer Head Chihuahuas And Applehead..

Chica
05-19-2005, 07:43 PM
When gidget the deer head chihuahua was seen on TV uttering spanish "Yo quiero Taco Bell." That breed skyrocketed!! Deer head chihuahuas are different from applehead chihuahuas. They are slight in bone leg feature, and have a flatter front to the skull. They have a longer snout and eyes that are wider apart. Applehead chihuahuas have a very round dome like skull, short snout and close set eyes. My Chica is a deer head.I also have seen some deer head chihuahuas at a pet expo last week-end in my city.

Here are some pic's of deerhead chihuahuas.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/f7367406.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/Chihuahua01.jpg

Here is Chica!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/chicapatio9mo.jpg

DID ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE DEERHEAD CHIHUAHUA?:confused:
THE AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB DOES NOT RECOGNIZE DEER HEAD CHIHUAHUAS AS THE TOP OF THE STANDARD. MOST REPUTABLE SHOW DOG BREEDERS DO NOT ASSOCIATE WITH THEM. HOWEVER THESE DOGS ARE ON THE RISE, AND MANY BREEDERS IN THE US HAVE DECIDED TO BREED THEM.
I'M GLAD I HAVE CHICA. SHE IS BRINDLE COLORING WHICH MAKES HER MORE DIFFERENT AND RARE.:Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/Antonio.jpg
HERE IS ANOTHER PIC OF A DEERHEAD CHI

KYS
05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Adorable. :)

k9krazee
05-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Chica is adorable!!! I LOVE her brindle markings!

Ginger's Mom
05-19-2005, 08:37 PM
No, I didn't know there were two types of chihuahuas. Chica is obviously a very special little girl.

Chica
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
THANK YOU. THE CHIHUAHUAS COME IN BOTH LONG HAIR AND SHORT HAIR TOO. :) CHICA IS A SHORT HAIR CHI.:)

luvofallhorses
05-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Cute :)

Ginger is a long hair. She is part rat terrier, too.

IRescue452
05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
My aunt has one applehead and one normal headed chi - I don't know what to call it because its not apple-like or deer-like it just looks like a normal puppy head. I like the deer heads because I think this was more what chis looked like before people started "refining" them. Your pup is adorable but I think I'd rather not have a breeding craze ruin another breed.

Suki Wingy
05-19-2005, 10:35 PM
I was wondering why chica did not have an applehead! She is very cute, although I don't think we should be breeding unregesterable dogs.

cocker_luva
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
i like the chis that r taller and stockier.

luckies4me
05-20-2005, 12:08 AM
My Pooka is a deer chihuahua. ;) She looks just like the taco bell dog...only older. :p

Giselle
05-20-2005, 12:15 AM
My question for you is, where those breeders breeding deer-heads reputable breeders?

My guess is probably No. I'm not a Chi person but my guess is that deerheads are probably shunned in the show ring. For one thing, the whole point of conformation is to preserve the breed as it once was/is. If the AKC does not recognize deerheads, then it is apparent that the Chihuahua Club of America does not believe deerheads represent a "true" Chihuahua.

The standard calls for a well domed head, and these would be your "appleheads". Thus, all "deerheaded" Chis will not win in the ring. You're absolutely right when you say reputable breeders will not breed for "deerheads" as they are not recognized in the standard. I'm sure if you buy a Chihuahua conformation book, there will be plenty of old black and white pictures showing the gradual 'refinement' of the breed and breed standard. Personally, I'd stay away from anyone declaring they have a rare headed Chi for sale.

NoahsMommy
05-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Deer Head Chihuahuas are my favorite...I just didn't know what they were called, so thank you!! :)

Chica sure is a cutie!!

petslover
05-20-2005, 06:12 AM
aww thats so cute! I absolutely love Chica and of course the first dog you put up there... cough cough, Tiger!! ;)

and Thanks for telling me about Deerheads too. I didn't know a thing about them until you told me! :)

Suki Wingy
05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Giselle sumedit up:)

lute
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
i knew about the deerhead.:) i think both the applehead and deerhead are realy cute!

luckies4me
05-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I think deerhead chi's look a lot more attractive and proportional that apple head chihuahuas. I can't stand when people create such itty bitty creatures and deform their faces. I feel really bad for some chihuahuas. :(

Chica
05-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Petslover- Tiger looks like a deerhead chihuahua more than an applehead. Tiger face looks like Chicas face.

Tiger is adorable!!!!:)

Chica
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Giselle-

I got Chica from a backyard breeder because I just wanted a pet.
I didn't know that Chica was a deerhead chihuahua until later.
Both of her parents were purebred chihuahuas. The deerhead chihuahua comes out of applehead litters, it is in the gene pool. So AKC only allows appleheads for show. But the deerheads are pure chihuahua.:confused: :) ;)

Suki Wingy
05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I know that was for Giselle but she sumed up my thoughts so I will reply to it also:
Our concern is that if you are not breeding to the exact standard for show to keep the gene pool then why breed when you can get a wonderful pet (actually my rescue is my soul and life) from a rescue? Also BYBers don't always to the health tests and things necisary. I am not saying Chica is bad or that the place you got her is dirty or unhealthy or irresponsible, just that the breeding of dogs for companionship seems unethical, so don't get me wrong here.:)

Giselle
05-20-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't agree with your way of thinking (buying from BYBs for pet dogs), but whatever floats your boat.

Like I said, I'm not a Chi person so I didn't/don't know if deerheads are produced from dome-headed Chis. However, I have no doubt at all that deerheads are purebreds! Never once did I say that ;)- just that reputable breeders will breed according to the standard and not whatever is the new 'craze'. I'll have to ask around about this whole "deerhead/applehead" matter...

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
I've always known about both. My Grandparents have a deer Chi but both of his parents were appleheads, it's almost impossible to get an entire litter of applehead Chis. Both always show up...

Chica
05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
ORANGUUTANGO-
YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT BOTH TYPES OF CHIHUAHUAS SHOWING UP IN A LITTER. I DID NOT REALIZE THAT CHICA WAS A DEERHEAD UNTIL SHE STARTED GROWING. I WAS A NOVICE ON CHIHUAHUAS. I JUST NEW I WANTED ONE FOR A PET. I WAS SEARCHING THE PAPERS, INTERNET ETC. THE ONES I FOUND ON THE INTERNET WERE SHOW QUALITY , OR ABUSED ANIMALS AT PET ADOPTION ETC. I WANTED TO START WITH MY FIRST CHI AS A PUPPY. I'M SORRY I DIDN'T FIND A PUPPY FROM A RESCUE, BUT I FOUND HER FROM A BACKYARD BREEDER IN THE NEWSPAPER AND WANTED TO MAKE HER MY PET.:) ;) :D

I DON'T TAKE OFENSE FROM ANYONE'S COMMENTS, OKAY!;)
THIS IS MY FIRST CHI AND SHE MAKES ME HAPPY.;) I LIKE THIS FORUM, AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANYONES COMMENTS. ;)
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR RESPONSES.;)