PDA

View Full Version : kitties on the paper round....

carole
05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Some of you will know I help my daughter do a small part of her paper round in the afternoons, mainly because I need the exercise, and because I love seeing all my new kitty friends in the neighbourhood.

Yesterday I got to meet and pat Pickles, a lovely semi-feral tortie, Coby a cute tabby boy, who sadly had been run over as a kitten before her owner adopted him, and is slighty brain -damaged because he has seizures, but he is super friendly and cute, and then Ebu a precious Burmese boy who had gone missing several weeks ago, kept going back the the owner's old house.

My favourite kitty is a rather cute long haired tabby cat. she is so cute and runs to meet me miaowing all the way, I had never quite figured out which house she belongs to, but talking to one of my neighbours who lives close by, found out her name is Angel, and she is an old kitty suffering from kidney failure, my heart dropped hearing that, and I felt sad knowing she probably won't be around that much longer.

She does not look particularly well looked after, she is very thin, but then after reading about kidney problems, I realise it could be because of her condition, the owners obviously don't groom her well , she often has big lumps of matted fur, which they just hack off, they do own two dogs which look in great health , so I could be mis-judging them, however my neighbour thinks the same, and say's I am sure if someone offered to take her they would give her up.

Yes I do wish I was in a position to do so, but sadly I am not, I wanted to maybe take a little food with me on my run to give her, my neighbour say's she is alway's starving and often feeds her a bit, I am very cautious about what I should feed her, due to her kidney problems and welcome advice, also am I wrong to do this,? I would only feed her food that would help her kidney's, nothing to make her worse.

The owner told my neighbour she was on her way out, but that was some months ago, I sure hope they are doing the best for this precious girl that they can, they look like they can afford to, but I have my doubts, she is just so pretty and sweet, I will try and get pics sometimes soon.

catmandu
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM
You could try Science Diet Senior,see if the Pet Food store,will give you sample bags.That way,it wont cost you anything.Try diiferent Sample Bags,like Royal Canin Senior,or some,of the different specialty brands,that they have ,like Go,Or Wellness.Bless You,for wanting,to help,that Poor Cat,you sound like a Nice Young Purrson,and The Found Cats,all MEEEOOOW For You.

RedHedd
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
If the cat has kidney problems you must not feed it extra protein. My Mishi has a weak kidney and is on a special low-protein prescription kidney diet food. And, yes, they do get kinda peaked looking. It may not be bad purrenting, but just the way cats with kidney problems look. Mishi sometimes looks thin and his fur looks all funky, even though he's on the right diet and gets regular grooming, it's just a fact of life dealing with kidney disease. We love them for as long as they're with us.

NoahsMommy
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
You're so sweet to be concerned with this kitty, Carole. ((hugs))

I would ask your local pet store about the senior cat foods, like Gary suggested. You might want to offer her water too, that'll help her kidneys.

Hugs,
Kelly

carole
05-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, I certainly don't want to feed someone else's cat the wrong thing, that would be tragic and I would be doing kitty no favour's at all.

I am not sure if I even should be giving her extra food, but I am told she is alway's starving from the other neighbour, she suspects they don't feed her well, but I am aware this could be the result of her kidney problems.

Kelly I just love her to bits, if I had the ability I would ask to have her in a heartbeat, but still I can do something to help her, give her lots of cuddles and love and some little extra tidbits for sure.

If she is not there I really miss her, sometimes I have not seen her for over two weeks, other times I see her everyday, funny thing is I go down this walkway and over the fence I would hear this funny noise, first I thought it was children, then I realised it was a kitty(,unusual miaow, she is part persian I think, but she does not have the squashed in face look,) which I could not see, but now I know it was Angel, because that is where she lives, she was talking to me, she certainly knows me well, soon as she see's me she come's running.

To be honest it is the best part of helping out with the paper run, seeing my little Angel, and the other kitties as well.

Killearn Kitties
05-20-2005, 08:16 AM
We had a hungry kitty, very like Angel in our road a couple of years ago. Benson belonged to one of my neighbours and was 15. He was battling with kidney failure in his last year and he just couldn't eat and drink enough to satisfy himself. I know he was well looked after at home, but when he had finished his own food and water, he then toured the other houses in our cul-de-sac that have cats, so he could eat their food too. He didn't have a magnet to get in our cat flap. He gained entry by the simple trick of hitting it till it broke!

I remember one night when my mum was over, she was getting the cats' dinner ready and Benson broke in the back door. He saw that mum was putting out food and jumped on the kitchen work top beside her. She lifted him down and couldn't believe how light he was (bear in mind she has a 20lb monster), really he was just skin and bone. They had decided that, so long as he was not in pain, that they would just keep him as comfortable as they could, for as long as possible. Albeit he was sometimes a little crabby, he did seem happy enough and enjoyed company.

I have a picture of him somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it. His coat had lost condition too.

carole
05-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes I do believe it is probably due to Angel's condition, and hopefully she is well looked after, I saw her yesterday, she did not spot me and was about to jump on a fence, I called her and she came running, got lots of cuddles, she seemed to want to cross the road to her home, so I picked her up and took her over there, where I Left her licking her long coat.

I read kitties with this condition often have loss of appetite or become very fussy, so was a little puzzled that she was always hungry.

She did look a little better yesterday, her coat is growing back where they had cut the matts out and she looks more healthy, but she is skin and bone under that big fluffy coat.