PDA

View Full Version : Will any nipple do?

Andy Mentzer
05-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Grace, our youngest, is 2 months old and insists on trying to nurse from our Rotweiler puppy, Harmon.As patient as she has been, can the little kitty with the razor like claws and vaccume mouth damage our 2 1/2month old puppy's nipples?:confused:

sylsyldoom
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
sorry, but i dont know for sure.

one suggestion i have is that is this continues than you should ask your vet and how to treat it.

tvt
06-23-2005, 04:56 AM
I don't think it would hurt the dog, if the dog doesn't mind it. It's very, very unusual, but I saw a kitten "nurse" off its tomcat daddy one time. The mama got killed and the kitten took to the tomcat. Explain that one! Surely it wouldn't hurt a female dog.

Lobodeb
06-23-2005, 12:52 PM
I was just contemplating on posting a very similar issue that I'm having with my 3 mo. old, Payton. He was fully weaned from his mommy, but now feels the need to nurse on my older male cat, Sammy. Sammy doesn't mind, but I do when I see Sammy's chest full of hickeys!

I even caught them in the act.

Andy Mentzer
06-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much for your resonse.Grace is now a healthy 18 weeks old and still doin the ol'" knead and suck".Our puppy, however ,is no longer the object of her latent vaccumal tendencies.Puppy-girl had to leave. She was attacking Grace and injured her, so she had to find other living arrangements.Back to Grace,...She'll nurse on about anything that moves,including her new little adopted brother,Harmon.He's about 4 weeks behind her and when she starts up the Hoover.... well it just freaks him out! She's unrelenting!I sure the hell hope she outgrows this annoying little thing she does,ya know? Any thoughts?.......Anybody? Heres some pics of the little furballs,we love um to death!:D

furrykidsmother
06-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Lobodeb, that picture is just priceless.

Andy, your two are adorable. Hopefully, it is something that she will outgrow.

Lobodeb
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Thank you. :)

tvt
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Lobodeb and Andy, your pictures are so cute!!!
You all leave them babies alone and let them suck! It's not hurting them, and they need that extra nurturing. Obviously they don't do it for nutritional value (there's no milk!), so they need the security they are feeling from it.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by furrykidsmother
Lobodeb, that picture is just priceless.

I must ditto that!!! Soooooo sweet!

may51380
06-23-2005, 03:31 PM
My cat Beth does the same thing. She is almost 5 yrs old and still does the nedding, sucking thing. I have given her a couple of old night shirts that have become her "suckies". There is one in every room of my home. As soon as she starts, I tell her " get your suckie" and sure enough she finds the closest one, drags it up in the couch/bed, puts it in my lap and goes to town with it. She usually only does this right before she falls asleep. I am still waiting for her to grow out of it.(don't think it is going to happen) But I figure if it makes her happy and she's not hurting anyone, it's okay with me. Good luck with your little sucker.:)