PDA

View Full Version : Why Precise Language Matters

Edwina's Secretary
05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
We have had many threads on here about the use of language. Here's an example of WHY it matters.

The California legislature passed a law regarding how computer professionals are paid. The intent was to mirror the federal law. They listed several skills of computer professionals. However, instead of writing "or" they wrote "and". Consequently... in order to qualify a person must perform ALL of the listed skills instead of just one.

Well...just change it, right? Not so easy! The legislature has many other things to consider, some people LIKE the way it is written and it is expensive to change once it has been published, (and difficult to admit a mistake) etc.

Just like "can" and "may" and all those others words often use interchangeably....it makes a difference!

lbaker
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I have Strunk & Whites "Elements of Style" right next to my dictionary at work. Although I've been writing and reading for years I STILL find the need to grab one or the other almost daily. Just for reassurance or clarification if for no other reason ;)

Randi
05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
The more english I read and write, the more I realize how little I know. However, I have noticed many Americans are writing than when others would use then.

I'm too sleepy to find more examples now. ;)

RedHedd
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Randi
The more english I read and write, the more I realize how little I know. However, I have noticed many Americans are writing than when others would use then.

I'm too sleepy to find more examples now. ;)
Oh don't get me started:

loose vs. lose
its vs. it's
their vs. there vs. they're
two vs. to vs. too
know vs. no
here vs. hear

ad infinitum

Edwina's Secretary
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
homophones...words pronounced alike but different in meaning or spelling!

lbaker
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Then there's Effect vs. Affect (that's when my Strunk & White comes in handy) :p

catnapper
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
One thing that REALLY gets me is the use of the word "of" instead of "have"

As in "I would of gone to the store..." instead of "I would have gone to the store" one is a preposition, the other a verb. how the two could be confused is beyond me. :confused:

K9soul
05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Randi

I mostly see the opposite, people using then when they should use than. "Harder then I thought" should be "Harder than I thought." "Five is more then three" should be "Five is more than three." "Then" usually is used to describe a sequence of events, meaning next or in addition: "I went to the store, then I went to the bank." "The day was hot, then it was rainy." Than is a conjunction, then is an adverb or adjective.

I really notice all those little grammatical particulars too, because I've edited (for the local paper), written, and transcribed for most of my working days. I think something is wrong when many people whose first language is not English speak and write it better than many native English speakers.

jennifert9
05-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Grammatical errors and spelling errors in business communications REALLY get my goat!! If I receive correspondence from a company with a spelling error, they will certainly not be getting MY business.
At my last company, I was in charge of the hiring of new employees. If I received a resume with spelling or punctuation errors, I didn't even look at it further..into the garbage it went. That may seem harsh but you have to assume that if they aren't even motivated enough to double and triple check their resume, which reflects on them, what type of effort are they going to put into work which reflects on the company...?
Have any of you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves?" I can't remember the author's name right now. It's a great read, very entertaining! :)

BTW, there is a store on the corner of my street called "the Trhift Shop." Needless to say, I haven't been in to browse;)

RICHARD
05-18-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm gonna post some emails I have gotten (JUST KIDDING!!!)
in the last few weeks.

Edwina's Sect.

YOU have to the characters in Sacramento, it's the only thing that keeps me from crying.