PDA

View Full Version : Am I a bad person?

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Does this make me a really bad person?

To cut a long story short, a relative of Warren’s went through a really bad patch a few years ago, with drugs etc. This eventually resulted in him being arrested for car theft, car hi-jacking, possession of a stolen firearm, and murder after a drug deal went bad. It was a female that he shot. We have heard that she was a real nightmare – selling drugs, pimping etc, but she did have a family (2 children). Basically there was a scuffle in a moving car, the gun went off and she was killed.

Now 3 years later, after many continuances, he will be having his final court appearance next month. Due to lost evidence, and witnesses not appearing in court, out of 81 original charges, he is down to one count each of car theft, possession of a stolen fire arm and murder.

The defence attorney seems to be confident that he can get the charges reduced to lesser charges, such as manslaughter, and get him off with either a short prison term or a suspended sentence, bearing in mind 3 years have already been served.

He has a wife who has supported him through this whole ordeal, and three lovely (although very emotionally mixed up) sons. He also became a reborn Christian whilst in jail, and wants to get on with his life (although I don’t know what his employment prospects will be like, with a serious prison record)

Everyone in the family is praying 24/7 for him to get out of jail, and I can understand why, but I can’t help thinking about the woman he killed. She may have been bad, but she also has a family, who will never see her again. How will they feel when “justice is served” and he goes back to his life and his family.

I know he is family, but I am finding it hard to get all excited at the prospect of him going free. Does this make me a bad person?

jazzcat
05-18-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't think you are a bad person. I'd feel the same way.

The fact is someone died at his hands and he needs to serve his time.

moosmom
05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
AllyCat'sMommy,

You are not a bad person! Bottom line is he did kill someone's mother and should serve time.

My biggest question is, WHY do people wait till they're behind bars before they find God???

LorraineO
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
AllyCat'sMommy,

My biggest question is, WHY do people wait till they're behind bars before they find God???

Because it looks good to the parole board,, otherwise God wouldnt enter into thier pathetic lives!!

RobiLee
05-18-2005, 01:19 PM
NO! You are not a bad person. This is a horrible situation and I feel sorry for everyone involved. If anything just the thought that you are worried about everyone involved your relatives and the victim's family tells me that you are a very caring person with a lot of heart.

Take care and I wish the best for all those involved.

Robin :)

King Spartacus
05-18-2005, 01:53 PM
No... you're not a bad person. Warrens relative did something bad... something VERY bad. OK... sometimes people get messed up in drugs, or alcohol for that matter, and hopefully there's someone who's strong enough to get to the "real" person, and drag them away from it... But no matter how you look at it... he did something VERY bad...

Since he's off drugs now, I'm sure he will pay for what he did for the rest of his life... maybe not in jail, but in his thoughts and dreams... if he doesn't, then he's not a very nice person... if he does pay, than maybe that is punishment enough... No matter how long he stays in jail, no matter how he feels, that woman will not be able to cuddle her kids, or see them grow up. She didn't get the chance to get off her drugs, and impove... but Warrens relative does! Hopefully he'll accept which ever time he'll recieve, and use his life for good.

You're a good person, thinking of the life that was lost... let's just hope Warrens relative does the same!

Edwina's Secretary
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
NO! I understand when people stand by their family and friends but I do think that should be tempered with regard for the victim and taking responsibility. If the shoe had been on the other foot...so to speak...how would they feel?

catnapper
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Sounds similar to my uncle. He had the same exact life -- only he never did commit murder. There were drugs, robberies, you name it. He ended up in jail (note to everyone: if you're going to rob a house, make sure its not a cop's house! :p) I remember writing to him while he was in jail, and being shocked at how poor his writing skills were. He was so badly hooked on drugs by junior high school that he cut half his classes, and dropped out in 10th grade. Anyhoo.... my uncle served time in jail while my grandmom raised his son. In jail he found God, found himself and when he got out he actaully DID make a life for himself and his son. He's now turned into Ward Cleaver! LOL. We can't believe how much he's changed.

Is it possible your brother in law really HAS changed, or is he one of the mutlitude who profess to have changed, only to get out and live life in the fast lane again? If you doubt his devotion to God and his changed way of thinking, then you are not a bad person. I myself would be thinking the same way. We got lucky with my uncle - statistics show that most often once they are out of jail, they fall back on old habits and forget the lessons they learned in jail.

He did take a life, regardles of whether she was an upstanding citizen or not, she was human and deserved to live to try to make her life better. I think it all hinges on his sincerity and determination to remain a changed man.

dukedogsmom
05-18-2005, 06:58 PM
No it doesn't! I cannot stand defense lawyers. For the most part, they are as scummy as the people they defend. And I'm a huge skeptic about "finding Jesus in prison". That has been used way too much and I'm sure the majority are just bsing the powers that be to get out of jail.