PDA

View Full Version : Kia was kicked by a horse

ramanth
05-18-2005, 10:51 AM
But she's okay. Nothing's broken, no iternal organ damage. Her right hindquarter took the brunt of the hit.

Yesterday evening, my friend had a small Mary Kay party (just me, her, and the Mary Kay lady :p ;) ) and Shawntell said I could bring Kia over.

So we let Kia run around outside until the MK lady showed up and we brought her inside.

Kia kept wanting to go out, so I'd excuse myself and let her out. The third time she was again out by the barn and out of sight behind the trees. She wasn't coming when I called for her and when I heard her bark/yip, I headed down the deck just as Kia came running up to me, tail wagging happily, tongue out, and doing a happy dance.

Not seeing anything wrong, I didn't worry.

I left her at my parents overnight and Dad called this morning saying Kia was not acting at all like herself. She was slow to go out and she sat on the deck in the rain refusing to come in. When Dad went to pick her up, she cried out and snapped at him.

So Dad met me at the vets and the vet said she can't fully extend the right rear leg outwards.

Kia's on an anti-inflammitory for the next few days. I hope she's learned her lesson.

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Poor Kia! I hope she starts feeling better. I had a horse step pn my foot, actually landed on my foot after it had rearred. So, I know how painful that can be!

Kiss to you, Kia!

luvofallhorses
05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Poor Kia ((((Kia))))) Get better soon, sweetheart!

lute
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
poor Kia. get better soon

Kfamr
05-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
I hope she's learned her lesson.

To *LISTEN* to mommy when she calls! :p

Poor Kia girl, I hope she's feeling better soon.

Glacier
05-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh, poor Kia! Hope she's feeling better soon.

Muskwa did the same thing last fall. Sounds like the same area too. He was stiff and sore for a couple weeks, but he was back to his usual self after that. I think he would still go snack in the horse corral given the opportunity, but the neighbor got a rottie who has no use for Muskwa!

What meds did Kia get? Muskwa got Rimadyl for ten days and Robaxcet for a week. The Robaxcet is a muscle relaxant. It made him much more comfortable. It also made him kinda dopey so keeping him quiet was easier!

LuckiLab03
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Hope she's feeling better soon, getting kicked by a horse must have traumatized the poor girl. Hopefully she DID learn her lesson and won't go near them again. Tell her horses are not toys and she can't scare mommy like that anymore!

Get plenty of rest Kia!

Bigyummydog
05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
:( poor KIA baby :( hope you feel better soon...XOXOXOXO

you wanna guess why MAXIMUS doesn't run out in the street anymore....i'll bet she learned a lesson....i'm so glad she's ok....

ramanth
05-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
What meds did Kia get? Muskwa got Rimadyl for ten days and Robaxcet for a week.
The name escapes me at the moment... it began with a 'd'. Duromaxx, or something like that, I think. It's a pill and she's to get half a pill everyday for 8 days.

Dixieland Dancer
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I hope she's feeling better soon.

anna_66
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh Kia you silly girl, should have come when mommy hollered for you;)
I hope your feeling better soon sweetie (hopefully all better by next weekend!).

animal_rescue
05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Poor girl, listen to your mommy next time!

cloverfdx
05-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Oh dear poor Kia :(, get well soon sweety {{Hugs}}. I hope Kia has learnt a lesson.

dukedogsmom
05-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Kia, girl, you've got to listen to your mom! I hope you're better very soon. Have you tried masssaging that area? It might help to get the stiffness out when she's a little less sore.

cyber-sibes
05-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Ouch! :( Poor baby-- maybe she just wanted to play with her own "my little pony"?

shais_mom
05-18-2005, 11:39 PM
:(
Poor Kia -
hugs to you lil girl - you have to feel better by next weekend!!! Altho you and Keegan could gimp together!!!

tikeyas_mom
05-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Thank god she is ok.
that could have killed her.
lucky kia, what would we do without you sweetheart.

nomore standing behind horses..
:eek:

get better soon kia :)

MariaM
05-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Poor Kia. Hope she gets better soon, and is not hindered by it!

Oggyflute
05-19-2005, 05:20 AM
I'm glad she's relatively OK, it could have been a lot worse.

ramanth
05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Talked to mom last night and she said Kia is trying to avoid the stairs but unfortunately has to go down a few to get to terra firma.

Going down isn't too bad, but then she'll refuse to come up and so my parents will have to lead her slowly up and she cries the whole time. :(

I hope the meds start kicking in.

Val, I tried rubbing it, but she doesn't want to be touched there.

I'll call home and she how she's doing this morning...

lizbud
05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh Kimmy, I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Kia.:( Even if there
were no broken bones, I'll bet there is one heck of a brused area.
If that were a human they would be demanding not only some
anti-inflammitories but mega pain pills for awhile. :) I do hope
her meds take effect quickly so her pain is lessened.

wolf_Q
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Poor Kia, hope she's feeling better soon!

sumbirdy
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I hope she feels better soon! Give her lots of love

ramanth
05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys.

Eh. I hope those meds are helping.

Mom said she can tell the leg is puffy. Kia still refuses to go up stairs on her own and needs to be helped (and cries as you are. :( :( :( )

Mom said she just can't seem to get comfortable. She can't lay on her back and fling her legs open wide like she used too.

Poor thing.

I hope she heals quickly.

lizbud
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Kimmy,

I do hope the medicine acts quickly & she doesn't have to be
in so much pain.I wish they could give her something stronger
at least for 24-36 hrs, if she is still in great pain tomorrow. It
would help Kia heal faster if she can at least rest in some comfort.

Please update on how she's doing later on.

Sudilar
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Get well quick, Kia!

ramanth
05-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I visited Kia last night and she seemed well. I took her out for a potty break and she was hesitant about the stairs, but with some coaxing she navigated them slowly and she didn't cry.

So I take that as a good sign. She laid around for the most part and wanted her belly rubbed, but she did grab a toy and wanted to play tug for awhile. :)

cloverfdx
05-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Oh no i hope the meds kick in fast, poor Kia.

{{Hugs}}

primabella
05-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Poor Kia.. hope she feels better soon. :)

Toby's my baby
05-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Maggie got kicked by my horse about 1 -2 months ago. She broke and dislocated her jaw. Her bottom lip was hanging off of her mouth. I hope Kia heals soon

Kfamr
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm glad there are some good signs she's getting better. Gentle {{HUGS}} to Kia. :)

ramanth
05-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Picked up Kia from my parents last night. She's a lot better than they originally let on. When I arrived, she was bouncing up and down the stairs excitedly. So I gather she's feeling better. :D

She has two days left of pills, so we'll finish them off just in case. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes.