PDA

View Full Version : Just to old..

slleipnir
01-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Can anyone tell me when a dog is in pain from old age? My dad thinks my older dog is in pain, but I don't seem to think so, maybe it's denial (sp?) He can jump up on the cough, and off, but he seems stiff. He seems happy, but is getting kinda stupid..I don't mean that in a mean way, just cause he's old and can't hear and stuff..doesn't really remember as much I guess..So can anyone tell me any signs to look for?? As much as I love him and want to keep him forever, I don't want him to be in pain :[ it's not fair to him. He's the 1st dog in my life, and he's always been around since i could remember, he's the sweetest dog, and I'll remember him forever, I know that his time is coming, and it makes me said to think that someday I won't see him again. I feel bad, cause when I got Jo, I kinda left him out sometimes. I know it's mean of me, but I was excited to have a new puppy and I had the responsibility of her only to myself where as Ruf is a family dog and didn't need the training. I wish I would have spent more time with him the last while. I can't even take him to the HS with me and Jo, he looks all sad cause we're going without him. He is kinda agressive to other dogs, and sometimes someone lets the dogs out the gate..if that were him he wouldn't be able to hear a car coming, and its on a busy road. I just worry to much.

lizbud
01-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, it's really kind of hard to say when a dog is "to old".
If he can jump up & down from the couch and you don't
hear any pain sounds from him. He's still okey. If he's
developed a hearing problem, then that's different. I
think people should make sure that he's looking at them
before they talk to him. This is kind of a sad time for you
to begin to think that he won'nt be with you forever...
I'm starting to feel the same way about my dog Buddy,
he has limping problems & I hate to think that he has to
have pain everyday, and that it could get worse...
Don't feel bad that Ruf may have been overlooked when
you got Josie, just try to give him a little extra pat or hug
every now & then.. Ruf knows that you love him !!!

Pam
01-29-2002, 09:35 PM
My dog Pumpkin lived to be 17. Towards the end of his life he had cataracts and was mostly deaf. I think he had arthritis too because he stopped lifting his leg and began squatting. Even so, he would follow me around everywhere. We brought a puppy into our home when Pumpkin was old and I think it sort of added a little excitement to his older years. Dogs do not forget the love they have received all their lives. I am sure Rufus knows you that love him. Try not to worry so much.

slleipnir
01-30-2002, 09:57 PM
I think Ruf is like that. He seems really stiff getting up to the couch. He kinda falls off it. I might take him to the vets, i think there is pills for arthritis or something..It's getting to the point where he can barly use his bowels right..if your not right there waiting for him to eat, he'll leave a mess. Thats not that bad I guess..does it mean anything other then he's old?