PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts for Laura & Alexa, Heartbreaking news about Dewey..

Kfamr
05-16-2005, 07:24 PM
UPDATE****
pLEASE VIEW THIS THREAD http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=79456
There's some hope for Dewey! Please send lots of thoughts their way!

Laura has asked me to post this for her.

After speaking with the vet, she's found out that their sweet Dewey has distemper. (http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/) Both her and the vet think it would be the best thing to let Dewey rest peacefully at the Rainbow Bridge. He is still there with Laura and Alexa isn't aware of the news yet.

Please think of the three of them in this saddening time. We all know how hard it is to let go of a beloved pet.

I'm very upset to hear this news. I know they both were beyond happy to have a canine friend in their little family... and how happy I was for them. I fell in love with Dewey in these past few days from Laura's posts and our chats on AIM together. I have bandanas picked out for him that I was going to send for him.
This is my most favorite picture she's posted of him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/grybai/IM002539.jpg
Laura & Alexa,
Hugs to you girls, please let me know if you need ANYTHING.. anything at all.

lizbud
05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
I am heartbroken to hear this tragic news.:( I am so very sorry.:(

GoldenRetrLuver
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Oh gosh.. how sad. :(

I'm so sorry, Laura and Alexa. How heartbreaking. :(

Ginger's Mom
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. They were so happy in just the short time they were together. Laura my thoughts are with you, Alexa and Dewey. :(

Jadapit
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Omg, that is heartbreaking!!!:( So much saddnes here on Pet Talk lately. My thoughts will be with them both.

chocolatepuppy
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh this is so sad. :( I'm so very sorry for you Laura and Alexa. Poor little Dewey will leave his pawprints on your hearts forever, no matter how short a time the three of you have spent together. I will keep all three of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Cincy'sMom
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
How crushing :(

As hard as it is for them, I'm glad Dewey got the chance to spend his far to short of time in a loving family.

petslover
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Dewey.. That breaks my heart. RIP Dewey

luvofallhorses
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I am heartbroken :( I am so sorry :( I don't know what to say. :( (((((((hugs to both of you)))))))))) I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

R.I.P. Sweet Dewey :(

NoahsMommy
05-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh no!!!!! :(

Laura and Alexa, I'm so sorry. This is horrible!!! :( :( :(

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Kelly

:( :( :(

k9krazee
05-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Oh no!! :(
I am so sorry!!!!
It was good that Dewey got to spend time with a family of his own :( :( ....this is very sad...

Glacier
05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
How terribly sad and unfair. Godspeed Dewey.

flamepony12
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm so sorry, Laura. :( Rest in Peace, Dewey... :(

jazzcat
05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
How terrible and sad. :( :(

I'm so sorry. Rest in Peace Dewey.

((HUGS)) for you Laura and Alexa.
:(

anna_66
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
This is so heartbreaking:( I know how much you two were falling for that sweet little cutie pie, we all were.
I wish I knew what to say but I'm just at a loss here...

Bigyummydog
05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
so sorry....:( :( :( :( :( furry hugs and soggy kisses to you all.....our thoughts are with you....

Tweety_Pie
05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm so sorry:(

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Dear Laura and Alexa ~

Words aren't much help in such sad times,
but please know we're all deeply saddened by your loss of
little Dewey - and send {{{Hugs}}} of Comfort.

God sometimes works in strange ways ...
Ways we mortals will never understand.

Possibly one of our Moms or GranMoms was lonley ...
and God chose Dewey to give Comfort to someone at The Bridge.

Take some comfort in knowing that you both gave Dewey a wonderful
and Loving Home during his too-brief stay with you,
one he'll always remember you for.

And now you two have your own, personal, FurAngel - watching
down on you from Above.
He'll be there - waiting at the Bridge - when you get there.

{{{Hugs}}}

/s/ :( Phred

Crikit
05-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Laura & Alexa I'm so sorry to hear about Dewey, but at least take comfort in the thought that you made his last days happy. You'll both be in my thoughts.

KYS
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Sending (((HUGS)))
To much sad news lately.
RIP sweet Dewey.

finn's mom
05-16-2005, 09:49 PM

trayi52
05-16-2005, 10:04 PM
So sorry to hear this news.:( It is just too soon. I wish you could have had more time, much more time, Laura and Alexa with that sweet Dewey.

May he rest in peace.:(

Willie

PJ's Mom
05-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh no. :(

You were all lucky to have shared each others love. There's no doubt, that he knew you loved him.

RIP Dewey. :(

BitsyNaceyDog
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Oh no. I'm so sorry. :(

Karen
05-16-2005, 10:45 PM
We are so sorry to hear this. When I was little, I thought distemper just meant the doggie was angry, and I thought love and biscuits could cure it. Now, sadly, I know that it is a disease that takes beloved pets away.

Dewey was blessed by your love these past few weeks, and he will see you again, meet you tail - whole long body - wagging, at the Rainbow Bridge some day.

You in turn, may be very heartsore right now, but will always hold his silly, sweet self in your hearts.

You'll be in our prayers.

On he came with dew-soft eyes
Heart-melters they were, and full of hope
And so he came, little paws, long body
Soft as dewfall into your hearts
Dewey he was named, aptly and true
And dewdrops fall now from our hearts and eyes
And on to the soft green grass at the Rainbow Bridge
Dewey goes to frolic and wait
For your happy reunion some day

K9karen
05-16-2005, 10:47 PM
So, so so sad. Know that you were so terribly loved during your short time here. Safe journey to the Bridge, Dewey. We'll never forget you.

shais_mom
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
how terrible =
I am so sorry girls...

LorraineO
05-17-2005, 05:36 AM
Oh dear,,, such a waste of good puppy,,,, So sorry this happened......

jenluckenbach
05-17-2005, 05:57 AM
{{{{{Laura & Alexa}}}}}

I am saddened by this tragic news. :(:( How very sad.

RIP Dewey. :(

delidog
05-17-2005, 06:14 AM
How Tragic!!
I am so sorry to hear this...
Please know that You & Dear,Sweet Dewey are in My Thoughts & Prayers....

Godspeed,Little Dewey

EssTer
05-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Oh no...how sad :( :( :(

((((((((HUGS)))))

robinh
05-17-2005, 07:32 AM
I am so sorry.

Daisy and Delilah
05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Thoughts and prayers for both of you. We are so very sorry to hear about the loss of this sweet little boy. He was loved so much before he departed. Rest in peace little man and play hard at the bridge:)

Love, Terry, Daisy, and Delilah

cloverfdx
05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Oh my what a shock :(. Laura, Alexa and lil Dewey you will all be in my thoughts.

{{Hugs}}

ramanth
05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Oh Laura and Alexa... my heart breaks for you. How so unfair. :( :(

*HUGS*

Logan
05-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I am so very sorry, Laura. :( Please express my sympathy to Alexa as well.

Rest in peace, Dewey.

gemini9961
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh this is dreadful news. Best wishes everyone and RIP Dewey. I was really liking him, this is so sad.

RobiLee
05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to Laura and Alexa. Thank you both for letting Dewey know a little bit of love.

Hugs for you both. :( :(

Fox-Gal
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Oh what sad news to hear. I am so so sorry to hear this, it breaks my heart. I can't even imagine how they both must be feeling.

HUGS to you both.

caseysmom
05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I am so sorry to hear this Laura and Alexa...you did your best but it wasn't meant to be for Dewy...bless you for rescuing him.

gini
05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Laura and Alexa, I am so sorry for your terrible loss. What a horrible thing for you both to have to face.

Yes, as Phred said, you do have a furangel now, who will watch over you and wait for you to be reunited someday.

In the meantime, please let me tell you how awful I feel that you have lost Dewey.

wolflady
05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Oh no!! :( I'm so sorry to hear about Dewey. He was with you for such a short time, and it's so unfair that he was diagnosed with this. :( It's not easy to lose a beloved furbaby...no matter how long they have lived with you. Please know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
**hugs**

eeyore1969
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm so sorry to here this .

jenfer
05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
I am so shocked to read this. I am so sorry Laura and Alexa. :(

RIP, Dewey.

Uabassoon
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. Dewey is still with us right now, but on Thurs we are going to put him to rest. We wanted a day where both Alexa and I didn't have to work so we could both be there with him. Right now he just sleeps all day, but when he does wake up he seems happy that we are there.

We just keep hoping that it's wrong and that when we wake up in the morning he's going to be all better. But we know that isn't going to happen. It's hard to look at him without crying. I didn't even get to know him. He's been sick almost the whole time we've had him. We never got to go to the park or play fetch outside or do any of those things.

There is also so much guilt, I feel horrible because I'm the one that wanted him and now Alexa has to also feel the heartache. Alexa feels guilt because she knew getting him would make me happy and now I just feel hurt.

We've called the shelter to let them know. They told us that they have had a very bad strain of kennel cough, however they can't afford to do bloodwork on them. If they look really ill then the animal will be put down. I'm worried that someone else will have to go through what I did. I know these dogs don't have kennel cough, it's something much worse. I don't want people to have false hope like I did. We kept thinking that he was going to get better, he was just having a hard time fighting it because he was so underweight. Now we know that wasn't the problem.

anna_66
05-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh Laura...
I've never known anyone dealing with distemper, isn't there anything the vet can do for him?
Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

caseysmom
05-17-2005, 02:18 PM
From all the reading I have done distemper sounds like it is very bad if they have symptoms like dewey has. the good thing from what I read is that it is not seen very often since immunizations...how sad ...

Please Laura and Alexa don't let this discourage you there are so many dogs needing a good home like yours. I got casey from a HORRIBLE shelter...she did have a parasite but luckily that was the worst of it.

Maybe if you get a 3 or 4 year old dog next time it will be better assurance??

LoudLou
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Laura & Alexa,

You are in our thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time.

We'll miss you Dewey man. Godspeed to the bridge.:(

4 Dog Mother
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
I am sorry that you have to go through this. It is so sad that you have had Dewey such a short time. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

lv4dogs
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh my I am so sorry. Hugs to you both.

God bless your soul for giving Dewey his forever home. Even though his time is limited at least he has found home. He is loved & he knows it.

ChrisH
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh, Laura and Alexa, I am so sorry. :( :(

{{big hugs}}
Chris

primabella
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
This is awful.. I could just tell from the few posts I saw regarding Dewey that he was very much loved and welcomed into his home, and I'm upset and so very sad to hear this news. :(

I will keep the three of you in my prayers. Godspeed Dewey. :(

Maryon
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Laura, my dear friend, I am so sad to hear this. I know you, Alexa and Dewey only had a little while together. But he was already sick, and he's so lucky that he had you and Alexa to make his last days special. Indy, John, and I all send you our warmest hugs (and we'll do so in person sometime very soon.) It sucks to have to put a loved one down, but as we all know, there's no point in prolonging their suffering. :(

All our love--M&I

sandragonfly
05-17-2005, 05:36 PM
...*chills* already....? :( :( you probably are sick of hearing "sorries" but here's my hugs for you..

dewey, have your happiest (at your best) be the last special days...thank god you're just a dog. you wouldn't need to know the day you're going to be gone and sadden, miss greatly by us!good bye little fella.. :(

Uabassoon
05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
A little while ago we got a call from a wonderful lady from the shelter. Earlier today Alexa called them to let them know about Dewey just so they could be aware. The lady from the shelter called the vet and spoke with him. She told Alexa that there is no way to be 100% sure on distemper without doing an autotopsy. She asked if we would be willing to take him to another vet for a second opinion. This was something both Alexa and I had discussed earlier. We still couldn't bring ourselves to call and make an appoitment for him to be put to sleep. The shelter is going to pay for us to see a different vet. We are still waiting for her to call us back and let us know when we will be taking him and where.

sandragonfly
05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
sorry if my last post was a little bit dishopeful... not until I saw the other thread --

I have fourteen goofballs here and just made sure they had their paws crossing! (for every, many mintues now) and even are willed to not able to walk, play with their paws crossing! :) they and I *praying* hard...hopefully the second vet will have a better news for you and alexa..especially our lovely little dewey!!!

CathyBogart
05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Fingers and paws crossed that the second vet has more options available for Dewey. *Hugs* for everyone, thank you for keeping us posted.

chrissycat21
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

You, Alexa, and Dewey will all be in our thoughts.

dukedogsmom
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. I know how happy Dewey made you both. I was so happy for you to know the joys of having a dog and I feel so bad that that joy has been taken away so soon. We're all here for you if you need us.

Kfamr
05-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Laura you know i'm hoping right along with you that distemper may be outruled.

Please give him som big hugs from the muttlies and I.

Ginger's Mom
05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
I am hoping and praying that you will get a better report from the second vet. I know that this is very hard for you. You and Alexa are very special people for going through so much for and with this sweet little boy. I hope things work out for all of you.

cyber-sibes
05-17-2005, 09:35 PM
At least by getting a second opinion you won't forever be second-guessing your decision, should the worst come to pass. And Dewey has gotten to experience your love and the comfort of your arms instead of lying sick in a little cage in the kennel. HUGS to all of you.

Oggyflute
05-18-2005, 02:25 AM
My heartfelt thoughts and wishes go out to you.

QueenScoopalot
05-18-2005, 06:26 AM
I'm hoping and praying that the second vet will be more optimistic about Dewey. It can be overcome, though it's not easy, but IV fluids, along with antibiotics does save a percentage of them...sure hope Dewey can get the help. :(