PDA

View Full Version : Help, please?

slleipnir
05-16-2005, 04:28 PM
My friends cat, Honey, got outside the other day. She is normally an indoor only cat. I guess her roommate let her out by mistake? I don't really know. Anyway, she is really upset about her, and really wants her to come back home. We went out looking for her, and we spotted her 3 times last night, and once today, but everytime she sees us, she runs off. She looks like she is really scared. I've seen her with Honey though, and I can tell that the cat really likes her, so I don't know why she's running away.

Any suggestions on how to catch her? She really wants her to come home!

luvofallhorses
05-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I would borrow a humane cat trap from the humane society if you can. I know how your friend feels, Tiger went missing for 4 days.
What a friend suggested to me is put canned tuna(with oil) or some smelly cat food(so she smells it) and litter in a box and of course with a bowl of water and another box with like a warm blanket and 2 things with her scent on it(tell her to rub it on her arm or something) and that would be a better chance to get her back. Put lost ads up around her neighborhood.

Tiger was in the area, so she is probably in the area. I will pray that her kitty comes home, I was heartbroken when Tiger went missing and I did everything I could. Sending lots of positive vibes to you and your friend that her kitty is found safe and sound. (((((hugs)))))

slleipnir
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, she did try Tuna, but there are like 880093993 outdoor cats in her area.

Also, we have seen her 4 times right next to her house, but we just can't get her back :( We have no idea why she is running away from us...or atleast my friend..

luvofallhorses
05-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Can you borrow a humane trap from the humane society?

moosmom
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Check the perimeter of the area. Under people's porches, basement of her house or apartment, etc.

When LilEli fell out of my living room window, I looked EVERYWHERE!! I tried trapping him for 5 days to no avail. Turns out he was living in a basement crawl space of my apartment building!!!

Good luck!!

Kfamr
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I have no suggestions for you, unfortunately, but I wish you and your friend much luck in finding her kitty. :(

slleipnir
05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
No, see, the problem is we can't CATCH her. We can find her, but she runs away.

I don't know if the HS has traps? I emailed them about it

catnapper
05-16-2005, 07:51 PM
The reason she's running is because she's scared. This happens when an indoor only cat gets outside. He/she's never been outside is is so freaked that he/she acts likes they don't recognise you.

Don't put out any food for like a day. Then put out something REALLY good. She'll come to you when she's REALLY hungry.

NoahsMommy
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
I agree with the others...the humane trap sounds like the only way you're going to get her.

Good luck! It has to be very frustrating for your friend. :(

slleipnir
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
What exactly is a humane society trap?? lol

Also, there are so many outdoor cats, I'm sure she finds food of theirs to eat. Plus, how would a trap work with so many cats?

I just hope she comes home soon!!

flamepony12
05-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Plus, how would a trap work with so many cats?

Hmm, I was going to suggest the same thing, but you have a point. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but I'll keep thinking. Good luck to you guys, I hope your friend finds her cat!

Cinder & Smoke
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Sleip ~

How CLOSE can you GET to her before she *spooks* and runs??

Both of you cary a Con of Oily Tuna and find her...
** then approache SLOWLY, but NOT so close she runs ...

** Speak SOFTLY and get her attention ...

** then DROP some Tuna bits in front of her - be sure she SEES them fall
. . . (Don't <THROW> the food AT her - she'll run!) Just DROP it!

** now BACK UP - WAAAY UP and away from her ...

Hopefully she'll investigate the smelly treat you dropped!

Just keep repeating - SMALL bits of food - you don't want to "fill her up"!

Good Luck!!

/s/ Phred

jesse_3
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
What exactly is a humane society trap??

This trap has a little lever/pedal inside a wire-mesh kennel cage, and once the animal you are trying to catch steps on this lever, it closes the door behind it, and it is next to impossible to get out of, if your caught inside!

I have only the same suggestion as most of the others, get a humane trap, but put it in your yard! I don't know if that will work much better, but atleast the kitty will know where she/he can get food, so maybe the kitty will stay around home. <HUGS> and the best of luck!

BitsyNaceyDog
05-17-2005, 07:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/KBlaix2/other/7065666.jpg

This is what a cat trap looks like. I've used one many times. Actually I caught 2 of my cats (Oliver and Raisin) with it. They were both strays living behind my work (at separate times) and I used a cat trap to catch them. My cat Jimmy was also caught in it. He was just a little tiny kitten, stuck under a bridge in a swampy area. My friend spotted him and sent her husband home to get her cat trap. They snapped dog leashes to it and lowered it into the swampy area (with tuna inside the trap). They caught the soaking wet 5 week old kitten in less than a minute. He was a little young to be getting tuna, but it did the trick and lured him in. She wrapped him in a towel and warmed him up (oh, I forgot to mention it was New Years day, so it was rather cold). Now that sad little kitten is my big healthy boy, Jimmy!

Good luck to you and your friend. I would defiantly try a cat trap, I've had good luck with them in the past.

slleipnir
05-17-2005, 08:27 PM
she's gonna see about a humane trap. (btw, I think I called it a humane society trap, but I ment to say humane from FROM the humane society but i got messed up..)

cloverfdx
05-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Oh no poor kitty, i hope you and your friend are able to catch the cat soon.

Please keep us updated Audrey.