PDA

View Full Version : Yes, they do purr! But why?

Randi
01-29-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm sure we all enjoy our cats purring - but do we know why they do it?

According to Mr. Desmond Morris (a writer) they are telling us that they are
NOT DANGEROUS AT THE MOMENT! :D

We probably all like to think that they do it, because they're having such a great time laying on us tame can openers - but NO! That's not the whole explanation. I'm sure it's part of it, but have you noticed that cats also purr when they're very sick?? Fister's mum purred loudly the day she died, but she was not even able to eat a delicious shrimp from Greenland! :(

Freckles
01-29-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm so pleased "search" is possible again.
Purrs (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4799)

wayne0214
01-29-2002, 08:14 PM
I always thought that they purred because of inner contentment. My kittens purr when they are being cuddled and rubbed. Snow Tiger used to purr immediately when he was first touched to pick him up. Now, that he is a little older, he doesn't do that any more.

............wayne

yumyum6970
02-01-2002, 12:28 PM
I am with Wayne here..My little Yum Yum PURRS all the time when she is in our laps. And she does it LOUDLY! :)

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

yorkster
02-03-2002, 04:50 PM
My cats purr when content too, but one of them will also purr-purr-purr at the vet.........and I know he is not content then! :eek:

topaz
02-03-2002, 05:11 PM
I have found that my cat also purrs when he is happy sad or hurt. Now this intruged me so I did some research and found the purring has nothing to do with being happy or as a way of telling your cat loves you. Purring actully takes place deep in the cats cheast tho it may fell like its comeing from its throat. Purring is a cats way of calming its self down. Many cats purr when giving birth when hurt and even when going to the vet:rolleyes:

wayne0214
02-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Topaz; it is good to have you on Pet Talk. Welcome!

OK , I learned something, as usual, on this post, from you about my cat's purring. Thanks for sharing with us.

..............wayne

wayne0214
02-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Topaz; it is good to have you on Pet Talk. Welcome!

OK , I learned something, as usual, on this post, from you about my cat's purring. Thanks for sharing with us.

..............wayne

Gepansy
02-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
Topaz; it is good to have you on Pet Talk.

Welcome Topaz!
I've often wondered why cats purr too.
My cat always purrs whenever she's happy.

Randi
02-04-2002, 03:43 AM
See also "Catlore" of Desmond Morris.

Publishers: Jonathan Cape Ltd. 1987 ;)