PDA

View Full Version : Any pet DUCKS out there????

Soapets
05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
We had a "foster" duckling at our house last night! My son was fishing at a local city pond yesterday, and noticed a tiny duckling swimming in the water, all alone, crying. There were several other duck families on the pond, but none claimed this little one. My son caught it, and when he told me about it I agreed to let him bring the poor little duckie home with us last night.

I looked up Wildlife Rescue organizations on the internet last night, and located a group in Lincoln, Nebraska. So I called the number listed, and got an answering service. They took my name and number, and said someone would get back to me this morning. My son spoke with the person who called this morning, and made arrangements for us to take the duckling to Lincoln to meet this person and turn it over to her.

We successfully transported the little duckling (my son named it "Petri"--pronounced Pee-tree) to Lincoln and turned it over to a member of the Wildlife Rescue Team. She said she has six other ducklings that she is taking care of, also, so this one should do fine. She called me this evening to let me know that she put it with two others that are about the same size and approximately the same age (only two or three days old!) and that it IS doing fine. I asked her what happens from here, and she says she will keep them until they are old enough to be released, and then she will release them at a recreational lake area called "Twin Lakes", near Lincoln. I sure hope the little duck does well, and grows up to live a long, happy life!

NoahsMommy
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Aww! How fun!!! :)

I used to have a duck when I was little, we named him Mallard. Wanna guess what kind of duck he was? ;)

When I was in high school, a friend and I went to a feed store and bought two ducklings! I'll never know why they let us buy them... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both of our parent's refused to let us keep them...they were WAY messy!! So, we found them a home...later we learned those people ATE them!!!!! I was so freaking mad!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sandragonfly
05-16-2005, 04:58 AM
posted by noahsmommy
So, we found them a home...later we learned those people ATE them!!!!! I was so freaking mad!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

*yeeks!* :( :mad: :(

...sigh...well, hey - great story! glad your son found this little helpless heart! I hope so too! for him to have a furreverrckling home. :)

someday...there will be some ducklings out there with me! I always get jealous thinking of this fuzzy movie, FLY AWAY HOME! as a little child, I remember I never got tired looking for duck eggs! thank god I didn't find any because I was very little... ;)

would you somehow know how this petri's going...?

Suki Wingy
05-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Mallard ducks are my alltime favorite bird- ever since I was one year old I have had a connection with ducks.
edit: Here is me at 2 or 3 yrs old trying to pet some mallards. I have some more pics somewhere where they are surrounding me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/sukiwingy/ducks.jpg

Fox-Gal
05-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Aww I glad everything worked out you the duck.

We have 2 pet ducks right now. Wobble, Quakers and Waddles. We've had them sense they where babies, except Wobble, we got her because she was injured by a wild animal and now only has one working foot. I love having pet ducks. Except when Quakers comes up behind me and goes QUACK. Quakers have a sense of humor I think, likes watching me jump, that or we just want food.

caseysmom
05-17-2005, 11:20 AM
We had a pet duck for about 8 months, he wandered into my husbands business and customers were trying to take him, my husband was afraid he would become dinner.

He lived in our pool and backyard happily, we bought him chicken feed from the feed store. I had intended to call the wildlife people and never did, I got attached to him. my dog and cat both loved Bob, sadly the neighbors dog got over in our yard and killed him, it was heartbreaking because we came home to find it happening, the vet wouldn't treat him, I had to wait till morning to take him to the wildlife people and he didn't make it through the night.

My neighbor had built a gate to pass between our yards and their daughter didn't close it good. I have since nailed it shut. It was heartbreaking. Bob was in love with my cat it was really funny.

Toby's my baby
05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I have a pet duck! His name is Gizzy, and he is just under a year old. We used to have Gizmo's sister ( Willow ) and two Mallards (Caesar, and Romeo) They sadly past away this winter :(

Here is a pic of Gizmo...

flamepony12
05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Aww, Gizmo's adorable :D

CagneyDog
05-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
[color=purple] fuzzy movie, FLY AWAY HOMEcolor]

Those were Geese weren't they?

Are you sure that duck didn't have a mom around?

Anyways, I hope the duckling will be okay.

Suki Wingy
05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Ooh. What breed of duck is Gizmo?

cocker_luva
05-22-2005, 10:04 PM
i dont have a pet duck, but every spring tons of ducks come to our neighborhood and lay their eggs. i can never have the patience to wait for the ducklings!