PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Tiny Tim...

Cookiebaker
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
I've been keeping an especial eye on T.T. for a few days, and now I'm downright concerned.

This is a picture of the day that I got him:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze81rs6/web/4902.JPG
And you see how the ends of his tail feathers are kinda stringy?? Well, now it is *LOTS* worse! :(

Also, he isn't really eating right. He takes a bite, chews it around and spits it back out. :(

Can anyone point me to a reputable website?? I'm thinking it might be tail rot, and got some generic antibiotic tonight and am going to try that. Any other suggestions?? (I don't really have any experience with something like this)

tikeyas_mom
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
If I were you i would treat him with a melafix medication. it is realy good stuff. you should be able to get it at any local petstore or walmart. use it to treat any fungal diseases/growths. he might have tail/fin rot.. i see it alot in bettas at my work, saddly enough. the fins will deteriorate till they are grossley infested with a fluffy, stringy, or a mossy look to them. Eventually if left untreated for long periods of time the fish will become lethargic, and will starve, or die from the fungus.

pluse melafix smells lovely ;)

LuvGold00
05-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Hello Again! (just replied to your other thread)

It's probably "Fin Rot." Although, I think he is a Crowntail betta, if it's getting worse I would head to PetCo and get some Maracyn, that seems to work great for everything! And they don't have it at the place you got Tiny Tim... Good luck, and let me know if you need more assistance. :)

EDIT: As a caution, I would not suggest using Melafix, It's been known to harm some betta's when not diluted. The reccomended dosage on the bottle is WAY to high for a betta, and most times could kill them. And it's a PAIN to dilute correctly! ;)

Cookiebaker
05-15-2005, 10:54 PM
I just got off my lazy duff and went down to see what I bought off the shelf.

I got Melafix because it says "rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds; promotes regrowth of damaged tissue and fins." I also got some aquarium salt because it "speeds disease recovery"

Do you think Maracyn is better/worse than Melafix?? I will try to get some asap. Thanks for your help. I'll try to get some pictures in the morning when it's light out so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the help! :)

Cookiebaker
05-15-2005, 10:55 PM
I just read your edit, Sunkissed, so I will definitly try and get the other! Thanks!!! :)

LuvGold00
05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I personally wouldn't use the Melafix, maybe you can return it. It's like 7 bucks, isn't it! :)

I would do a 100% water change and add some aquarium salt ASAP, that will help.

tikeyas_mom
05-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens

EDIT: As a caution, I would not suggest using Melafix, It's been known to harm some betta's when not diluted. The reccomended dosage on the bottle is WAY to high for a betta, and most times could kill them. And it's a PAIN to dilute correctly! ;)

Most Jungle, Hagen, and Wardley products do tend to suggest overdosing pets, with meds, and foods.
the reccomended dose of food for tropical fish is to feed several times a day,according to the back of the bottle... ... which is WAYY to much . :rolleyes:

They reccomend you to use more so they can make more money in the long run...

I would HIGHLY suggest to dilute any medication.

:)