PDA

View Full Version : Our cats come first in our budget! Do yours?

kimlovescats
05-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Just curious .... but do you buy things for your home, yourself, etc... only AFTER eveything you can possibly think of that your cat(s) need? We sure do! Yesterday we spent $150.00 on a new / larger A/C unit for our converted garage / kitty room. We're also trying to figure out some sort of water filtration system to put out there to keep their water cleaner. The little Petflow things just aren't big enough for our herd! :rolleyes: ;)

It's just funny, how we list things that "we" would like to get for the house, or whatever .. then instead we come home with cat things! Let's face it, our babies come first!;)

MULTICATMOM
05-15-2005, 01:54 PM
IT'S WIERD, I TAKE SO MUCH GRIEF/LIP OVER THAT!! I COULD BUY STUFF FOR HUMANS TIL I'M IN DEBT, THEY'D NEVER SAY A WORD... BUT LET ME BUY KITTY STUFF & I GET LIP:rolleyes:
LIKE I CARE, RIGHT?? I JUST BUY IT ANYWAY!! :D :D

christa
05-15-2005, 02:05 PM
*raises hand*

Right now, I'm considering buying one of those Ionic Breeze air purifiers . . .

For Josie's asthma, of course!

Just 400 to 600 bucks! That's all! LOL

RedHedd
05-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Count me in too. I bought some new pillows for the living room yesterday, but I had to hem and haw and debate with myself as to whether or not the CATS would like them first, before I bought them. The jury is still out as to whether or not they like them as they're in THEIR sleeping spaces! Mishi is curled up next to one right now; Mitzi prefers the couch-top. :rolleyes:

furrykidsmother
05-15-2005, 03:28 PM
I am with you. I pick out all the fancy special food they like then decide on chicken or hamburg for us. We have kitty condo's in every room, but we haven't bought a new mattress or boxspring in years! Kids come first!!

NoahsMommy
05-15-2005, 03:29 PM
YES!!!

I'll eat mac n cheese for a week before my cats go without anything they need!

;)

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, my furkids have always come first. They're very spoiled and thats the way it should be.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Guilty in first degree..... ;)
I think all true pet-friends are like this... .

rg_girlca
05-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Guilty here also.

I will run out and buy more cat food if I notice I am low on it, but if the guys have nothing for their lunches, I tell them, "Buy something at the store, I'll do groceries tomorrow if I have time."

catnapper
05-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Guilty. They always eat their good food, while we are living on scrambled eggs, PB&J, and Kraft mac-n-cheese.

catmandu
05-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I will go,to the bargain section,and buy,the reduced items,for myself,while I would never buy,the Grocery Level Cat Food,for the Found Cats.It has,to be the Sciemce Diet,or the main food,for them,the Nutro Max Complete Care Indoor,or the Eukanuba.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture332.jpg

chocolatepuppy
05-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Guilty! :o While my cats, thank goodness, have been generally healthy, my dogs have cost me a fortune in medical bills. And the dogs needed a fence, of course. ;) I do tend to spend more in Walmart than Petsmart but of course half of the stuff I buy in Walmart is for them! Like I always say, who needs new carpet anyways? :rolleyes:

rosethecopycat
05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I think I made a good trade off in order to be able to foster cats.

I gave up what little budget there was for clothing. (no I'm not sitting here neked)

I buy all my clothes at thrift stores, (and I can get anything I want in there, no limit!) apart from underwear. :eek:

Don't tell my husband I would have probably shopped there anyway.

Still, it feeds a lot of cats.

jenluckenbach
05-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Let me think.......

the cats go to the vet REGULARLY. I go to the dr. ONLY if I am terminal. ;)

The cat food shelf is NEVER empty......the refridge on the other hand........ :eek:

Generic brand foods for me, VETERINARY grade food for them. :o

2nd hand, yard sale or freebie furniture for me (except for our mattress) and MULTIPLE cat trees/condos/scratchers for them.

so I'd have to say. NO, I am more important than any silly cat. ;) (LOL)

MULTICATMOM
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
DID YOU SEE PARKER? MOOSMOMS NEW RESCUE. VERY BEAUTIFUL, PART TORTIE MEEZER.
ANYWAY, BACK TO THE SUBJECT, MY CATS WILL ONLY EAT HUMAN FOOD OR PURINA INDOOR FORMULA... FRISKIES, CAT CHOW OR EVEN PURINA 1, FORGET IT... VEGGIES, YES--FRUIT, NO...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I TRIED TO TELL YA KIM, THEY'RE SPOILED BRAT CATS:D

trayi52
05-15-2005, 10:16 PM
My cats and dogs come before me. LOL, then I come second, or third, or fourth, or somewhere way down the list!

Willie:)

kimlovescats
05-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone! LOL!!!
Now, if I can just convince my hubby that the CATS need the carpet pulled up and laminate put down!:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Soapets
05-15-2005, 10:44 PM
My kitties and doggies DEFINITELY come first!:D My son complained last week because we went to Wal-Mart and I spent $95.00, and MOST of it was for our cats and dogs!:D He wanted a new fishing reel, and I told him "no" and when he asked why I spent so much on the pets, I told him it was because they were so little, and cute, and innocent, and appreciative, and loving, etc. I told him I USED TO BE the same way with him, but he outgrew that stage, whereas the pets NEVER will!:D

kimlovescats
05-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Soapets
My kitties and doggies DEFINITELY come first!:D My son complained last week because we went to Wal-Mart and I spent $95.00, and MOST of it was for our cats and dogs!:D He wanted a new fishing reel, and I told him "no" and when he asked why I spent so much on the pets, I told him it was because they were so little, and cute, and innocent, and appreciative, and loving, etc. I told him I USED TO BE the same way with him, but he outgrew that stage, whereas the pets NEVER will!:D

Isn't THAT the truth! They appreciate and they don't whine and always expect more and bigger and better!:rolleyes: ;)

sandragonfly
05-16-2005, 01:40 AM
:o oh, absolutely kim!!

everytime I needed to go to grocery; I go down on this street but in next minute, I'm on different street to 'pet'ocery! too excitied to not stop thinking what to get for my animals...this is my 'good' habit...! :o :D

I rather spoiling my animals to my empty regfrigator :o :o I often forgot to or can't eat before my dears! :o :o I just don't know how to spend things on myself... :rolleyes: ...and glad to know it's not just me. :)

Kirsten
05-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Oh yes, I think my cats come first! :) When I was unemployed last year, I lived on spaghetti, but they girls got their Hill's! ;)

And if I plan to buy things for myself, I first make sure that they're cat-proof and safe for them. :)

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
05-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats

Now, if I can just convince my hubby that the CATS need the carpet pulled up and laminate put down!:eek: :rolleyes: ;)
Oh, but they DO. :D:D:D

catlover4ever
05-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Yes, I have to say that my babies certainly come first in our budget. With building the new house I have already budgeted in money for a nice sized enclosure for the babies. I really want to be able to let Gracie and Gabriel be able to go outside and enjoy all the things that their brothers and sisters enjoy in life, so hopefully sometime next spring Mark and I will be putting up the enclosure so the monkeys can go outside and I can feel good knowing that they will be safe out there.

Yesterday was a very muggy day in CT so we opened the windows to get some air in the house and poor Gracie and Gabe wanted really bad to get up into the windows but just could not reach so Mark and I are going to get some kitty furniture that are steps so they will be able to reach the windows in the new house.

sirrahbed
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
guilty:o

But why not??:D It makes me happy to bring things home for them and happy to watch them play or enjoy what they are eating. I am happy to see them healthy and beautiful. They are my kids, afterall!! I really do not need much and like some others - I think thrift stores are wonderful!!!:D :D

Hubby does the same though he won't admit it. We were at the grovery yesterday and HE is the one who stopped at the pet section and decided the *grand dogs* needed some new bright tennis balls to play with in the backyard when they come visiting:D :D

rkidsrcats
05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah, the Tribe and Samson are foremost in our minds when it comes to the budget. And considerations for house renovations. We want to pull the carpets & put down bamboo flooring - cooler and better for the "kids" in summer, we will most likely put in central air (mostly not needed in our area of the country, but Tiger has chronic URI and if it gets really warm in the house, he has a hard time breathing and then gets sick....AND I want a huge sunroom/4 season room...with climbers and high places for the kids of course!
Hey, its better than having to save to send them to Princeton, Harvard or Yale!:D :D :eek:

moosmom
05-16-2005, 09:32 AM
MULTICATMOM,

Boy does THAT hit close to home!!! My cats absolutely come first in my budget!! I could eat cereal for a week, yet my cats always have a quality brand cat food and canned food as well, not to mention filtered water. They're my babies!

smokey the elder
05-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Gulity.:p I spend more on vet bills than my dr. bills! Especially if someone needs surgery or something. Even shots for 7 adds up. My cats ate better than I did when I was unemployed a couple of times.

Sus
05-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Guilty!:) :) - Even at the time when I was still in the claws of King Alcohol with a drinking problem:eek: :eek: I always bought whatever was needed for my cats (I had two at the time) before I went to buy booze for myself....:rolleyes:

Love,
Sus and the Bellacat

Fox-Gal
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Lets see........

I haven't been to a Dr. sense 1997, for a check up.......Pets have, all the time!

We haven't repaired all our hurricane damage to the home/room, as of yet........Pets damage homes...Fixed and added on to.

We took out the carpet and put in tile floors, few year back, why.....for the pets.

I sold my small 2 seater car I loved, to by a SUV, why? So the pets have room.

I haven't taken a vacation in years, which I use to do every year, before the Zoo grew.

I was a clothes shopper, always had to have something new......now I have the same clothes from 3/4 years ago, some even longer.

Re-fenced the property, 5 acres, so each pets is happier, safer etc.

I can live on budge food......Pets, no way will I feed them budge food.

Nope pets don't come first........I do can't you tell. :p ;) ;)

I say pets, because in my case, it's not just cats, it all.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, I will admit to paying bills first so the cats can have a roof over their heads, a warm place to live, water to drink and the like. When it comes to groceries and supplies however, they get theirs first and I live on any money that's left. :D

Catsnclay
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
I remember the year that we got Yoshi, we *fostered* him first, so we got him at 3-6 weeks old and he was a tiny little white rat! :D We were going to go out Christmas shopping but I first had to deliver some pottery in Scottsdale. Right next to the store was a cat store. Mind you Scottsdale AZ is a BIG time tourist trap and everything out there is way over priced. :eek: :rolleyes:

We walk into the cat shop and there it was, a big huge panda bear lying on its back, so the tummy was the cat bed. Tim looked at me and I knew that he wanted that bed for Yoshi. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: To this day he still sleeps in it at night, that is HIS bed!! :D

When Lucky was going through his medical problems a few years back, we never told our family or friends how much we spent on his medical bills............they already think we are nuts!! The whole ordeal cost us over $8,000.00 :eek: but we would do it again in a heartbeat if we had to...........my Lucky is alive and doing well today!! :D

Fox-Gal
05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay

When Lucky was going through his medical problems a few years back, we never told our family or friends how much we spent on his medical bills............they already think we are nuts!! The whole ordeal cost us over $8,000.00 :eek: but we would do it again in a heartbeat if we had to...........my Lucky is alive and doing well today!! :D

Your not nuts, even though we didn't spend that much, we did spend a little over $2000 for Tiger's sex change operation. (That's what my husband calls it, is was a little more then that.) Friends thought we where nuts too, but when the vet says you have 2 choices and one is to put him to sleep.....You have to pick the other choice. The words put him down, just could not come out of my mouth, the words will you take payments did. :D

Don Juan's mom
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh, yes. I'm only intermittently employed. I'm having Cup Noodles for lunch today. And I'm going to stop at the pet supply store in Palo Alto today to stock up on litter :rolleyes: (cheaper than anywhere else in the area) and a $1 peacock feather. :D

Plus, I'm now thinking that a little water fountain would help encourage Don Juan and Zerlina to drink all the water they need when the weather gets hot. :)

But... there was that time last night when Don Juan was draped across my lap catching some ZZZZs, and Zerlina climbed into my arms and let me hold her "baby style" and rub her tummy, all the while purring like a very small Mack truck. :D :D :D

My furry therapists!

Liz