PDA

View Full Version : new cat

tootsie21
05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone,i have just got a cat off someone today.He is 2 yrs old and hes a gorgeous long haired ginger tom called Colin.I have another gorgeous cat called Zena who is 2 yrs old aswell.Up to now they are ok with eachother,they keep having a sniff about eachother lol.What i want to ask is,does anyone have any idea how long i should keep colin in before he starts going out ?? I was thinking of a couple of weeks cos i dont want him to run away,and shall i keep Zena in with him so they can get closer :confused:

catmandu
05-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I would keep Clin,indoors,especially,if he is not neutered,as he will roam,nd may well,be hurt,or killed,by Cars,Dogs,or Sadists!That way,you will know,that Your Cats are safe,as milk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture156.jpg

kimlovescats
05-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I believe really all kitties should be kept indoors. However, if you have a safe fenced area, or cat run outdoors, that would be great as well! Congrats on your new kitty, and good luck!;)

momcat
05-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Congratulations on your new furry bundle of joy!!! Was Colin an outdoor cat before you adopted him? He would probobly be safer if he's kept inside with his playmate. Before you make this decision, please make sure that he's up to date with all his shots if he'll be going out. Maybe a talk with your vet will help answer your question. Tummy rubs from me to your new fuzzy buddy!!!!!

RedHedd
05-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! First do a search here to see how others have introduced a new cat to a resident cat. It's prudent to take it slow - keep them separated for the first few weeks, letting them have short supervised visits. Swap scents by rubbing a towel on each cat and letting them smell the scent of the other. That way they get used to the new cat. It takes time so be patient.

tootsie21
05-15-2005, 02:33 PM
this is Colin and Zena.Colin is ginger one and hes been neutered and he was a cat that used to go out as does zena,but i only let her out for a couple of hours a day.

tootsie21
05-15-2005, 02:41 PM
this is Colin he is neutered and he is used to going out

tootsie21
05-15-2005, 02:44 PM
this is Zena,isnt she pretty

tootsie21
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
ooops pics too big lol :mad:

krazyaboutkatz
05-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Welcome to PT and congrats on your new furkid!!!:D They're both gorgeous. I also prefer to keep mine indoors only because it's unsafe for them to go outside.

catnapper
05-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Welcome to PT! I see that you are from England -- a lot of us are from the US or Canada and feel that lettign a cat out is risky business. I know we have many European posters here that might help you with a time frame for letting your new kitty out.