PDA

View Full Version : How many YEARS has this cat gone without grooming?

jenluckenbach
05-14-2005, 02:23 PM
As you know, I work as a pet groomer. Today, just when I thought I had seen them as bad as they come, in comes a man with a 17 year old cat.............matted worse than I have ever seen. No, I do not take my camera to work, but I did bring home 2 of the worst mats to photograph and show you.
The mats actually stood at least 3 inches straight up away from the body. All down his back hung the largest. The rest of him, belly, chest, and even the legs, was a swarm of small to medium mats with little space between them.
AND to make it worse, the elderly cat was nothing more than skin over bones. :(
Was he hoping the cat would DIE beofre he needed to bring him to the groomer?? :mad:

here are the 2 mats sitting on my computer monitor. The direction they are sitting is how they were sitting on the cat's back.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid168/pa53306b9f7bbfd7cb6c007f7f91389c4/f41f6f92.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid168/p873073c4c02be8ba95d05e3edff8914e/f41f6f96.jpg

and here they are sitting on Amber's back for size comparison. (they are laying ACROSS Amber, but they were running DOWN along my client's spine)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid168/p87d9e91b717431f480a2ef3ff379f563/f41f6f93.jpg

How sad (and infuriating) is that?!?

Mad Mags Moo
05-14-2005, 02:26 PM
OMG! Jen......that is awful...did the owner not feel embarassed about this and what about the poor cat.....how on earth did you groom the poor bugger...was it hard to do?:(

jenluckenbach
05-14-2005, 02:31 PM
was it hard to do?
:eek: It was very difficult, and tedious. Cat's skin can cut SUPER easy. Thin cats are harder because their skin tends to fold. And matted cats are harder still because the matted hair pulls the skin up away from the body. So just imagine! I actually needed to use a surgical blade (the shortest one available) to be able to remove some of the mats without causing damage. :(

The cat was so good. he tried to behave himself. I simply can't get over it!

catmandu
05-14-2005, 02:36 PM
maybe,the Fellow found the Cat,and the Poor Cat,was like that.I would hate,to think,of someone,that would allow a Cat,to get,in that horrible condition.At leasdt,I bet that is one Cat,that feels a whole lot better,now,than when he came,into you,for help.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1184.jpg

Randi
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh Jen, that is SO sad! :( How could this person leave it that long! :confused: Did you ask?

I'm glad this cat ended up with YOU grooming. :)

jenluckenbach
05-14-2005, 02:54 PM
How could this person leave it that long! Did you ask?
On No. I never ask. People just get defensive and pick up and leave. And how would that help the pet? I just said. "Oh my!" and went on to explain what I would have to do. There are a few people I would like to turn over to the humane society, but..... That is not my place. After all, they are here trying to remedy the situation. It is hard sometimes, holding one's tongue.

Craftlady
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Oh my, maybe with this new client you could offer him a discounted rate to bring the kitty in more often? Thankfully, he finally brought this kitty in to you.

MULTICATMOM
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
POOR KITTY:( THAT HAD TO HURT...& HE WAS STILL A GOOD BOY:cool:

catnapper
05-14-2005, 03:02 PM
How sad. Perhaps it was not his cat, but one he rescued from a friend himself? At least I'd like to hope and think thats what happened. Poor cat. I'd like to see how he'd feel to have years and years of untamed hair knotting all over the place :mad:

jenluckenbach
05-14-2005, 03:04 PM
People can easily tell you anything. It may not have been his cat, I did not ask, but SOMEONE let it get that way!

Kirsten
05-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Poor kitty! :( :( How sad! :(

I'm afraid this fellow doesn't live a happy life... :( :( :(

Kirsten

rg_girlca
05-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh Jen, that is horrible. How very sad.

I bet that precious kitty felt a lot better once you were finished with him.

momcat
05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Oh wow! That poor cat must have been in absolute agony until finding you! How is kitty? Did she go back to who brought her in? Kitty was so lucky to receive your loving care! If you see kitty again or hear some news as to her health and care, please let us know?

PayItForward
05-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Jen,

I understand that you don't want to upset this guy but having groomed his cat, I would ring amd ask your local rscpa to look into the cat situation, I'm sure you can report a worrying situation without revealing your name.

If it turns out the cat was a rescue cat no damage done but if the owner can not cope (a more likely scenerio) then they will rehome the cat to a better home.

If I had to take such a badly matted cat to the vets, I would be very sure to explain why the cat was in such a state !!!

jenluckenbach
05-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Jen,

I understand that you don't want to upset this guy but having groomed his cat, I would ring amd ask your local rscpa to look into the cat situation, I'm sure you can report a worrying situation without revealing your name.

If it turns out the cat was a rescue cat no damage done but if the owner can not cope (a more likely scenerio) then they will rehome the cat to a better home.

If I had to take such a badly matted cat to the vets, I would be very sure to explain why the cat was in such a state !!!
I know in my heart that you are correct. But we at the grooming shop discussed this possibility. and in this case, with a cat of 17 years of age, it would more than likely simply be put to sleep. I am not sure I could live knowing that. :(

Sus
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
It's awful. What a dope! Poor kitty.:(

I've seen that before - on my mother's neighbour's cat. My mother and I actually called the local vet who is also the local representative of the danish society for the prevention of cruelty to animals. I think he contacted my mother's neighbour afterwards. The poor animal was encapsulated in a barrel of fur. He couldn't stretch and he could hardly eat. I've never seen anything like it.

I really dislike people who neglect their animals.:mad:

Love,
Sus and the Bellacat

jenluckenbach
05-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Would you all like to hear the REAL kick in the pants???

:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

These people had the nerve to call today and COMPLAIN that the cat wasn't eating or walking right. WELL, I probably hasn't been eating right in YEARS (it was a skeleton) and it is probably in such SHOCK from having those mats removed (and most likely off balance due to the weight shift) no wonder it can't walk right!

That person is lucky that I did not get her call or her ears would STILL be burning! :mad:

catnapper
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
You've got to be kidding! :eek: What did the person say who answered the phone?

It never fails to amaze me how stupid people can be

momcat
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi! I just read your update, "Kick in the Pants". Talk about NERVE!!!!! After what they put that poor cat through for who knows how long and they complain like YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG? I hope that whoever took the call gave it to them with both barrels, reloaded then gave it to them again. That poor, neglected, abused kitty needs a new home! These idiots need to be reported for animal abuse!!!!! Unfortunately, being a raving jerk isn't against the law (although maybe sometimes it should be). Just when you thought you heard it all... this one surley takes it! Bless you for helping.

LauraT7
05-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I have an idea -

Lets take the owners, twist them into odd positions, duct tape their feet and hands together, and let them live like that for years, trying to feed and care for themselves.....

then, after 10 or 15 yrs have passed, lets remove the tape and see if they still remember how to walk and eat ?

Oh, sorry - I guess that would be ABUSIVE?

poor kitty.... he's probably having a hard time balancing and no doubt he's a little scared and actually stiff & uncomfortable a bit, finally being able to move limbs he couldn't move before!

It must be really tough to be in your position as a groomer.... Knowing this and unable to do much about it ..... I understand why.... but it's STILL hard.

laura

Maryon
05-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
The cat was so good. he tried to behave himself. I simply can't get over it!

He knew you were helping him. Poor dear. No cat (or animal) should have to go through that.
--M

momcat
05-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Lots and lots of prayers being sent for that kitty's health and well being.

rosethecopycat
05-18-2005, 09:15 PM
I wasn't sure what I was looking at in the pictures...
I thought that was the cat, I was looking for a head.:rolleyes: :confused:

I've never really seen a matt, since I have only ever had short hairs.

jenluckenbach
05-19-2005, 04:56 AM
I've never really seen a matt, since I have only ever had short hairs.
Rose, this was a short haired cat! :eek:

lady_zana
05-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I know in my heart that you are correct. But we at the grooming shop discussed this possibility. and in this case, with a cat of 17 years of age, it would more than likely simply be put to sleep. I am not sure I could live knowing that. :(

Could it be possible that you or one of the other groomers could take the kitty in for a while as a foster? Perhaps if the shelter knew it would have a good home until they could find it a permant place they wouldn't be so quick to put it to sleep.

It's a shame what happened to that kitty and it's a shame that most shelters simply don't have the resources and money to help every animal so older ones are often shoved aside. Is there anything we can do to help? I don't know what I can do but all you need to do is ask and I will do my best to help the poor creature.

Barbara
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I am sure this poor cat could not walk for the last years!

I may have told you that once my friend Angie was called by another friend of hers. That friend had agreed to take care of a neighbor's cat while the neighbor was away and found him totally matted- not able to walk etc. So she called Angie for help because she didn't know what to do.

And Angie stole the cat and refused to give it back:D Kaiser, a black Persian who gets a lion cut every spring is living with her for years now- together with his Aby sister:)