PDA

View Full Version : Nail Trimming Nightmare

ramanth
01-28-2002, 02:33 PM
I guess this could be viewed as somewhat humorous..... I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

Around July, I took Kia to the vet to have her nails trimmed. It never said on her adoption sheet if she liked this or not. I let the vet tech know this. My normal vet was on vacation at the time.

Well let me just say that Kia thought it was the end of the world.

I decided I'd let Michael take her on her next visit since he's obviously stronger than I. So around November (her claws don't seem to grow that fast), I took her in for a visit about her allergies when the vet mentions she should get her nails trimmed again.

I sorta laugh and explain that I'd rather have Michael bring her in because she needs to be held down.

The vet looks at me like I'm nuts and says, "She'll be fine. I'll have the tech help me."

I'm thinking, 'Good luck.'

They take her to a back room where I can't see her... but I can hear her.

"AAARRRROOOOOOOOOO"
"Kia, it's okay.. shhhh shhh"
"AAAARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOO" *skitter, skitter* (Her claws on the metal table)
"No.. wait.. no.. hold her there.... no..... Kia come back... " *skitter, skitter*
"AARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO"
"I can't hold her doc."
"AAAAARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
ect. ect.....

An HOUR later, I hear *crash! bang! skitter, skitter* "Kia! Come!"

Kia comes tearing around the corner and buries her head in my lap.

The vet comes into the examining room. He had actually broken a sweat. He clears his throat while I try not have the "I told you so" look. ;) ;p

"Yes... well... it seems you were right. She definately has some anxiety issues when it comes to having her nails trimmed."

'Duh... ya think?' ;)

So he gave me some sedatives to give her an hour before I take her to have her nails trimmed.

If we go to the vet for anything else she's an absolute angel. The temperature taking she doesn't care for much.... but with treats, she's cool.

slleipnir
01-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Aww poor Kia, Jo is like that, but not with nails. When I was at the vet clinic, there was a dog so afraid of getting it's nails done. I think they can get REALLY stressed from it too :[ Anyway, Jo HATES the vets now. She growls at them the second they come in the room. she needs a muzzle too. She used to be good, until she started dragging her butt and needed her anal glands expressed :[ My dad and one of the vet assistants needed to hold her to keep her there. I can't really image the discomfort of getting anal glands done :[

tatsxxx11
01-28-2002, 03:27 PM
Oh, I love your description!!:D Sorry, it's just that I can TOTALLY relate!! My Lab Star HATES anyone trying to trim her nails!! She wiggles, and squirms and trys to bolt!! When she was a PUPPY, it took the vet and a technician to trim them. Often, they will muzzle uncooperative pups with nail trimming. NOT because they will bite. But, because it seems to calm them down! At the kennel I work at, I must say, we handle the most resistant "clients" handily. Our groomers are great. Usually, at the most it may take two of us. We even get "rejects" from the vets' office!!;) I think though, that some mild sedation for Kia would probably be best so as not to overstress her. Maybe you could try practicing at home, e.g., holding her paws, massaging her feet, just "checking" her nails? Luckily for me, my Star is so active, that she grinds hers down to little pegs all on her own!! Phew!!;) Poor Kia!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Poopr Kia! I am laughing so hard though! You sure made hat vet break a sweat, didn't you, Kia, girl!

Drake used to hate getting his nails trimmed. But it has been almost 6 months since we last trim them. they do not seem to get long at all. I think the road files down his nail when we run every morning.

KYS
01-28-2002, 05:11 PM
I can relate too!!
Sheba hates having her nails cut. (I cut her quick
once and she has never forgotten)
Poor Kia, but the way you explained it
made me laugh. :)

ramanth
01-29-2002, 08:18 AM
Glad I could get a laugh out of you all. :D ;)

And it's good to know that Kia isn't the only psycho dog when it comes to trimming nails.

sabies
01-29-2002, 09:48 AM
Kia's adorable, and that is a funny story, the poor thing to feel so tortured! What allergies does she have? I've never heard of dog allergies (actually I'm glad I've never heard of them, I have my own allergies to deal with!).

ramanth
01-29-2002, 09:54 AM
Ohhh sabies. It's so horrible.

I don't know WHAT is making her itch. She scratches at her ears and her belly. She's got raw spots and scabs from all the scratching. We ruled out fleas.

The vet suspected it might be a food allergy. So she's on Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice Allergy Formula.

Her scratching slowed down for awhile but now she's back again scratching like mad. She's starting to have raw spots on her ears. I'm taking her back this Saturday.

I'm sure the stress of the breakup is contributing to it..... but it pains me to see her in so much discomfort.

LoudLou
01-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Nail trimming is a nightmare here also. I started trimming Louie's nails when he was a pup (Came home at 7wks) but we had a bad experience with an unethical vet and he has been a pain about it eever since. I can do his back nails by myself (I stand over him and trim them like your shoeing a horse) But those front ones are hard to do and it take 3 THREEE people at the vet's to get his front nails trimmed!!!:o

Louie had allergies this last summer, too. We changed his food and we had to put him on Benadryl. Turned out not to be his food but something in the air around our house... an "Inhaled Allergy" we live in a stinky "Paper Mill" town and although he doesn't itch anymore now that winter is here he still sneezes everytime you can smell "The Mill"

sabies
01-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Ugh, doesn't sound good, I hope something works to relieve the allergies!

K9karen
01-29-2002, 11:59 AM
I was really sorta glad to read that my Cody isn't the only one that spazzes out at the vet. I take a different route every time, even out of my way, and 2 blocks before we get there he just starts to whine! :( I love him dearly but was always embarrassed when he acted up in the waiting room when other dogs looked calm as could be. So now I put down the car windows and run in, announce myself and stand by the car until they call me in. Cody then runs right into his favorite exam room, and jumps on the table!
THEN comes the nail part..I can do anything to him except touch a nail, not pawpad, top of paw, which I can hold and rub, but Lord help anyone who touches a NAIL! Cody also gets muzzled to calm him down, but rarely can his fave vet do it quickly with no muzzle. Last week he broke a nail and I had to rush him to the vet cause it was sticking out horizontally (got caught on something outside) and he was limping and yelping, so you can imagine how fun that was.
The moment to moment tale of Kia's experience was hysterical, poor thing. I was so sympathetic and just pictured the whole thing! The agony for them goes right through me too! He's back to himself the second he leaves the office. Just like a little kid Whew! (ps..it's bad when food doesn't work!)
Last year Cody developed an allergy..runny nose and watery eyes. Well, whadya expect? He prarctically INHALES bushes, leaves, trees on his walks. A Benadryl helps!

sabies
01-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Just read about your breakup Ramanth. I got Sadie right after college, and she has been thru 2 major breakups (1 involving a move to CA and back). Not too many people understand why she is so important to me, but it's because she has been the most loyal companion ever thru my toughest times. Be strong for Kia, she is only sad because she wants you to be happy - hope your feeling better and better everyday cause trust me you will!

ramanth
01-29-2002, 12:49 PM
K9Karen and LoudLou.... do you give your pets over the counter people Benadryl? Cream on the sore spots or the pill?

sabies.... thank you. I'm doing much better and I think Kia is adjusting okay. Michael and I still talk and I think that's key. :)

Michael discovered that they may be black moss growing under the apartment complex and that may of been what was bothering Kia. But she's still scratching even now that I have her at my parents.

I can't find a thing on black moss on the internet. :(

LoudLou
01-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Our new Vet had us give Louie otc (Over the counter) people (Pill) Benadryl to ease the itching. You would have to check with your vet before giving it to Kia as to the correct dose.

I also gave Louie Oatmeal baths wich seemed to ease some of the itch. He is also allergic to grass (Of all Things!) and so I made a solution of diluted Oatmeal shampoo and soaked some paper towels to make "wet-ones" and had to wipe him down after coming in from outside. When it got really bad we broke down and bought the " Hartz anti-itch Hydrocortisone Spray with Aloe"

Hope that helps. Louie and I hope Kia gets better:)

purrley
01-29-2002, 01:05 PM
I enjoyed your nail trimming story too. My little Chi doesn't seem to mind it. I've trimmed her nails a couple times, and the vet trimmed them once, but I'm really nervous about it - seems the quick is so much closer to the end of the nail than a cats. I'm so careful, one wrong move and she probably wouldn't ever let me do it again not to mention the nail looks like it could bleed severly if I missed:(

Kfamr
01-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Lol. Simba the big strong manly dog Simba, had an accident when getting his nail trimmed. yes he pooed himself... geez what a scardy DOG

Barbiro
01-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Lady hates getting her nails trimmed. I don't see why since I started trimming them when she was a month old. I think it's because I accidentally cut her a couple of months ago. Ever since then it's a real dilema to do this and it usually takes my husband, my son and I holding her down.

What is the name of that sedative the vet perscribed?

ramanth
01-30-2002, 08:23 AM
LOL Kay Ann!!! Poor Simba.

Barbiro I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll check the label tonight and let you know tomorrow. :)