PDA

View Full Version : Do you have bad dreams?

anna_66
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
primabella's post in Kirsten's "What kind of phobia do you have" thread got me thinking about this.

I constantly have dreams that I'm being killed or chased by a killer:( I wake up knowing that I'm in my bed, in my room but still can't get a grasp on reality, it really stinks.

How about you? Do you have bad dreams?

catnapper
05-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I go through periods of time where I have bad dreams. I dream that I can fly. I would be flying around happy as can be, then all of the sudden somebody would start chasing me. Then I either can't go fast enough to get away, or high enough. All the while I KNOW I have the ability to do either. Then I wake up COLD because I've kicked all the blankets off the bed.

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I used to have horrid dreams about insects. In germany, you had to leave your windows open all the time to ventilate your home, and, they don't have screens on their windows. we used to get these giant hawk sized mosquitoes in our room at night, and, man, oh, man, did i ever have some whacked out dreams! And, i used to wake up screaming bloody murder and crying from some dreams. i punched my ex husband in the face and gave him a black eye once in my sleep. he said i was dreaming, and it woke him up. he said i knelt over him and balled my fist up, and, just clocked him. i had no idea, and, he came home later with a shiner. scary. i haven't done anything like that in years, though, thank goodness. :) i usually don't remember dreams anymore, unless it's between waking up, going back to sleep for an hour or so and waking up again.

Kfamr
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
It's funny you post this because last night I had the WEIRDEST dream ever.

I was on some boat in Wisconsin (I'm not sure WHY Wisconsin, as I've never ben there, but I was told it was Wisconsin)
I was stepping off and fell into the water. In the water I stepped on some plant which put some kind of spurs into my skin.
As the day went by a plant started growing in my foot. I pulled it out and it hurt like heck. There was a good sized hole in my foot, but I left it. Then i was looking at my foot again later and there was another plant inside the hole. I pulled at that one and it made an even larger hole. The hole was full of dead body tissue but for some reason I could still walk (yes, I said this was a weird dream..)

When I went home I was still pulling plants out of my foot. Except now when I pulled them out, flys and more spurs came with them.. so then the plants moved to my arms and legs. Each time I pulled m out more flies and spurs would come out. I tried going in cold, cold water.. it just made them worse. I tried going in boiling hot water, it made them worse.

Then a tomato started growing on my pinky. I cut it off, and another one grew. I cut that tomato off and a bunch of bugs attacked me.

That was basically it but I woke up feeling like I had holes in my feet.

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
It's funny you post this because last night I had the WEIRDEST dream ever.

I was on some boat in Wisconsin (I'm not sure WHY Wisconsin, as I've never ben there, but I was told it was Wisconsin)
I was stepping off and fell into the water. In the water I stepped on some plant which put some kind of spurs into my skin.
As the day went by a plant started growing in my foot. I pulled it out and it hurt like heck. There was a good sized hole in my foot, but I left it. Then i was looking at my foot again later and there was another plant inside the hole. I pulled at that one and it made an even larger hole. The hole was full of dead body tissue but for some reason I could still walk (yes, I said this was a weird dream..)

When I went home I was still pulling plants out of my foot. Except now when I pulled them out, flys and more spurs came with them.. so then the plants moved to my arms and legs. Each time I pulled m out more flies and spurs would come out. I tried going in cold, cold water.. it just made them worse. I tried going in boiling hot water, it made them worse.

Then a tomato started growing on my pinky. I cut it off, and another one grew. I cut that tomato off and a bunch of bugs attacked me.

That was basically it but I woke up feeling like I had holes in my feet.

wierdo. :D

moosmom
05-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I have strange dreams. When I do I write them down. I have a dream book and try to look them up and see what they might mean.

I dream alot about calling someone and no one answering, or going to houses and ringing doorbells and no one answers the door.

I also have dreams about drugs. My daughter told me NEVER to tell anyone about my dreams or I'll get locked up in a rubber room.

K9soul
05-13-2005, 02:51 PM
From time to time, I have dreams about losing someone close to me, both human and pet. Those are very difficult and frightening. I also sometimes dream that someone I've lost is alive again, and those can be hard too, to wake up and realize it was only a dream. I had those a lot the first couple years after I lost the collies, and I've had them off and on since I lost my grandpa in 2003.

I tend to be a fairly vivid dreamer so I've had everything from good, bad, terrifying, weird, and mundane dreams. Those bad dreams can really be hard to deal with. I find I often feel down/anxious the rest of the day when I wake from a bad dream.

smokey the elder
05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Sometimes I have dreams that I'm someone else, and I get the sense that I know everyone in the dream, but when I wake up it's whointheheck ARE these guys? Boy the brain does weird things when it's archiving data.

ParNone
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I use to have one recurring nitemare that involved a serial killer breaking into the house and waking up with him standing over me. But I don't have it anymore since I got the Collies. My mind must realize that nobody's getting in the house unannounced anymore. The decibal level of their barking alone would scare anybody away I'm sure.

Par...

IRescue452
05-13-2005, 03:12 PM
All the time. It took me two years to get my drivers' lisense because I had dreams that my brakes went out on the drive home. I also have strange dreams that birds are attacking our town and that I'm being chased by people. I need to lay off the junk food at night!

LKPike
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I usually have several really stupid, nice, or scary dreams, about 5 to sometimes 8 a night. The good thing is that I can usually tell which ones are worth writing down and interpreting(sp?) :)

wolfsoul
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Most of my dreams are quite happy and not scary at all. Every once in a while, I'll get a bad dream. When I dream, however, I always know I'm dreaming, and sometimes I have a habit of controlling my dreams. Only, the more I try to control it, the less control I have. Usually the BAD dream is of someone chasing me, trying to kill me -- these dreams aren't always scary -- sometimes they are alot of fun. The adrenaline rush is great. But if they have a knife in their hand, then it gets really scary. Eventually I stop and make friends with the person so that they won't kill me lol. It always turns out to be a misunderstanding. :p

But the worst, scariest, most horrible dream I can have is a dream about cookie monster. I used to sleepwalk all the time, so I always thought my cookie monster dreams were real when I was little. He was my friend, but one day he bit my foot. I had nightmares about him from the time I was 4 until the time I was maybe 13 or 14. I still have a dream about him every once in a while, but it's never that bad. In fact sometimes I encourage him to come up from under my bed so I can beat him LOL. I know, my dreams are weird.

sandragonfly
05-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I always, always have nightmares (deaths of me, cats and relatives) but they don't scare me anymore.. and still LOVE dreams. they mean something to me and tells me I've been suffocating. in them, I often finding myself hugging an object (bigger than me such as cement wall, tree, elephant or a pole).. :rolleyes:

anna, is someone is not treating you right? I hope not! but looks like it's the only that...

kay's dream, do you think you dreamed it because you tried so hard being a veggerian?

Vette
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I woke because of a bad dream today. :(
i normally dont remember what i dream. unless i wake up during it,, or it scares me awake...

the one nightmare i keep having is that i walk up to check the mail(which is a long ways from the house) cross the street and get the mail.. and go to cross the street to come back and theres this dude driving a grey truck. but hes driving it way slower then the speed limit. so i beat it across the street and try do the gate up as fast i can. but no matter how hard i try i cant lock the stupid thing up. and end up trying to run down our rather long drive way to the house.. but the guy in the truck always catches up to me. and i cant scream or cry out to my parents to let them know somethings up becasue im always out of breath. then i wake up. :confused:

doesnt sound too scary,, but i feel strange when i dream that. like i know im going to die if he catches me.. and i can feel a really terrible panic-fear corse through my body.

chocolatepuppy
05-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I've had many dreams about being in a maze of rooms. Usually it is someplace I've been, only different. And more rooms to go through everywhere I look. I suppose this means I'm confused? :confused:

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Hmmm..I guess I don't sleep enough to dream too much.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. :p

Toby's my baby
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
When i was younger I used to have really bad dreams. It was always the same one. It was me in this HUGE room, and I was very tiny, and this awful voice was telling me to get stuff, and do stuff, but you couldnt see the person only here the voice. It would tell me to go get a blanket or something from one end of the room and bring it to the other but i was tiny so it was nearly imposible. And there were obstacles in the way.

Ever since my brother was held hostage and almost killed i have had dreams of me having a bunch of brothers, living with them and my mom, in a small town and everyone was going crazy and I shot all my brothers, it wasnt my real family though. But it still freaks me out, because i had dreams, with the same people for the last 3-5 years, and now all of a sudden they are all terribly mean, and before they were so nice.

KYS
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Sometimes I have the same dreams as you,
being chases by a killer.
I wake up with my heart thumping and a sick feeling.

sirrahbed
05-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I dream often, vividly and the problem is that I often *remember* them:rolleyes: (I said that because I always hear that EVERYONE dreams, etc.)

A few are recurring and I bet some of you have these:

**when I was pregnant - I gave birth to kittens (figures)

**am in school, work, etc and realize I am nekkid:o

**try to run from someone and it feels like my feet are in cement

**trying to call for help from police or whatever and I can't get the sequence of numbers right and keep starting over.

** I beat up somebody with pipes or chains:mad:

**I can fly too;)

hello, 911? There is a lady in Ohio and one in Michigan - and well, they need to be put in rubber rooms.... :eek:

lizbud
05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't often have bad dreams, but when I do it's because the
events in the dream suddenly turn chaotic & I feel I can't control
the outcome.:eek: I always awake with heart pounding away.:D

Rachel
05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
For many, many years I would have the college dreams about being in college but not having been to class in a long time/not being prepared, etc. and not knowing what classes were being held on what days or what times. Even though I knew the dream was taking place where I went to college, it looked nothing like what my college campus/town really looked like.

The other recurring dreams I would have is driving and not being able to steer my car - the steering wheel somehow not controlling the car very well. Horrible!

Lastly would be trying to call someone with a dial phone and getting to some of the last numbers and making a mistake and having to start all over again.

Thankfully I haven't had some of these dreams within the last years, but I did have them for most of my life. They would wear me out.

Suki Wingy
05-13-2005, 08:05 PM
omg! for the good dreems I do the same exact thing!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
When I dream, however, I always know I'm dreaming, and sometimes I have a habit of controlling my dreams. Only, the more I try to control it, the less control I have.

Yes, I have HORRIBLE dreams, dreams from Layla's point of view going from terrible home to home to home. Also I have dreams a lot of Niño dieing at the age of 18 and me going into a deep dark depression, I have dreams of Niño getting lost and me wandering through the whole night in the pitch dark and cold rain. I always wakeup from these crying and they happen about once a week. I also can control what I dream about by thinking about something hard as I am falling to sleep and I will most likley have a dream about it. Once after watching that RB movie someone posted in Dog Memorial I had a dream that I was an adult and Clark was taking me through the Rainbow Bridge, it was a peaceful dream. I have forsed myself to beive fully in the RB, even though that little voise in my head tells me all the poem was made by someone who decided they wanted to create a whole place for all the animals to go when they die, and he/she wanted everyone to belive it. I say that if it makes me feel a whole lot better and I never find out it's not real, then why not belive in it wholey?

Sometimes I have happy dreams where Clark or Layla or Player is back with me.

auggie
05-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I go through periods of time where I have bad dreams. I dream that I can fly. I would be flying around happy as can be, then all of the sudden somebody would start chasing me. Then I either can't go fast enough to get away, or high enough. All the while I KNOW I have the ability to do either. Then I wake up COLD because I've kicked all the blankets off the bed.

Wow, I used have the exact same reoccurred dream, except that whatever was chasing me was extremely evil and out of this world. The flying motions I made to fly up and away were more like a swimmers breast stroke.

Finn’s mom, I’m from Germany, but I’ve never seen giant hawk sized mosquitoes there before.LOL! Are you sure they were mosquitoes?

:D

Glacier
05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't dream--well, I'm sure I do, I just don't remember them. I'd say on average I actually remember about one dream a year. It usually makes no sense at all, but it's not scary. My husband tells me that occasionally I act startled in my sleep, but I don't wake up.

K9soul
05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Rachel, I have VERY similar dreams to those you described. I still sometimes dream I'm back in college living in my dorm, but most the time it doesn't look like my dorm really did. I also dream about not being prepared for class or not being able to get to class or suddenly remembering a class that I'm supposed to be going to but haven't been to in a long time.

I also dream about driving, but in mine it's not steering that's a problem, I keep dreaming that I can't keep my eyes open while I'm driving, no matter how hard I try.

I've also had dreams of trying to call someone that I really need to get ahold of and I keep dialing the wrong number and having to start over. It's always very frustrating and I get more and more frantic to get the number dialed as time goes on.

I find it fascinating that you described recurring dreams so similar to some of my own.

animal_rescue
05-13-2005, 10:15 PM
I have these dreams about watching people kill each other in my neighborhood, that GIANT worms are chasing me and I can't move to get away from them, that my pets are attacking me and recently I had the worst dream I think I could ever have! I dreamt that my mom made me give Maggie to another family, it was so lifelike that I woke crying because I thought I had really given Maggie away, I got on the floor and slept with Maggie the rest of the night, just to make sure she wasn't gone.

sammy101
05-13-2005, 11:23 PM
i had a dream last weak,about the U.S and the Aliens from outerspace were in a war,and if course i was right in the middle of it:rolleyes: If you've seen 'Mars Attack',thats the aliens that were in my dream.It scared the crap out of me,i hate alien movies and all that stuff.:( :o

gemini9961
05-14-2005, 01:55 AM
I don't recall too many of my dreams. If I have one that I remember which is rare it's 99.5% of the time a bad one. I don't have good dreams :( And when I do remember one they make no sense and I can only recall them as soon as I wake up. Trying to remember them days later you can forget it. I don't wake up from my dreams either, however if my fiance wakes up from a dream, I wake up because he woke up. Strange...I also wake up if the dogs are moving around. I wonder if it's some kind of motherly nuturing instinct to protect my young and loved ones??? I try to figure my crappy dreams out but to no avail can I get them straight. Weird how the brain operates.

davidpizzica
05-14-2005, 07:36 AM
My dreams aren't usually bad, but weird. I had a dream that is very odd for a man. I dreamt that I was pregnant! Then I got all excited and made a thread on PT, asking for advice! Weird, huh?

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
these:

**when I was pregnant - I gave birth to kittens (figures)

Woohoo, now THAT would have been something, hey!!:p ;) :p

I have 2 bad dreams that come back regularly!

1) About 27 years ago, I wrecked my dad's car. The road was suddenly covered with ice, and my car started to spin and ended by crashing on to a huge tree on the other side of the road.
Now, 27 years later, I still have dreams where I am driving a car, and then I can NOT stop the car.... :eek: . VERY scary!!

2) I don't understand this second one. I dream that I cannot see, everything is so blurry. I cannot find my room, my car, other things, because everything is so dark and blurry. Scary too!!

primabella
05-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Usually my dreams make NO sense at all. Just all 7-8 of them melded together to confuse the heck out of me. Sometimes, I'll have these awful nightmares of being chased down or running, or the house being broken into. I've also had nightmares of being in a desert where there is shooting going on around me (sound familiar? :rolleyes: ).

A lot of the times my dreams are harmless and super dumb, but when they're really vivid, it's because they're nightmares. Makes sense I guess. ;)

cookieluver7
05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
I always have such weird dreams, lots of times not very scary, but weird.

Davidp I had a dream I was pregnant once, it wasnt as weird as you because I am a girl and you are a man, but I am only 15- 14 and the time when I had it. It was so weird when I woke up I thought the whole thing was real!

sirrahbed I have also had dreams I was doing things in my normal life and realized that I had forgotten to put my clothes on.

Last night I had a dream that I got mad at myself so I scrached my cheek really hard. This morning I woke up and my cheek hurt. Turns out that during the middle of the night I actually dug my finger nail into my cheek and I have a big sore there now. :p

Suki Wingy
05-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by animal_rescue
I I had the worst dream I think I could ever have! I dreamt that my mom made me give Maggie to another family, it was so lifelike that I woke crying because I thought I had really given Maggie away, I got on the floor and slept with Maggie the rest of the night, just to make sure she wasn't gone.
I know how you feel, I have these kinds of dreams every week.

Pam
05-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Very interesting thread! ;) I often have a recurrent dream where I am adding up a long row of numbers. When I get down to the bottom and, say, pretend the total was 125 and I put down the 5 and then can't remember what to carry. Of course then I have to start all over again. :rolleyes:

This last one is really old but was quite recurrent for a number of months before I got married. In the dream I would be coming down the aisle with my dad and as I glanced to the bride's side of the church there in one of the rows was the entire cast of the Beverly Hillbillies all dressed as they were on the show. I guess I thought some of my friends or relatives were a little odd. :) Never could figure that one out.

Mostly nowadays it is of someone coming from the woods behind my house and breaking into the house and trying to kill me. I wake up with my heart pounding like it is going to thump right out of my body. :eek:

lizbud
05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Pam

This last one is really old but was quite recurrent for a number of months before I got married. In the dream I would be coming down the aisle with my dad and as I glanced to the bride's side of the church there in one of the rows was the entire cast of the Beverly Hillbillies all dressed as they were on the show. I guess I thought some of my friends or relatives were a little odd. :) Never could figure that one out.

Pam, that is the funniest dream I've heard in a long time.:D :D

Did you think it was funny, or just very odd?

CountryWolf07
05-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I've had bad dreams, but I haven't had one for a LONG time. What I've dreamt of:

- Hanging out with the "FRIENDS" cast
- Meeting Garth Brooks, Dierks Bentley, Phil Vassar, Chris Cagle, Kenny Chesney..
-Hanging out with the "O.C" cast
- My old dog, Benny would be still alive
- Being famous, in Nashville
- Pregnant - I actually had 2 dreams that went together.. First I was really pregnant, and I was about a week due... then I dreamt that I was giving birth to it at a Rascal Flatts concert - and I woke up, because my hand was starting to hurt in my dream, then I woke up to my hand being numb, because I was sleeping funny.. That was freaky.

This just in - I dreamt last night that I was getting ready to go to a college -- move into the dorm - but this college was like, a CAVE - built like a Mammoth.. and when I walked in, there was a huge waterfall and like 40 steps that led to the waterfall... ok that part was just beautiful, but odd!

Karen
05-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't have bad dreams. I have literally never had a nightmare. In my dreams, if there are animals or people in danger, I rescue them from the danger - whether it be burning building, collapsing house, aliens hunting for them - you name it, I've conquered it in my dreams, and we all live happily ever after. Once, when I was 9, I woke with tears running down my face because one of the ponies hurt her paw, but the vet said she was going to be just fine. That's as close to a nightmare as I've ever had.

I'm not making this up - that's just how my dreams go!

Pam
05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Pam, that is the funniest dream I've heard in a long time.:D :D

Did you think it was funny, or just very odd?

Liz I don't really know what I thought. I just wished I would stop having it. :) I had one about a year or so ago where I had taken Trevor with me to the movies. He jumped down off the seat and began eating popcorn that people had been dropping on the floor and began choking on it. I grabbed him and ran into the lobby asking if there was a doctor in the house. I kid you not! Eventually he coughed it up and all was well. Now that's what I call a stupid dream, but hey aren't most them?! :)

LuckiLab03
05-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I have the craziest dreams too, and I write them down everytime I remember them, which makes it easier to remember ones you have after that.

One time I had a dream that I was being chased by a wolf (yet I love wolves) and I kept trying to run inside but I was battling to get the door closed with him pushing on it, at the same time we were having a family picnic and nobody noticed (I don't think that one's too hard to figure out :p). I have a bunch of chasing dreams but they usually involve me trying to lock the doors behind me but I can never lock the them fast enough.

I've also dreamt that I was cuddling Riley in my bed at night (illegal!) and petting her. I think that was the mother instinct as well, me wanting to protect her. Sometimes I would wake up, see she wasn't there and I would look allll over my room for a few minutes until I realized Riley wasn't allowed upstairs.

My most common dream is that I'm walking down a hallway and I can't walk. I'll be walking with a crowd and my knees won't function right so I just keep on falling.

I've had a few dreams about Brooke too. One, I was at my friends house and Brooke was there (this is after she died) but while I was petting her she just kept on fading away in front of me until she was gone (not hard to figure that one out either).

Then in another one, I called my mom to pick me up and she said she would bring Brooke (but we didn't realize what that meant). My mom walked in with her and we were both crying in happiness and we played with her and loved on her. She was herself, just as I had remembered her. I took that one to mean that I should remember her for how she was before the whole ordeal. Whenever I think about her, I think about how she didn't recognize us, or how she looked after she died. The dream showed me that that isn't how I should remember her, I should remember the happy times instead of the sad times.

A lot of times I know I'm dreaming too. One cool dream I had, I was dreaming I got a picture with John Ritter (who I loved), then I woke up in the dream and found the picture in my pocket, then I reeeeeeeally woke up and was confused. So I dreamt that I was dreaming.