PDA

View Full Version : Damn.....Dachshunds are expensive!

Aniland
05-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I went to a local puppy store that just started buisness two days ago. Well, they have 2 dachshunds: One cream and one chocolate. When I asked the price of the chocolate one, they said:

$2996.00 including tax

DAMN! Thats a crapload of cash for a dog! I got my Great Dane for 963 bucks! And the dachshund would also require a collar, bowl, tag, food, pen, water dish, etc. At the end of the day, if someone bought that dachshund for over 3.2k!

I really feel bad for the little guys because with the puppy store setting such high prices, they might not ever get homes! Damn those people are greedy! At least I got to hold the Dachshund for 10 minutes...:( I miss him...

caseysmom
05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Buying from a pet store would just support puppy mills anyway. I am sure you can find one through a rescue.

luvofallhorses
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Buying from a pet store would just support puppy mills anyway. I am sure you can find one through a rescue.

I agree 100%. :)

There are 1,544 dacshunds waiting in shelters for homes.

Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com)

wolfsoul
05-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, pet stores overcharge. They make TONS of money off of buying sick, inbred, disgustingly genetically problematic puppy mill dogs for cheap, and then selling them for outrageous prices that will nowhere near cover the amount of vet bills that poor pup will have throughout it's life.

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Pet stores aren't the greatest places to get a puppy. But, they do charge a lot more and they'll get the price they're asking. It's a status symbol a lot of times for people when they buy from stores, and, money isn't really a problem. But, they charge a lot more because they can pay a lot to get the dog in the first place (not always the case, but, sometimes), and, they charge you for all the food and care they give the dog while it's at the store, and, a lot of times, there's a health "guarantee" of sorts that comes with the dog, too. Like several vet visits, or anything viral that they might have gotten before leaving the store, they will sometimes cover vet bills for. And, a lot of people tend to think they charge according to size. But, that's not the case at all. They charge a lot of times, based on the popularity of the breed. It all sortof sucks, but, yorkies can cost more at a pet store than a german shepherd. I worked briefly at a pet store, and, the chihuahas (geez, i know i spell that wrong and differently every time) were one of the most expensive. It's usually all way too much, I'd pay for a dog from a reputable breeder before I'd pay for one from a pet store. Ideally, though, rescue is the best way to go, for everyone's sake. I got my dog through a breeder, and, it's not at all the way I wanted to, but, I love him, and, he's healthy. It can sometimes work out, but, it really is best to get a pet from a breed rescue or shelter. You might want to censor your choice of words, too, just as a heads up. Asterisks are even better than spelling the word completely out. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I swear like a sailor. :) But, it can be offensive and deemed inappropriate, as this forum is frequented by young people. check out doxie rescues if you want to look into getting another pup.

lute
05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
i agree with everyone else. definatly find one in a rescue or responsible breeder. never from a petstore!

Logan
05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Just the thought of a "puppy store" sickens me. :(

moosmom
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
PLEASE!! There are tons of daschunds that need rescuing all over the place!! Don't contribute to puppy mills. It'll end up costing you alot more money in the long run because 99% of the puppies that come from puppy mills are sick, and often suffer from Parvo.

Here's a link to daschund rescue that finds you one via your zip code.

Good luck.

http://adopt-a-dachshund.1-800-save-a-pet.com/?OVRAW=Daschund%20Rescue&OVKEY=dachshund%20rescue&OVMTC=standard

Suki Wingy
05-13-2005, 03:17 PM
DO NOT FEED THE MILLERS!

LKPike
05-13-2005, 03:24 PM
awww I understand missing them :( a pet store in Rivergate has a "scarlet" macaw ((I think hes actually a Green-Winged, but since pet stores cant even get the birds sexs right, what can one expect)) :rolleyes: anyway, their charging nearly $1,000 more than what responsible breeders charge! :eek:

I miss him so much I've been known to cry when we leave the store :p

animal_rescue
05-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Here's a Daschund rescue DARE (http://www.daretorescue.com/)

whitewolf
05-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree, not all pet stores get dogs from puppy stores though, but most of them do , I would rather get one from a shelter, there are tons there waiting to find homes

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by whitewolf
I agree, not all pet stores get dogs from puppy stores though, but most of them do , I would rather get one from a shelter, there are tons there waiting to find homes

You're right, they do get them directly from breeders, too, but, if a breeder is going to give a puppy to a company not knowing who the dog will end up with, they're not exactly the best sort of breeder, either. It's all just so messy! :(

wolfsoul
05-13-2005, 06:26 PM
not all pet stores get dogs from puppy stores
Anyone who breeds for the purpose of selling to petstores is a puppy mill. It doesn't matter how clean or well-taken care of the pups or parents are..if the pups are in a petshop, they are from a puppy mill (with the exception of people giving them accidental litters). A paper mill supplies paper. A puppy mill supplies puppies. Even if the pups' parents are registered, health certified, champions, with outstanding pedigrees, and the petstore was only given one litter a year. In my opinion it doesn't matter -- those pups are in a petshop, so they automatically come from a puppy mill.

Obviously it's difficult to check the backgrounds of wthe puppies and where they came from (breeders usually remain anonymous, for obvious reasons), so it's best to stay away from pet store puppies altogether. I really wish they would make it illegal to sell puppies and kittens. :(

Vette
05-13-2005, 07:20 PM
You can adopt a dog for heaps less then that and still get the loving friend you hoped for..

why buy your best friend..
when you can save one

Uabassoon
05-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Like most people said, buying a dog from a pet store is usually a bad idea. Dachsund's are also so prone to back problems that I wouldn't suggest buying from anyone other than a great breeder. You want to meet the parents and family and know their medical history. You also want to be certain that their parents have been tested for any diseases that are prone to dachsunds.

Toby's my baby
05-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Please rescue one, I beg you! Like everyone else said, please dont support puppy mills! That is really expensive though, the dogs around here are only about $300 dollars for a dachshund, but again, PLEASE dont buy from a pet store.