PDA

View Full Version : Look what Peej found!

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
It's a birdie!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/sning/IM000177.jpg

He loves looking at the birdies and squirrels but he's never actually caught a bird before. Once he had it, he had no idea what to do with it. So he stood there with his butt in the air barking at it. :rolleyes: I didn't get a picture of that.

Is it true you're not supposed to touch a baby bird? Imade sure both cats were in, got the dogs inside and closed the door, but I don't know what I should do to help the bird.

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Aw, poor little bird. I hope he makes it!

Logan
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
You can touch the bird, Dawn. Can you reach the nest or even see it? It's best to try and leave it where it is, if possible, if the parents are still trying to feed it. But with the cats and dogs, I know that is hard.

If you don't see any signs that the parents are coming around, it would probably good to call a wildlife rehabilitator. You can get the number from your veterinarian, probably. I just hope it is a species that they are willing to save.

Let us know what happens.

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I went back out to have a look at it and it squawked really loud and ran away. I'll go take a look and see if I can find it's nest. He seems healthy, just really scared.

Thanks, Logan. :)

luvofallhorses
05-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I hope you find his nest, thanks for helping him :)

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I went back outside (and got bitten by two mosquitos) and the bird had walked into the corner of the fence and had his face there. So i got him out of the corner and was trying to walk him back to where I found him and this huge bird came flying really low making a lot of noise. Must've been Mom and she wasn't happy. I thought she was gonna get me. lol

I think he'll be fine since his mom saw him. ;)

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
The bird is still there. Everytime I try to get close, Mom gets really mad at me, but she won't take him. :confused:

K9soul
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
She's probably looking after him where he is. There's no real way she can get him back to the nest as there's no way for her to pick him up, and he may not have flight feathers to learn to fly yet. We have baby birds from time to time sitting in our yard because we have so many birds nest in the fir trees surrounding the yard. Generally I leave them be as long as it's evident there's a parent looking after them.

IRescue452
05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Good Peej didn't hurt the bird. Somebody needs a treat. Autumn sits by our bird feeder and picks off birds in mid-air and brings them to me without harming a feather then trys to get them again when I let them go. I have to let her out in the front yard when the babies are learning to fly from the nests on our porch. I'm sure this baby was learning to fly and will take off in a few days.

LKPike
05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Must've been Mom and she wasn't happy. I thought she was gonna get me. lol

lol! I wish I coulda seen that! ;)

Mommy bird will probably look after him as long as she knows where he is, but thats probably gonna be a challenge for you guys with 2 dogs and kittys :( Good luck! and good boy PJie! trying to help the lost little feathery thing like that.. :)

PJ's Mom
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LKPike
lol! I wish I coulda seen that! ;)

Oh sure laugh at me. :D

lute
05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
poor thing.:( there was a baby bird on the ground last week and i saw the momma come down and feed him and take care of him, but he ended up dieing, but i'm not sure how.:(

Vette
05-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Stay as far away from the baby bird as you possibly can.. perhaps watch the baby bird from inside your house window and keep your pooches away from it... believe it or not,, theres actually quite a few diferent kind of birds that try to learn how to fly too soon and they fall out of the nest... or maybe the nest is too small to begin with and they fall out..and the parents continue to take care of the babies on the ground from there.

baby birds are extreamly delicate and can die very easily in human hands. and need to be fed like every 3 hours or something like that. :eek:

whitewolf
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
If its able to walk i'll probably be fine, momma birds feed them even though they leave the nest, Good Peej :)