PDA

View Full Version : what are some of your favorite quotes?

finn's mom
05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
My favorite quote ever is this, from Dr. Paul Farmer:

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world."

Amazing, and, it is true for everything! Every situation that comes up that I've seen, I've thought about it from Dr. Farmer's perspective, and, he is absolutely correct. Everything from racism, sexism, hate crimes, arguments about religion, politics, everything! It really does all stem from that one thought. And, everyone in here knows how true that statment is in regards to the pet population, and, animal cruelty. So true.

Anyway, my signature in here contains one of South Carolina's state mottoes, and, I love it, as well.

"While I breathe, I hope"

Tell me what your favorites are!

tomkatzid
05-12-2005, 02:03 PM
my sig line
Katz

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
For those who understand French:
Je pense, donc je suis!!

meaning: I think, so I am!:)

and this one:
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Suki Wingy
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
It summs up the dog

[On one side of the pedestal supporting the urn containing Boatswain's remains, he had inscribed: ]

Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity strength without insolence courage without ferocity and all the virtues of man without his vices This praise which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes is but a just tribute to the memory of Boatswain, a dog who was born at Newfoundland, may 1803, and died at Newstead Abbey, November 18, 1808.

finn's mom
01-29-2007, 10:27 AM
"I have discovered that every moment you devote to thinking about someone who has wronged you is a minute you have stolen from a much worthier pursuit: attracting those people who will help you."

"You are here to enrich the world and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand." -- Woodrow Wilson

"Every second you dwell on your past, you steal from your future. Every minute you spend focusing on your problems, you take away from finding your solutions."

"Let us be kinder to one another." -- Aldous Huxley

"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world." -- Gandhi

These are all quotes taken from a book I recently made a thread about (the one on perspective). The author is Robin Sharma, the book is Who Will Cry When You Die? and it is full of gems like these. The ones that don't have a name after them are Robin Sharma's words. :)

lvpets2002
01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
:) Other than the ones under my siggy.. My most favorite "Do Untoo Others As You Would Have Them Done Untoo You" I so beleive in this for two & four legged humans..

finn's mom
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
:) Other than the ones under my siggy.. My most favorite "Do Untoo Others As You Would Have Them Done Untoo You" I so beleive in this for two & four legged humans..

You know, that's always been a favorite of mine, but I'm realizing now it's not always applicable. I can handle people sarcastic with me, but not everyone can...so, I've tweaked it a little in some situations "treat others the way they want to be treated." :) But, for the most part, I love the Golden Rule.

Karen
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I have lots of ones I like, but this is one of my real favorites:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

I have typeset several quote book collections for clients, so have many quotes at my disposal!

cassiesmom
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
My loves in life are music and cats, so here are a few of my favorites...

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." -- Albert Schweitzer

"Music is love in search of a word." -- Sidney Lanier, American poet
"Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

And a few I just like...
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" -- Steven Wright, comic
"If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?" -- Lily Tomlin
"Life moves pretty fast ... If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." -- from Ferris Bueller's Day Off; I could do another whole post with just movie quotes!

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood... Make big plans; aim high in hope and work." -- Daniel Hudson Burnham, American architect; Director of Works, World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago (1893); designer, Plan of Chicago (1909)

sumbirdy
01-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.

I don't know who this is from, but I love it.

sirrahbed
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I saw a quote here on PT recently that made me stop and think...
we are spiritual beings living a temporary human experience

I think I have the wording right. Has anyone else seen this quote on someone's siggy here? I would like to know where it comes from :)

Lut - "I think therefore I am" (Latin:Cogito ergo sum) is the way I learned this quote in college philosophy - not sure why we learned it it Latin because it really is a french quote.

GreyhoundGirl
01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
The best quote ever... *suspence rising *

"Why Fight When you Can Negotiate?" ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

BOBS DAD
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I have lots of ones I like, but this is one of my real favorites:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

While we are on Mark Twain,

here is my favorite all time quote which is also by him!!! And Oh so true...

"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years".

popcornbird
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, they become destiny.

shais_mom
01-30-2007, 01:26 AM
My sister gave this one to me when I was a senior in High School.
Go Forth like a Flame and all in your path will be consumed.

And this one I got in an email, and I'm trying hard to RETHINK - and RE-LIVE it... and follow it... especially recently......

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
And
Psalms 23 always speaks to me....

:)
http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Psa/Psa023.html
{{hugs}}

BOBS DAD
01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
My sister gave this one to me when I was a senior in High School.
Go Forth like a Flame and all in your path will be consumed.

And this one I got in an email, and I'm trying hard to RETHINK - and RE-LIVE it... and follow it... especially recently......

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
And
Psalms 23 always speaks to me....

:)
http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Psa/Psa023.html
{{hugs}}

I like those...

A guy (I didn't catch the name) is apparently considering a run for the Presidency. He is a Republican I think... and he is taking the position of an everyday citizen. He wants everyone to know that the main difference between himself and his would be competition is wealth. He states that he had nothing and has worked his way up to where he's at, and he says of the others...

"they were born on third base and they go around telling folks they 'hit a triple'"!!!

I really thought that was clever!

Jadapit
01-30-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure who said this, but I really like it!

"Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it."

"We must be the change we want to see in the world"
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Sevaede
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi

Kalei
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
hmm...I've known lots of quotes I like and can't bring them all to my head right now, but all the ones that have been listed so far are so great. I guess I like these ones too:

"Better to ask forgiveness than permission" --haha a good way to get yourself into trouble :p

"Three parts Brave, one part fool."

"Live life to the fullest"

...oh man right now I can't remember any more.

elizabethann
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

Mahatma Gandhi

dogzr#1
01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
That was also my favorite quote, Michelle. I mean, just because it came out in PotC but also because it has a good meaning behind it.

Another favorite quote of mine is the one in my signature.
"The only creatures evolved enough to convey true love are dogs and infants" ~Johnny Depp

Chilli
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
As displayed in my signature:

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight."
- Albert Swhweitzer

Alysser
01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
"Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathe away."

I saw this one in a travel magazine, with a picture of a beautiful island, and I will NEVER forget it.

captain
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
"Do not judge your worth by what others think of you"

"Life is too short for regrets. Everything you do or have done, you did for a reason. Face that, and move on"

Nice thread to start!!

cmayer31
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

And another from Mr. Twain: "The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."

cocker_luva
01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
heres a quote from the movie "Dirty Love" that is my absolute favorite!!

"HERE'S TO THE MEN THAT WE LOVE. HERE'S TO THE MEN THAT LOVE US. BUT THE MEN THAT WE LOVE WILL NEVER LOVE US, SO F*CK ALL YOU MEN. HERE'S TO US!!!"

DJFyrewolf36
01-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, they become destiny.

This is totally one of my favorites too, a philosophy I try very much to live by.

Another favorite is one I came up with a long time ago

"One who is perfect is nothing at all. We strive for perfection, therefore we strive for extinction"

And of course my siggy ;)

CathyBogart
01-31-2007, 01:18 AM
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Lobodeb
01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
This one is on my myspace profile, but I'm not sure who said it, "The most dangerous place in the world is between a mother and her child."

And in reference to long distance relationships (again, don't know who said it)
"Distance can ignite a strong flame and extinguish a weak one."