PDA

View Full Version : What do you do???

gemini9961
05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
What do you do as a job??? This is just a get to know you post. What does everyone do for a job?? If no job, but you go to school then put that down. If you're a stay at home parent then post that. I just wanted to know what everyone does for a living.
Ok I'll start. I work at an Eye Bank...yes you read that right an Eye Bank. As in human eyes. We are a not for profit organization that restores sight to those in need of cornea transplants. We also procure whole eyes for research for the study of blindness and eye diseases. See our website below. www.lionseyebank.com/ (http://www.lionseyebank.com/)
I realize this is not a "normal" job by any means. I can answer further questions anyone has as I am sure there will be plenty. My job there now is to call back the hospitals and gather further info about the expired patient and if they are suitable we contact the family for consent and then send out a coordinator to procure the tissue. I'm sure everyone is wondering what is wrong with her??? Don't worry I get strange looks all the time when I tell people what I do.

finn's mom
05-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm unemployed right now, but, interviewing for different things. I'm really hoping to get into the insurance business, I take my test on Monday. :)

LKPike
05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
eyeballs are the only things that seriously gross me out :( probably because its the window to the soul, and an eye without its body and soul is just..... *Cringe*

I'm currently stay at home mom of 5 feathers, and 2 furry ones. Going for temporary delivery job at the Tennessean [ newspaper], to pay for my veterinary education :p

gemini9961
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LKPike
[B]eyeballs are the only things that seriously gross me out :( probably because its the window to the soul, and an eye without its body and soul is just..... *Cringe*

A lot of people say that..I or any employee has to get used to it and if you can't then it won't work for you. I had to learn to look at it as a job and try not to connect myself to the person. It's not a job for everyone. You have to look at it as you are helping someone else out somewhere. We sent a lot of corneas to 3rd world countries where a lot of people over there are blind or near blind. Some of the pictures we get from the surgeons over there are amazing. Those people are so grateful to be able to see again. In a lot of those countries if one has no vision they can easily be attacked and killed, so any help they receive is a god send to them. :)

robinh
05-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I carry a donor card to donate my eyes if they are usable when I die. My father was blind and I think this is my way of helping someone like him.

As for my job, I'm a secretary for a trade organization. Nothing glamourous - it pays enough to keep the doggies in food, medicine and toys.

christa
05-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by gemini9961
Ok I'll start. I work at an Eye Bank...yes you read that right an Eye Bank. As in human eyes. We are a not for profit organization that restores sight to those in need of cornea transplants.

I have to ask . . . Is it just a *rumor* that you all pay moritions off to *take* the dead's corneas without their families knowing?

:eek: Surely that's not true . . . I've just never had a chance to ask anyone that actually works in the *industry* . . .

As for me, I own a business and work from home. It is a transcription/printing service . . . my clients are insurance companies, lawyers, investigators & people in litigation.

binka_nugget
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I work in SilverCity (theatre owned by Famous Players). It's only my third job but I love it and don't plan on leaving until I set up my own dog training/daycare business.

moosmom
05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I work as a secretary at a funeral home in Flat Rock, Michigan.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I am a house-mom now :) . But I used to teach: I am a teacher for primary schools (ages 6 -> 12), all subjects . I loved my job, and I think I was a good teacher. But I was unable to be a good teacher AND a good mom at the same time, so I quit my job for my family. I've never regretted it, although I miss working with kids a lot :(

gemini9961
05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by christa
I have to ask . . . Is it just a *rumor* that you all pay moritions off to *take* the dead's corneas without their families knowing?

:eek: Surely that's not true . . . I've just never had a chance to ask anyone that actually works in the *industry* . . .

As for me, I own a business and work from home. It is a transcription/printing service . . . my clients are insurance companies, lawyers, investigators & people in litigation.

Oh heaven's no. We obtain consent from all families before we procure the eye tissue. However, if you are a registered donor in the state of FL we can by law obtain the tissue without consent from the family. I myself do not like this idea since I believe the family should be asked even if they were a registered donor. There is no way we could pay off the morticians because we have to obtain a medical history on the donor which requires talking to the family and/or reviewing the donor's medical chart. I have never heard that rumor. In order to transplant any cornea we have to test for HIV, Hep B & C, Lymphoma, Leukemia and Syphillis. We also have to maintain a sterile environment when procuring the tissue. It's a pretty complex process to get it all done. We would never pay off anyone to take the corneas.

wolfsoul
05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I am finishing up my last year of highschool while working at Petcetera and Furry Friends Grooming Parlour. :)

christa
05-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Oh heaven's no. We obtain consent from all families before we procure the eye tissue. However, if you are a registered donor in the state of FL we can by law obtain the tissue without consent from the family. I myself do not like this idea since I believe the family should be asked even if they were a registered donor. There is no way we could pay off the morticians because we have to obtain a medical history on the donor which requires talking to the family and/or reviewing the donor's medical chart. I have never heard that rumor. In order to transplant any cornea we have to test for HIV, Hep B & C, Lymphoma, Leukemia and Syphillis. We also have to maintain a sterile environment when procuring the tissue. It's a pretty complex process to get it all done. We would never pay off anyone to take the corneas.

Good to know!

I just HAD to ask . . . ;) No hard feelings . . . ???

gemini9961
05-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by christa
Good to know!

I just HAD to ask . . . ;) No hard feelings . . . ???

Nope I am glad you asked and happy that I could answer your question.

Luvin Labs
05-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Well this will be a boring post for me... kinda

my full time job is working 4-midnight (sometimes having different hours, but I work that some weekdays) monitoring satellite equipment and calling a tech when something goes wrong. basically i'm bored outta my butt and I can surf the net and look for jobs while I'm at this one. hah started this July 2004 till now.

my 'part time' job is with www.petattention.com walking dogs during the day. I either do 30 minute walks or 20 minute walks and get paid 6 or 8 bucks depending on length of walk. This helped out at first for extra cash for bills and stuff but I went from 5-7 walks per day down to 1-2 per day :( so now I need to really look for a day job or find another petwalking company that will give me more walks per day since it will seriously hurt my pockets for money.

NoahsMommy
05-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Wow!! I think what you do is AMAZING!!!! Good for you and the organization you work for. Even if someone feels eyes are "icky"...they may one day benefit from the research you do...and I think you should be commended.

I am an office manager for the Autism Center for Treatment. My boss is the greatest boss and a continual inspiration for me. In my interview, I left knowing I want to be like her in any way I can. I love, love, love my job. Its so busy and no matter what I do, I see a direct benefit to the kiddos we help.

I work for my boss, a PhD Child Clinical Psychologist as well as 30 different families and 35 different therapists. I do everything for the office, my boss, kiddo therapy schedules, and anyone else that needs me.

Did I say that I love my job yet?? ;) I REALLY do.

I'm also trying to eventually earn my BA in Psych and Biology and then go to medical school. I'd like to come an internist...then a GI and eventually specialize.

Suki Wingy
05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I am thinking about starting a cafepress shop because I just realized that I love to make tee shirt designs for fun and everyone always tells me they would buy a shirt with one of my designs on it. People on pt would get to request a design if I did. As for real job, I have changed my mind, I would like to be either a horse vet or a farrier, wichever is more flexible, that way I could visit my horse easyer and also I hope I could handle dogs on the weekends as well as keep a hopefully growing cafepress shop.

davidpizzica
05-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Amber, I have an interesting outdoor job, I'm a groundskeeper on a golf course. (no, I don't golf!).

gemini9961
05-13-2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by david p
Amber, I have an interesting outdoor job, I'm a groundskeeper on a golf course. (no, I don't golf!).

That's interesting enough. I have spent a lot of time on the golf course (the fiance plays). Keep up the good work :)

lute
05-13-2005, 04:17 AM
i don't do anything right now. i quit my job working "pet care" at a stupid petstore. i dunno WHAT i was thinkin gettin that job. it's against everything i believe.

i want to become a dog trainer or something along tat line. not sure yet. i was goin to work with my conformation instructor, but now my parents are thinkin of moving back to southern indiana.:( i don't wanna go! i love Nashville too much! the move will change my plans big time.

King Spartacus
05-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Mamma prints T-shirts for a living... she loves her job!!!

She's facinated with the Eye Bank... What a super job! You're helping people get their sight back! It doesn't get much better than that!!! Unfortunately, mamma has a thing about her eyes herself... she carries a donor card, but is donating everything but her corneas... Which is a great shame, especially since she saw her grandfather go blind as a child... hopefully one day mamma will get over the fear of donating her corneas, and change her donor details!

CatMama78
05-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I do back office work for an investment company. They do research on stocks and run several funds. It's boring, it stinks, I hate it.

anna_66
05-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
Then on the side, I just started selling/making decals for cars etc. Trying, mainly to focus on decals, for homes, so fire and rescue knows how many pets, what kind, etc are in the home, in case of an emergency. Most people, though, want personal decal of their pets for their cars. And of course I make decals for our Biz and any other kind, someone might want. I just like doing the pets, better. :D
Well that's very cool! Wish I would have known before I ordered my decals off ebay:o

As for my job, I'm a waitress/server at Red Lobster:D

ILoveReptiles
05-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmm. What do I do...

Every day I drive 30 minutes north of my townhouse, sit at a desk and stare at a computer screen all day. I write hundreds of lines of Visual Basic code on a daily basis.

I'm a contracted Senior-Level Software Engineer for a major government defense contractor that builds props and engine parts for Jets.

;)

davidpizzica
05-13-2005, 03:14 PM
That's interesting enough. I have spent a lot of time on the golf course (the fiance plays). Keep up the good work :) If you count 9 years of caddying, I've been at this golf course foe 44 years! (I live near to it)

cocker_luva
05-13-2005, 03:40 PM
im a front desk attendent and assistant at a dog grooming shop.

cocker_luva
05-13-2005, 03:45 PM
We obtain consent from all families before we procure the eye tissue. However, if you are a registered donor in the state of FL we can by law obtain the tissue without consent from the family.

my mom will donate all but her heart and her brain. me i'll donate anything, if im dead and someone needs help, get the knife ready, cuz im coming apart! (not to gross anyone out). like they say that donating 1 pint of blood saves 3 lives, damn, take me apart, how many lives can that save?!?:D

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't have a job right now but I would like to be a Vet or a dog groomer...

Toby's my baby
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I am still in highschool, so i dont have a "real" job yet. I do odd jobs here and there. I work for my dad most of the summer. He is a landlord and I usually paint his rentals, clean after jerk who can't clean them themselves move out. I also mow lawns:o , which really sucks, but I mow lawns in the trailor courts around town, which have tiny lots and it only takes about 4 min. and i get $10 bucks and a tan, so its all good ;). lol

Rachel
05-13-2005, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE][i] You have to look at it as you are helping someone else out somewhere. :)

My nephew, a Captain in the Air Force, is the recipient of a transplanted cornea. Yes, you are helping *someone else out there*. Thank you!

crsvstang
05-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I am a stay at home mom, I have two daughters. I would like find a part time job but not to sure what I want do yet.

Oggyflute
05-13-2005, 09:48 PM
By profession, I guess I'm a Retail Operations Manager. I've currently got a contract with a BP franchise, but seeing as BP has just bought the franchise back, I can see myself getting sucked back in to the corporate world.:(

gemini9961
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
My nephew, a Captain in the Air Force, is the recipient of a transplanted cornea. Yes, you are helping *someone else out there*. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing that because I really don't know of too many people outside of my job that have received corneas. I know of course the patient's who receive them from our eye bank. I was just excited to see what someone out there had their vision restored and also that he's a captain in the Air Force. I suppose he wouldn't have been able to stay in the Air Force had he not received that cornea. :D